Newb Coil Question

brucebotti

I'm still lurking & researching my first detector. I have a question concerning changing coils. Do you guys (gals), change your coils often? What I mean is, will you change from say a 10" coil to a 4" sniper coil during a search? Or will you hunt with the larger coil and then go back later with the smaller coil?
Thanks,
Bruce

I fore one take both size coils when I Md----One reason being if your on private property you never know how many hunts your going to have on that property- You never know how trashy a place is until you hunt it the 1st time and one might not get a chance to go back.--Several time's I went back to the truck and changed coils----Or carried my backup detector in the truck with a different size coil---Been working a old sports complex for the last 3 weeks and depends on where I'm at on the complex 8 1/2 acre's on which coil I use.

I frequently have more than one coil, and more than one machine with me. Sometimes the sight dictates the coil size, and sometimes conditions dictate the machine I use.

Bottom line.....it's hard to be too prepared.

Its personal choice , depends on where and how you hunt. Avoid the urge to change coils often during a hunt , its usually a waste of time and you wont remember where you hunted with what coil. Its good to have other coil options , especially the specialized ones like the sniper coil so you can set up the detector according to the specific site , but generally you want to try to hunt an entire site with one specific coil before changing and going back over all the same ground with another. There are so many variables , that you will learn , involved in coil choice and every site is different. Some sites you may want to change the coil for one better suited to them , some you may not need to change the coil at all , some you may have to hunt many times before switching the coil. Some people use more than one coil , some people never use more than one. You just figure out what works best for you after getting the experience.

Its personal choice , depends on where and how you hunt. Avoid the urge to change coils often during a hunt , its usually a waste of time and you wont remember where you hunted with what coil. Its good to have other coil options , especially the specialized ones like the sniper coil so you can set up the detector according to the specific site , but generally you want to try to hunt an entire site with one specific coil before changing and going back over all the same ground with another. There are so many variables , that you will learn , involved in coil choice and every site is different. Some sites you may want to change the coil for one better suited to them , some you may not need to change the coil at all , some you may have to hunt many times before switching the coil. Some people use more than one coil , some people never use more than one. You just figure out what works best for you after getting the experience.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't seem like you would want to change out the coils several times in the same day / hunt.
Bruce

I find it much easier to just buy a detector for each coil so I do not have to change them LOL!
But seriously the at Pro is a little bit of a pain to change the coils so I try to be set up with the coil I plan on using the most when I head out. I do still bring other coils in my bag just in case.

I find it much easier to just buy a detector for each coil so I do not have to change them LOL!
But seriously the at Pro is a little bit of a pain to change the coils so I try to be set up with the coil I plan on using the most when I head out. I do still bring other coils in my bag just in case.

You're not being very helpful. I can't even decide on one detector, let alone one for each coil....:laughing:
Bruce

I carry extra coils and two detectors to most sites. If a larger coil is not doing good sorting the trash, I will change coils rather than wast time, hoping that it will get better.

LOWER end

A good machine & coil to start with is the Euro Tek Pro with the 11 dd coil 299.00, this is the only coil you will need, however when you jump to high end , than you can get other coils, no since getting more coils on a low end machine because you will be upgrading , Earl

It is always good to have options:yes: Gotta love the Xterra series; change the coil, change the frequency, hunt everything!!!!:D

The E-Trac with X1 pin-pointer with different coils on extra lower shafts takes about one minute to change over because the coil cord stays on the outside of the shafts and plugs right in ! Great set/up and quick and easy !!!

Since you're asking questions about coils I'd like to throw something out there for you to consider. When I started I had no idea there were so many different options as far as coils, and needless to say the difference between a concentric coil and a double d coil, how they pinpoint, the pattern they project and all that never crossed my mind. My first machine had a concentric coil,, my second a double d, I found I could pinpoint a target much quicker and with more accuracy with the double d (others may have differing opinions, that's just mine :laughing: )

So my suggestion for you is this, while you research machines, also look at coil choices available with whatever machine you decide on or what's available after you make your decision. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Buy a Compadre and dont worry about it. This is coming from a guy who has 2 Compadres and modded both with a coil plug. However after much changing about I still like the stock coils 5.75 and 7" on both of them.
When it comes to coils its all about where you are hunting. If I am hunting a sports field 5.57" coil is a pain. If I am hunting a picnic area a 12" coil is almost useless. If you dont have a good coil for the location then change locations. YOu can usually go back when you get the right coil. My favorite coil for general use is a 5 x 10 elliptical dd coil. I have one on my gold bug pro and it rocks. If I am hunting a old house site where the house was demoed or it burned down I will run my 5 dd. If I had a smaller coil I would run that. I have not yet seen a detector that can really see through Iron or other trash lying over a good target. In this case its better to try to see in between.
Start with the stock coil and learn it. You will quickly decide what you like and get other coils if necessary for that purpose.

I have learned how to use, and get the best responses from the stock coils on both of my machines. The E-Trac is very good at picking out the target even if it is laying right next to a trash target. I used to change coils all the time, but after reading a lot of very good posts by people with a lot more experience than I have, stating it is easier to just learn your machine and what it's telling you and use the stock coil. That being said, if I was going to hunt a very large area such as a farm field, I might purchase a large coil so I could cover a bigger area faster. But right now the coils that came on my "E" and the ATP work just fine for me. Am I telling you not to change coils, NO. I'm just giving you another option to look at before spending more money on something that may not help you.

I dont know what your budget is, that being said since you're somewhat local youre welcome to come hunt with me for a few hours and try my machines out. Bounty hunter iv my first machine, and my newly aquired omega that will be here on Monday! The bh IV can behad for about 70$ at hobbylobby with the 40% coupon, the omega 4~600 depending also have the 4" coil for the iv. Just want to let you explore a couple possibilities without wasting alot of money just fuel and a couple hours worth of time

I dont know what your budget is, that being said since you're somewhat local youre welcome to come hunt with me for a few hours and try my machines out. Bounty hunter iv my first machine, and my newly aquired omega that will be here on Monday! The bh IV can behad for about 70$ at hobbylobby with the 40% coupon, the omega 4~600 depending also have the 4" coil for the iv. Just want to let you explore a couple possibilities without wasting alot of money just fuel and a couple hours worth of time

9Veater,
Thanks for invite. I may take you up on that after the Holidays!
Thanks again,
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom