Frustrated Not Finding Gold with AT Pro

joecatch

I am frustrated with my AT Pro not finding gold. I have never found gold with it searching parks and playgrounds. I have been detecting for 3 years and have found over $700 in coins and many silver rings and some silver coins. But no gold.

Yesterday I found an 18" 18KT gold chain on the surface. I swung the AT Pro over it and it read 40 but since I was in COIN mode, it didn't go off. I then burried it and it read 37 - 39 and it did chime.

Next I took off my wedding ring and put it on the ground and it read 50. I burried it and it read 47-49.

I have been digging the mid to upper 40's lately but I have only found foil. My friend dug a large old (copper?) coin at 45.

So bottom line I need to start using zero mode now. But finding gold in parks and playgrounds can come in between 35 and 80? I need some real numbers from real finds to help encourage me to keep looking.

Thanks.

You have dig it all to find gold. It also has to be there to find. I think someone once calculated it was about 1000 pulltabs per piece of gold digging. Good luck! (better ratios is the shallows of a swimming hole)

Pick a range that most gold will fall into such as 45-60 and dig all of those and see what happens. You will want to dig good signals above 60 anyway because I found some IH pennys in the lower 60's.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I need to start counting pull tabs and foil. :lol:

After all I keep a log of all my digs. I can tell you how many hours I have been out, how many dimes, quarters, etc I have dig and the current value of the silver coins I have found.

I've been at this three years and too have never found gold on dry land. I've been using the AT Pro for a year now and still have not found gold on dry land using Pro Zero mode with no discrimination. I've dug well over 1000 pull tabs....like 10x that. I think I've just not gotten lucky on that front. However, I did start finding gold once I got in the water with my ATP. My goal this last summer was to find my first gold. I built a long handled beach scoop and planned to get wet. I didn't find a ton, but I did find more than one gold ring, so it is out there. All I can offer is either keep digging or look to the water since you've got a machine capable for it. Good luck and may a gold ring be in your near future!

I havent found any gold with my AT pro either , just mountains of pulltabs and foil. The reason ???? we just havent put the coil over gold yet. Sometimes its the location ....there is just so many pulltabs and foil or whatever that we spend all of our available time digging them. Some locations are better for gold than others. And there is no guarantee that there is even any gold there. At some of my sites Ive started just digging a percentage of the pulltabs , like every other one or every third or fourth , since the ground is so saturated with them....this allows me to still have a chance at gold but Im not digging 50 tabs per hour and I dont get frustrated. I have to accept the fact that I may be missing some gold , but its not a "sure thing" anyway even if I did dig it all. Its these sites that are killing me , they are decent areas for potential gold but just way too much trash. On the otherhand , I would rather have 8 to 10 dollars in clad than 150 pulltabs :lol: There are better and less trashy sites for hunting gold and when I come to them I dig them all....but still havent got my coil over gold yet. Keep trying , the gold is out there and eventually it will show up.

All of my gold has come from dirt, tot lots,and sports fields along with tons of foil and pull tabs. If you want to get gold, you have to dig everything from 40 up....I run pro mode, full sens, custom with nothing notched out and iron audio on. Get a big trash bag and good digger. My first gold ring was a 14K mens band 3 inch's deep that rang up as foil on the Ace 250. My deepest was a big thick 14K band that was 8 inch's deep at an abandoned football field. It rang up as a pull tab on the At Pro. PS that's why it's called treasure hunting not treasure collecting. GL HH Tom.

Been at it myself for six years. Hundreds of silvers and rings but no gold. Like others say, it has to be there to find it. Personally, I'm not missing out and it doesn't bother me to not dig foil and pull tabs all day.

From what you've said your issue is not due to a lack of effort...

Of the 67 pieces of gold my ATP hollered at, 5 were on dry ground, of those 5 1 was dry beach, the other 4 were tot lots... This is not the case of a certain coil or just one machine either. I have found gold with 3 different ATPs and both coils too..

There is a lot of good advice above, I like Pastor Bob's suggestion about narrowing your scope some. I would even take it further 50-60, or even just shoot for nickels... Unless your in the water..

Another suggestion, is maybe hunt by sound more than VDI.. Gold hits really hard, even at 40, it still hits and sounds like a nickel.. To my ears, foil does not have the same punch as a gold ring, but tabs sound awesome...

Be warned...

I never expected to find gold when I bought mine, but once I started it really made silver and clad seem a little hum drum...

I would set it up in Pro Zero, no disc, no iron audio, nothing notched out, sensitivity on full blast.. The mid tones will sound like mid tone and the iron will have that low grind...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

In an attempt to maybe, hopefully, end your frustration a few ideas for hunting for gold in the dirt....

Feb 15th of next year will mark the 5th year from the day I entered this hobby. In that time I have managed to find 31 gold targets in the dirt.
2 chains, one large religious medallion, the rest rings including 5 large class rings.
I consider myself blessed, but over time I have also put much thought and effort into finding gold and that has had a definite bearing on that number.

I found them with 4 different detectors from low end on up, I came to realize it is not the tool you use that will give you the best shot at finding this elusive metal but more about understanding your detector well, having the knowledge about how gold acts and presents itself in the wild and most importantly site selection and how to read them and what you do when you find a good one.
Luck also plays a part, don't ever discount that in this hobby, but if you do come across gold in an odd or wide open area you must have the knowledge to suspect and recognize it and the mind set to dig it.
I suspect many hunters have come across golden targets but they are all still laying in the ground because they were never suspected or recognized as a possible gold target and were never dug.

It started out slow in the gold biz for me, in the first few years I was lucky enough to find a small handful and that was due mostly to luck, but since this is the target I love to dig the most I studied where I found them and the put some ideas and theories together over time.
As I put these theories into practice the gold finds increased in volume and consistency...when I am on my game hunting mostly public parks as I tend to do I now seem to average about 1 gold target every 2 months.
In 2013 I decided that was the year I would set a goal and really try to find this metal more than ever before and put most of my effort and knowledge into that task and targeted more high percentage sites than usual to find it.
I was rewarded with 12 gold targets, an average of 1 per month, and it might be 13 because I still need to test a suspicious old earring I also found.

This is what I know and how I do this.

Gold is the ninja of all metals...it is usually disguised as trash of all kinds.
I have only had 1 or 2 gold targets that showed up as a dead on nickel signal...all others have been in trash areas in numbers and areas 99.9% of the time for me including many others in the nickel area but at numbers that usually turns out to be trash.
In the case of small pieces of micro jewelry like studs or very thin chains it could be no higher than iron, the rest usually come come in at all other ranges from foil on up into the lower zinc area as in the case of the larger class ring types.
Not zinc areas where Lincoln cents dwell but lower in areas that is usually trash like can slaw.

What kind of gold, purity and alloys, will make a difference along with size.
Someone I knew dug a very tiny gold ring, under normal circumstances something of this size in 10k or 14k would have come in no higher than a foil signal.
In this case the ring was very old and marked .999...as close to pure 24k as you can get.
This one was a solid dime signal because of that.

I have dug larger white gold rings than others made of yellow gold of comparative or even smaller sizes and they came in lower.
My larger size yellow gold rings came in as nickel or tabs mostly, the even larger than those white gold pieces came in as lower foil because of the alloys.

All my gold targets were fairly shallow...5" or less in depth.
Because of this most were actually pretty solid targets with very little jumping around even though they presented themselves as definite trash in numbers and tones.
Deeper gold targets can and may act very differently no matter what tool or coil you use to find it.
A couple targets were masked very well by different kinds of trash in close proximity and started out as very iffy signals but I stopped to spend some time to investigate these signals a little more closely.
I maneuvered my coils around the area, and this includes larger coils and not just my snipers, until I was able to get even a hint of a more solid and consistent signal even if that was fleeting and not 100%.
If I did I dug them and even though lots of times it turned out to be trash between other trash, a few times I was surprised with gold instead.
This is why you must learn your detector, any detector you swing, as well as possible and how it works and acts...also a major factor if you want to be successful in the gold game.

I do not dig every signal I come across to find gold or any of the other coin or silver targets I aim for.
Digging 100% of the signals you come across will give you a much better chance of finding great targets in any given area, this is a numbers game and that is a sure way to increase your successful numbers for sure, but I just don't have the time and/or patience for doing it that way.
In the last few years I have settled into digging mostly just the solid signals I come across, sometimes a few of the iffy ones if they sound really good and the site conditions call for it, but mostly just the more solid ones because that is how most gold targets seemed to act for me in my experience so far.
By learning my detectors well I have eliminated taking the time to dig about 80-85% of the trash signals I come across and have slowly gained enough confidence in my skills ability so the "what ifs" no longer bother me if I leave something in the ground.
I still may miss something good doing it this way, you never know 100% what you are swinging over until you dig it, but my numbers of good targets dug percentage wise are more than good enough for me and I am very happy spending my time digging the more possible good targets than wasting my time digging probable trash.
This hobby is all about the numbers for me...numbers and percentages have ruled every part of my life and affect how I act and what I do for as long as I can remember.
This is me, others may think and hunt differently and that is fine...there is no wrong way to do this hobby when you do it any way that makes you happy.

Site selection.

A few of my gold targets were just out in parks in wide open areas and I was just lucky to get my coil over them especially since I was using small sniper coils a few times in very huge and wide open areas.
I definitely believe that would be credited totally to that luck thing coming into play.

Many more were found in sites I have discovered were more high percentage areas when it comes to the possibility of hidden precious metals.
This can be different for every hunter depending on where they live and what goes on at different sites regarding the population and use.
Many hunt sports fields and are very successful at it.
Not just the fields but the sidelines where spectators tend to gather.
A friend found a 14k necklace with an 18k ring attached on the sideline of a kids soccer field.
Others have found and posted about some great gold finds at sites like these, also.
They have never been fantastic for me, but I have found silver rings and one of my class rings on the sidelines of soccer and football fields in the past.

Areas around tennis courts could be good, the problem I find at these sites is those stupid tops off of tennis ball cans infesting these places.
All usually a nice high tone signal, some brands could be right up into definite coin numbers and I hate the ones where I find those kinds.
I have no idea why people would just pull these off and throw them on the ground but they do in very high numbers.
Not my most favorite place to hunt because of this but there still could be jewelry around these things and I have found a few silver rings at a few courts.

As far as quality precious metal jewelry I have determined that if I want the best chance to find it I zero in on 3 types when I can and it has proved to be a wise choice...for me.

#3 are areas near picnic pavilions.
They are usually extremely trashy, but in public parks this is one area where people tend to spend time.
The places where the most people hang out is also the place that has the most trash...but also could hold the most lost jewelry.
Several silver rings and a few gold ones were plucked from the trash in this type of area when I hunted them...including another one of my class rings.

#2 is parking lot dividers, the kind that are filled with pebbles, chips or especially grass dividing up large parking lots.
This is thinking outside the box, it was total luck that I discovered how much some of these things could hold, but after that I targeted these whenever I come across them.
Any public place can hold a lot of targets because people pulling out their keys walking over these things tend to cause them to pull other things out of those pockets, and for some reason they lose all kinds of jewelry stepping over these, also.
Areas near any parking spots at public sites can be lumped into these too.
I have found the best sites like these tend to be at high schools and colleges, lots of the students will sit or hang out on these things before and after class, but I have found a lot of great targets and coins in parks and other sites with parking lots divided by these things.

A huge amount of coins, all kinds of junk jewelry, tools, pocket knives, lighters and a slew of other cool targets were found when I hunted these things because most of the time these are virgin sites.
Also a couple of very nice size silver necklaces, about a dozen silver rings or more and 3 gold rings were found in these things by myself so far.
These also tend to be very trashy but all high percentage jewelry sites usually are.

#1 for me are the perimeters of basketball courts.
The older and the trashier the better.
I guess you can lump volleyball courts in with these because the way people behave around these is similar, but for me I have never found great jewelry at one of these...yet.
That could change.

The reason there can be so much jewelry around these things is because of what the players do at these sites.
They make a pile of their coats, shirts and what have you, and then sometimes they TAKE OFF THEIR JEWELRY AND PUT THEM IN THESE PILES!
Trust me, they do.
Sometimes these players tend to forget that jewelry is in those piles so when they pick up their belongings the jewelry drops out right there or somewhere on the paths that lead back to the nearest parking lots.
More than 1/3rd of my gold target total has been found around these things, more silver rings than I can remember and some very nice and heavy silver necklaces too, among other jewelry like small rings and pendants in both silver and gold left behind by girlfriends of these players.

Not only do numbers and percentages rule my life but I have always been a student of human behavior...in this hobby that can be a big asset.

When I first hunt these court sites I usually cherry pick all the solid signals I can find...both coins and trash.
If I find some good targets I will revisit these things because once through will never be enough because of masking and the shear amount of trash you can find at these things.
All of them old and new can be trashed out, but you haven't lived until you hunt a 50 or 70 year old court and discover the unbelievable level of trash you might find.
If I find a good one I usually over time do come back over and over, hit these sites from more than one angle and eventually dig all signals I come across because masking is such a problem at these things...more of a problem than many suspect.
That masking problem can be true for other trashy sites too, or even a lonely good signal hidden by something else in wide open areas.
It can happen, don't ever think it can't.
The universe is not all that charitable to us that do this hobby...if it was easy to find all the great targets out there all of us would posses much more than we already have.
If there ever was a site I decide to dig ALL signals this would be one if I suspect it is a good one.
A ton of work, you have to wrap your head around doing this to be successful and that ain't easy,but the rewards can be great.
2 times I did go back and dig every blasted signal I came across at 2 different courts I suspected could be great.
One was not super old but a friend found a silver ring in a small grassy area between 2 courts and I found a gold ring on one hunt, on the next hunt I went back, used the sniper coil dug everything I came across and found 2 more gold rings.
The second one was a very old court where I had already found a big silver ring and many coins but also where every hole had at least 2-3 or more targets in it...mostly trash, but again my persistence rewarded me with 2 gold rings on one hunt because I put in the work.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=125006

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155174

One thing about extreme trash sites like these courts, picnic pavilions and others...
Sometimes other hunters attempt to hunt them but the daunting amount of trash to pick through and/or dig makes them think differently.
For this reason I consider them almost virgin sites and many on this forum can attest that these can be very difficult, frustrating and labor intensive to hunt...but most every one that found precious metal around them will also say the effort was ultimately well worth it.
"Fortune Favors the Bold".

If you took the time to read through this novel and consider trying a few of these ideas I hope they might work as well for you as they have for me over the last few years.

Anything I can do to help the next hunter, any hunter, find that next great thing it is my honor and privilege to attempt to do that.

HH

Below is all the gold I have found and the signals and areas I had to dig to find them.

Attachments

• all gold to 10 10 14.jpg
    all gold to 10 10 14.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,345
I would set it up in Pro Zero, no disc, no iron audio, nothing notched out, sensitivity on full blast.. The mid tones will sound like mid tone and the iron will have that low grind...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Exactly. You want the three tone levels, low for Iron, Mid for gold, nickels, and pull tabs, and high for coins. Dig all the mid tones and you will find gold if you can get your coil over it. Location Location Location!!!

I run an E-Trac and a Sovereign, and sometimes still my ACE250. On the Sovereign especially, Gold just SOUNDS DIFFERENTLY. By sounding differently, I mean some tones are clear and crisp while others are scratchy or broken. With that Sovereign, all you have is sound, now on the E-Trac I have yet to find but one piece of gold and that was a chain that was a very recent drop just under the sand at the beach. I actually brushed the sand away from it with the coil at the same time I heard it but I can't for the life of me remember the sound it made and doubt that it would be realistic to try to do so anyway.

I can't counsel you on using the AT Pro, but I would get different targets, including some Gold, and see how they "SOUND" when you pass the coil over them, and IGNORE, or better yet, cover the display when you do this. Hopefully there will be a difference in the sound.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

One other thing....

I guy I hunt with was sounding just like your first post for a while.. When will I ever find my first gold???

But he did not know his metals and jewelry at all... I was looking through all his so called junk finds and guess what? He had already scored 2 golds :shock:...

I picked up one ring immediately and saw the marks, said this one here is 14K, he said it looks so junky it can't be.. I said the person that wore it probably looked junky too...:lol:

People buy some really tacky/ugly stuff sometimes, don't judge a book by its cover!!

I also picked out two silver earrings from his trash pile...

<*)))>{

In an attempt to maybe, hopefully, end your frustration a few ideas for hunting for gold in the dirt....

Feb 15th of next year will mark the 5th year from the day I entered this hobby. In that time I have managed to find 31 gold targets.
2 chains, one large religious medallion, the rest rings including 5 large class rings.
I consider myself blessed, but over time I have also put much thought and effort into finding gold and that has had a definite bearing on that number.

I found them with 4 different detectors from low end on up, I came to realize it is not the tool you use that will give you the best shot at finding this elusive metal but more about understanding your detector well, having the knowledge about how gold acts and presents itself in the wild and most importantly site selection and how to read them and what you do when you find a good one.
Luck also plays a part, don't ever discount that in this hobby, but if you do come across gold in an odd or wide open area you must have the knowledge
to suspect and recognize it and the mind set to dig it.
I suspect many hunters have come across golden targets but they are all still laying in the ground because they were never suspected or recognized as a possible gold target and were never dug.

It started out slow in the gold biz for me, in the first few years I was lucky enough to find a small handful and that was due mostly to luck, but since this is the target I love to dig the most I studied where I found them and the put some ideas and theories together over time.
As I put these theories into practice the gold finds increased in volume and consistency...when I am on my game hunting mostly public parks as I tend to do I now seem to average about 1 gold target every 2 months.
In 2013 I decided that was the year I would set a goal and really try to find this metal more than ever before and put most of my effort and knowledge into that task and targeted more high percentage sites than usual to find it.
I was rewarded with 12 gold targets, an average of 1 per month, and it might be 13 because I still need to test a suspicious old earring I also found.

This is what I know and how I do this.

Gold is the ninja of all metals...it is usually disguised as trash of all kinds.
I have only had 1 or 2 gold targets that showed up as a dead on nickel signal...all others have been in trash areas in numbers and areas 99.9% of the time for me including many others in the nickel area but at numbers that usually turns out to be trash.
In the case of small pieces of micro jewelry like studs or very thin chains it could be no higher than iron, the rest usually come come in at all other ranges from foil on up into the lower zinc area as in the case of the larger class ring types.
Not zinc areas where Lincoln cents dwell but lower in areas that is usually trash like can slaw.

What kind of gold, purity and alloys, will make a difference along with size.
Someone I knew dug a very tiny gold ring, under normal circumstances something of this size in 10k or 14k would have come in no higher than a foil signal.
In this case the ring was very old and marked .999...as close to pure 24k as you can get.
This one was a solid dime signal because of that.

I have dug larger white gold rings than others made of yellow gold of comparative or even larger sizes.
My larger size yellow gold rings came in as nickel or tabs mostly, the even larger than those white gold pieces came in as lower foil because of the alloys.

All my gold targets were fairly shallow...5" or less in depth.
Because of this most were actually pretty solid targets with very little jumping around even though they presented themselves as definite trash in numbers and tones.
Deeper gold targets can and may act very differently no matter what tool or coil you use to find it.
A couple targets were masked very well by different kinds of trash in close proximity and started out as very iffy signals but I stopped to spend some time to investigate these signals a little more closely.
I maneuvered my coils around the area, and this includes larger coils and not just my snipers, until I was able to get even a hint of a more solid and consistent signal even if that was fleeting and not 100%.
If I did I dug them and even though lots of times it turned out to be trash between other trash, a few times I was surprised with gold instead.
This is why you must learn your detector, any detector you swing, as well as possible and how it works and acts...also a major factor if you want to be successful in the gold game.

I do not dig every signal I come across to find gold or any of the other coin or silver targets I aim for.
Digging 100% of the signals you come across will give you a much better chance of finding great targets in any given area, this is a numbers game and that is a sure way to increase your successful numbers for sure, but I just don't have the time and/or patience for doing it that way.
In the last few years I have settled into digging mostly just the solid signals I come across, sometimes a few of the iffy ones if they sound really good and the site conditions call for it, but mostly just the more solid ones because that is how most gold targets seemed to act for me in my experience so far.
By learning my detectors well I have eliminated taking the time to dig about 80-85% of the trash signals I come across and have slowly gained enough confidence in my skills ability so the "what ifs" no longer bother me if I leave something in the ground.
I still may miss something good doing it this way, you never know 100% what you are swinging over until you dig it, but my numbers of good targets dug percentage wise are more than good enough for me and I am very happy spending my time digging the more possible good targets than wasting my time digging probable trash.
This hobby is all about the numbers for me...numbers and percentages have ruled every part of my life and affect how I act and what I do for as long as I can remember.
This is me, others may think and hunt differently and that is fine...there is no wrong way to do this hobby when you do it any way that makes you happy.

Site selection.

A few of my gold targets were just out in parks in wide open areas and I was just lucky to get my coil over them especially since I was using small sniper coils a few times in very huge and wide open areas.
I definitely believe that would be credited totally to that luck thing coming into play.

Many more were found in sites I have discovered were more high percentage areas when it comes to the possibility of hidden precious metals.
This can be different for every hunter depending on where they live and what goes on at different sites regarding the population and use.
Many hunt sports fields and are very successful at it.
Not just the fields but the sidelines where spectators tend to gather.
A friend found a 14k necklace with an 18k ring attached on the sideline of a kids soccer field.
Others have found and posted about some great gold finds at sites like these, also.
They have never been fantastic for me, but I have found silver rings and one of my class rings on the sidelines of soccer and football fields in the past.

Areas around tennis courts could be good, the problem I find at these sites is those stupid tops off of tennis ball cans infesting these places.
All usually a nice high tone signal, some brands could be right up into definite coin numbers and I hate the ones where I find those kinds.
I have no idea why people would just pull these off and throw them on the ground but they do in very high numbers.
Not my most favorite place to hunt because of this but there still could be jewelry around these things and I have found a few silver rings at a few courts.

As far as quality precious metal jewelry I have determined that if I want the best chance to find it I zero in on 3 types when I can and it has proved to be a wise choice...for me.

#3 are areas near picnic pavilions.
They are usually extremely trashy, but in public parks this is one area where people tend to spend time.
The places where the most people hang out is also the place that has the most trash...but also could hold the most lost jewelry.
Several silver rings and a few gold ones were plucked from the trash in this type of area when I hunted them...including another one of my class rings.

#2 is parking lot dividers, the kind that are filled with pebbles, chips or especially grass dividing up large parking lots.
This is thinking outside the box, it was total luck that I discovered how much some of these things could hold, but after that I targeted these whenever I come across them.
Any public place can hold a lot of targets because people pulling out their keys walking over these things tend to cause them to pull other things out of those pockets, and for some reason they lose all kinds of jewelry stepping over these, also.
Areas near any parking spots at public sites can be lumped into these too.
I have found the best sites like these tend to be at high schools and colleges, lots of the students will sit or hang out on these things before and after class, but I have found a lot of great targets and coins in parks and other sites with parking lots divided by these things.

A huge amount of coins, all kinds of junk jewelry, tools, pocket knives, lighters and a slew of other cool targets were found when I hunted these things because most of the time these are virgin sites.
Also a couple of very nice size silver necklaces, about a dozen silver rings or more and 3 gold rings were found in these things by myself so far.
These also tend to be very trashy but all high percentage jewelry sites usually are.

#1 for me are the perimeters of basketball courts.
The older and the trashier the better.
I guess you can lump volleyball courts in with these because the way people behave around these is similar, but for me I have never found great jewelry at one of these...yet.
That could change.

The reason there can be so much jewelry around these things is because of what the players do at these sites.
They make a pile of their coats, shirts and what have you, and then sometimes they TAKE OFF THEIR JEWELRY AND PUT THEM IN THESE PILES!
Trust me, they do.
Sometimes these players tend to forget that jewelry is in those piles so when they pick up their belongings the jewelry drops out right there or somewhere on the paths that lead back to the nearest parking lots.
More than 1/3rd of my gold target total has been found around these things, more silver rings than I can remember and some very nice and heavy silver necklaces too, among other jewelry like small rings and pendants in both silver and gold left behind by girlfriends of these players.

Not only do numbers and percentages rule my life but I have always been a student of human behavior...in this hobby that can be a big asset.

When I first hunt these court sites I usually cherry pick all the solid signals I can find...both coins and trash.
If I find some good targets I will revisit these things because once through will never be enough because of masking and the shear amount of trash you can find at these things.
All of them old and new can be trashed out, but you haven't lived until you hunt a 50 or 70 year old court and discover the unbelievable level of trash you might find.
If I find a good one I usually over time do come back over and over, hit these sites from more than one angle and eventually dig all signals I come across because masking is such a problem at these things...more of a problem than many suspect.
That masking problem can be true for other trashy sites too, or even a lonely good signal hidden by something else in wide open areas.
It can happen, don't ever think it can't.
The universe is not all that charitable to us that do this hobby...if it was easy to find all the great targets out there all of us would posses much more than we already have.
If there ever was a site I decide to dig ALL signals this would be one if I suspect it is a good one.
A ton of work, you have to wrap your head around doing this to be successful and that ain't easy,but the rewards can be great.
2 times I did go back and dig every blasted signal I came across at 2 different courts I suspected could be great.
One was not super old but a friend found a silver ring in a small grassy area between 2 courts and I found a gold ring on one hunt, on the next hunt I went back, used the sniper coil dug everything I came across and found 2 more gold rings.
The second one was a very old court where I had already found a big silver ring and many coins but also where every hole had at least 2-3 or more targets in it...mostly trash, but again my persistence rewarded me with 2 gold rings on one hunt because I put in the work.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=125006

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155174

One thing about extreme trash sites like these courts, picnic pavilions and others...
Sometimes other hunters attempt to hunt them but the daunting amount of trash to pick through and/or dig makes them think differently.
For this reason I consider them almost virgin sites and many on this forum can attest that these can be very difficult, frustrating and labor intensive to hunt...but most every one that found precious metal around them will also say the effort was ultimately well worth it.
"Fortune Favors the Bold".

If you took the time to read through this novel and consider trying a few of these ideas I hope they might work as well for you as they have for me over the last few years.

Anything I can do to help the next hunter, any hunter, find that next great thing it is my honor and privilege to attempt to do that.

HH

Below is all the gold I have found and the signals and areas I had to dig to find them.

Holly cow! This is one of the best, most informative post I have ever seen! I only hunt in the dirt and the info here is priceless! You explained everything clearly and logicly. A big thank you! I want to try out some of this info soon as here in NY the weather is getting cold and I don't know how many more good days we have here this year.

I agree about basketball courts. I have found alot of clad and trash around them. I have found a few silver rings on the sidelines of soccer fields. Here my local park guy said that soccer ends next week and then I can hunt the actual fields. I have alot to do here thanks to you. If I find anything good, I'll you know.

And to everyone else who responded, thank you. All your info as been very helpful and I can't wait to get out there, hopefully tomorrow.

JC

If you don't have a pouch full of foil, ketchup packs and tabs then your odds of hitting gold is not too great. You must have the right mind set to hunt for gold. It's not for the squeamish! I have found more gold in the 40 to 43 range. Although the nickel area is a good one for gold. But if your digging all those low conductors you must increase your odds of finding gold. Gold is in the water! (Or around water) Check out the beach forum to see for yourself. I hit all sand looking for gold. Beaches and sand volleyball courts. Then tot lots follow up the rear. I have hit a dry spell myself. My last 14K woman's ring was at the waters edge of a fresh water beach mid last Summer. Keep digging trash and gold will surface.

There are only THREE secrets to finding gold and that is it.

#1. Gold cannot be discriminated out on your machine.

#2 Gold has to have been lost where you are looking for it.

#3 If it was lost where you are looking, you have to get your coil over it.

That is it. very simple.

There are only THREE secrets to finding gold and that is it.

#1. Gold cannot be discriminated out on your machine.

#2 Gold has to have been lost where you are looking for it.

#3 If it was lost where you are looking, you have to get your coil over it.

That is it. very simple.

Hmmmm.....I think gold can be discriminated out , you just wont find any if it is :lol:

Back
Top Bottom