My Explorer SE goes crazy in mineralized soil.

Black Bear

I've been trying to use my Minelab Explorer SE to search a small creek bed that runs through my property for gold. It's as you might imagine, it's filled with hot & cold rocks and highly mineralized soil. I was hoping that the FBS technology would give me an edge since these streams here in Virginia are also littered with iron and conductive trash. My plan was to focus more on the medium to larger nuggets, eliminating most of the trash either visually or with a little iron discrimination (standard nails program or iron mask on 30). The theory is if I can walk a mile of creek bed instead of 300 feet in a day's hunting, there should be an easily detectable medium sized nugget somewhere along the path.

The only problem is my Explorer SE just can't seem to handle the mineralized soil and especially the hot rocks. It just goes crazy beeping and jumping around. My White's V3i on the other hand has no problem with the same area of the stream. Any suggestions before I put the Minelab to rest?

Seeing as the V3i works well there and it being better suited to nugget hunting I am not sure why I would worry with the explorer.

Thank's for the advice!

I agree, using the V3i is a no brainer. Unfortunately I bought the Explorer SE about six months before I was gifted with the V3i. If it were the other way around, I'd only have one new machine, the White's. Still, since I have the Minelab, I'm trying to see if I've missed something in understanding how to use it or if there still might be some advantage in using it. Minelab claims that the FBS technology is better in hot soil than other detectors, so I thought I'd give it a try in the creek bed. Obviously that claim is less than accurate.

Use a PI machine like the Whites TDI in that situation of high hot soil and hot rocks. TheTDI has GB that you can adjust out those problems. Good luck in your nugget hunting !!

Back
Top Bottom