Plug or flap?

FireCapt_Joe

I watched a video of a guy cutting a triangle and flapping it over instead the plug.

I tried it and it works pretty slick.

Anyone else have preference to a circular plug versus the flap?

:?:

Joe

Hmmm, that's a thought. I think I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it worked. Thanks!

I'm a flapper.....

Dug a few plugs in the early days. Then some were dug up by skunks so I switched to flaps. Problem solved pretty much. I cut a horseshoe style flap.
Marty

I have found that horseshoe shaped flaps work well for me. The V is good when I use the knife but if I am using the pedator shovel, the U shape is more natural to the tool. I dont like pugs because the grass seems to die most of the time.

I let my pinpointer decide.

If it chatters...pizza slice.

If it weakly squeeks....horseshoe flap.

No sound.....deep plug.

If I can poke the shallow coin with my knife tip, I lever it out. Otherwise plug every time. Flaps can be frustrating at times to handle. It's awkward for me to search the root base when attached to the ground.

Jennings

Most of the places I hunt , parks included , already have chunks of grass missing or dead and small holes dug by critters/kids. I dont worry about killing the grass with plugs unless there is going to be an exceptionally large amount of them , and there rarely is around here since finds are few. You can be so paranoid about what you are doing that it makes more work for you but in the long run , plug or flap , public opinion is not on your side anyway so it makes no difference. There are places where I will cut a flap but not generally. Consider this , if you cut a flap it will have to be bigger than a plug in order for it to fold over and lay flat enough to be searched through , so with all the effort you put into saving the grass you can wind up "looking" like you are doing more damage in the long run. A little 3 inch plug missing or dead isnt anything more than what the squirrels are doing anyway.

It depends for me. After my first video of me digging on youtube I had a comment from someone about my holes. I had shown where I'd dug a previous junk target and, though I filled the hole with the plug, the edges were clearly visible.

It would've been easy to get upset and say "hey I was in a cow pasture! There are pocket gopher and badger mounds all over. The owners absolutely didn't care, even when I told them I always filled by holes in. Plus the ground is very sandy and doesn't hold sod real well, a large plug stays together.

But....I do represent the hobby, and I think they were right in letting me notice how I left my holes. The thing is I was in an area that the activity when coins were lost stopped in the mid 1930's. When I got a silver reading I sure didn't want to scratch them. I think I've found 3 dimes and 4 quarters. 1 dime is a Merc. and 1 quarter is a standing liberty. The rest are all barbers. So considering where I was, I usually dug large plugs, it depends on the depth reading.

If I were in a well groomed park or yard I would certainly use a rectangle or horseshoe type flap and a towel. I would also take more time pinpointing.

Just my 2 cents.

NebTrac

Youtube

Neb, you could post a video of yourself saving kittens from a flaming building and some person would complain you didn't get in there fast enough.

Don't worry one little bit about others if you are filling your holes.

Jennings

I usually just cut a 5 inch plug then just put it back, I might have to try this folded way.

I usually dig a plug. Our soil up here is so loose it's almost impossible to dig a flap and still keep it together. If I'm doing someones lawn I always sprinkle grass seed in the plug just before I seat it firmly back in the hole. I have NEVER had any complaints. I have "honed" my pinpointing skills down to only digging a very small hole. I use a brass probe a lot when the target is shallow. ;):yes:

I always use the flap when working lawns. I also use a towel to put the dirt on when I'm digging. It's easier to put the dirt back by just lifting the far side of the towel, but more importantly, all of the dirt goes back in the hole leaving no tale tell signs of digging.

Neither - I pull all my finds out of the ground using my telekinetic powers.

Just kidding - usually I use a flap, unless it falls apart or I'm digging in a place where it doesn't matter if I make a little mess. I find flaps can be more convenient if you make them a little bigger so they don't get in your way as much.

Nice video Dan. I like the flap idea, seems to work good in areas with good sod the best. I use a lesche digger instead of a hunting knife. It looks more like a garden trowel than a knife. With the way kids and people are now days I would hate to be in a park with a big knife and have a kid go running to mommy telling her "that man has a big knife"! Might be hard to explain to the cops why I am carrying a big knife in a public park or school yard.:confused: That is also why I detect when few people are around. I have tried the pizza flap and the horseshoe flap and haven't decided which works better, only thing I can determine is if it is a small target like a coin the pizza flap, if it is bigger maybe the hoseshoe?

Back
Top Bottom