E Trac Xchange question

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Have not hooked my E Trac up to my PC yet. Does the search coil part of the machine turn off when you hook up the E trac to the PC via the USB cable? I know it stays active when I am scrolling through the menu of the detector itself when I am not hooked up to the PC.
Any good videos to show a first timer how to download and transfer programs to my E Trac.
Thanks

Yes. Hook the E-Trac up to the USB on your PC and E-Trac then trun your E-Trac on. You should hear you PC boink from finding the device. Then run the Exchange program.

I downloaded the two programs to a folder on my hard drive and it was easy after I opened the exchange program to point it to that folder to upload them to the machine.

HOWEVER, I have only done it once and I am no expert of this software by any means. I am an expert at repairing computers only.

Good question, I've always had my coil disconnected when I uploaded programs to it. I don't think it matter, but I'd assume it would shut the coil off when it's connected via USB.

The uploading and downloading of programs wasn't a a fully thought out concept by minelab and most users don't use it. It was always easier for me to create the patterns on my E-trac than to mess with going through the computer.

I am just a bit confused. I have uploaded the Andy S coin "program" but it looks like that is actually the discrimination pattern. I have to some how find the settings and match them with the disc pattern?
Modes, patterns, settings, downloads, I'm getting a headache!

Yeah in all my years of using the Etrac I never bothered uploading anything. Eventually I got to the point where I just use a few bars along the bottom of the screen and the rest of it is wide open. Manual sensitivity as high as I can handle. Maybe not the best for somebody just learning the machine of course but you'll evemtually get used to all that noise. :D. The built in presets are also fine too for starting out. :yes:

I am just a bit confused. I have uploaded the Andy S coin "program" but it looks like that is actually the discrimination pattern. I have to some how find the settings and match them with the disc pattern?
Modes, patterns, settings, downloads, I'm getting a headache!

haha, there's just modes and patterns to download, the patterns are disc screens, the modes are screens as well as settings (from my understanding so far). I use my own settings, I just wanted to download them for the disc patterns as they are trickier for me as a new user. Now that you have the Andy S coin pattern, just add your own sens preferences, and threshold settings, etc. Those are more personal preference and site specific anyway. I've been hitting the net a lot, reading reports, and watching videos. It gets easy once you do it once or twice. I find it really easy to use the computer to install the patterns, easier then making my own. I hated making them on the Explorer's as well.

haha, there's just modes and patterns to download, the patterns are disc screens, the modes are screens as well as settings (from my understanding so far). I use my own settings, I just wanted to download them for the disc patterns as they are trickier for me as a new user. Now that you have the Andy S coin pattern, just add your own sens preferences, and threshold settings, etc. Those are more personal preference and site specific anyway. I've been hitting the net a lot, reading reports, and watching videos. It gets easy once you do it once or twice. I find it really easy to use the computer to install the patterns, easier then making my own. I hated making them on the Explorer's as well.

Thanks man, that helps a lot. How do I save my settings for a certain pattern or do I need to reset them each time? Little confused on the "deep" and "Fast" I would think you would always want it on deep and recovery on fast but it is not set up that way with the Minelab coin program.

Thanks man, that helps a lot. How do I save my settings for a certain pattern or do I need to reset them each time? Little confused on the "deep" and "Fast" I would think you would always want it on deep and recovery on fast but it is not set up that way with the Minelab coin program.

This is is where the Andy S book really helps. All those settings affect target response, and they affect each too.

the fast setting can help in high trash spots, but it can also make a deep coin sound junky because it's cutting it off too fast.

Deep helps to amplify those deep coins but it also amplifies iron falses into sounding more like good targets.

In the end, it all comes down to learning your machine. Both setting can help or hurt you, but you have to learn the way it reacts.

This is is where the Andy S book really helps. All those settings affect target response, and they affect each too.

the fast setting can help in high trash spots, but it can also make a deep coin sound junky because it's cutting it off too fast.

Deep helps to amplify those deep coins but it also amplifies iron falses into sounding more like good targets.

In the end, it all comes down to learning your machine. Both setting can help or hurt you, but you have to learn the way it reacts.

Thanks Jason. You offer some good advice. I guess like everyone I get caught up in this world of instant gratification and want to be able to hit that good stuff right off the bat.
I know 2 years ago I was starting out with a new AT Pro and I was scared to death of it. I actually left it sit at home in the box and used for the first month and used my Ace 350 because I was intimidated by it. Now after 2 seasons I can run this thing like a pro pulling out silver dimes at 10" with only a hint of a signal and knowing what is what before I dig it.
I do have to say that I really like this E trac and with only 10 hours on it so far I have managed to find 2 large cents (1835 & 1851) 4 Indian head pennies and over 2 dozen Wheaties. This is in areas that have been pounded for years.
I guess that is the problem, I am doing this well as a novice user that I know I am going to kill it when I learn this machine!
Thanks again

You can put it in the stock coin mode and do extremely well. I recommend all new users to do just that until they feel they have a solid grasp of the tones, responses, etc. The other settings and opening that pattern WAY up will help you get more goodies, but it means your brain is doing the discriminating and you have to train yourself to that point. High trash areas will drive you batty if you try to go too advanced, too soon.

You can put it in the stock coin mode and do extremely well. I recommend all new users to do just that until they feel they have a solid grasp of the tones, responses, etc. The other settings and opening that pattern WAY up will help you get more goodies, but it means your brain is doing the discriminating and you have to train yourself to that point. High trash areas will drive you batty if you try to go too advanced, too soon.

Jason, Have you tried the parks program on the etrac forum at Findmall? It is the first and only program I have used. I know I am missing nickels and gold BUT I don't mind right now because I am hitting silver, wheats and indians with no problem and little trash. I don't bother with the vid numbers, I only listen to tones.

Yep it saves it, also if you look at the 2 bottom sections of the X-change program there is a a universal settings and preferences area, you can put your usual sens, threshold settings, etc. in here and use it to upload them to each disc pattern or mode. This way each program can be uploaded with your preferred settings. That's what I've been doing anyway, I think it's correct. :D As for fast and deep, what Jason said. Sounds like you have some good settings already with 2 large cents! :D

Back
Top Bottom