BH Discovery 1100 Depth Issue

LeGaCyGiAnT124

Hello,

I am currently using a BH Discovery 1100. I probably have around 30-40 hours of use with it. I am learning something new each time I go out. Here is my problem. Depth. I only pick up targets LARGER than coins past 3-4 inches. I only pick up coins no deeper than 3 inches. I know this is true, because I have purposely put coins in some of my holes I have dug and covered them back up and re-scanned the area. It isn't consistent in picking them up, or it doesn't pick the coin up at all. My detector says it picks up to 6 inches depth, which it does, just not with coins.

Does anyone have any experience with this detector. I am going to be upgrading in a few months, just want to hear opinions on this. I have to be missing multiple targets. Thanks!

-Brandon

Hello,

I am currently using a BH Discovery 1100. I probably have around 30-40 hours of use with it. I am learning something new each time I go out. Here is my problem. Depth. I only pick up targets LARGER than coins past 3-4 inches. I only pick up coins no deeper than 3 inches. I know this is true, because I have purposely put coins in some of my holes I have dug and covered them back up and re-scanned the area. It isn't consistent in picking them up, or it doesn't pick the coin up at all. My detector says it picks up to 6 inches depth, which it does, just not with coins.

Does anyone have any experience with this detector. I am going to be upgrading in a few months, just want to hear opinions on this. I have to be missing multiple targets. Thanks!

-Brandon

Brandon, lots of factors that influence the depth capability of your machine. First, what are your settings that you typically run (i.e. Mode - all metal, disc., notch; Sensitivity setting; Disc. setting) and I imagine you're using the stock 8" concentric coil? All metal mode will typically maximize your depth capability where you may lose some when using discrimination. 1-4" really is the sweet spot it seems for coinshooting with the BH machines in my opinion.
Two, where geographically do you detect? Highly mineralized soils will impede the depth capability of most machines.
Three, freshly buried coins will not have the same profile of coins or other metal objects that have been buried for some time. There is theoretically a halo effect that surrounds metals that have been in the soil for some time that aids in their detectability. So, a freshly buried dime at 5" may be unreadable, but a dime that has been sitting in the soil for years at the same depth may be detected.
I've found quarters and dimes at about 5-6" here in the Seattle area, but rarely. The diameter of the search field is so small at that depth that you have to hit them just right to get a signal and then it is usually an iffy signal, which goes back to the advice of "Dig every signal".
I'm sure there are other factors that might influence your detectors capability also that I might be forgetting about at this moment, but these are the main points I think.
Happy Hunting.

The settings that I run is either discriminate Iron or discriminate Iron and Mid Range. I discriminate iron all of the time, because it goes off every swipe just about :laughing: I discriminate mid range on certain circumstances so that I can listen to the silver/copper signals. If the silver/copper signal is very consistent when the mid-range is discriminated, chances are is that it is a coin.

This metal detector is very basic. It only has the ability to determine if it's copper/silver, mid-range, or iron. I leave the sensitivity at the default position. I want to say it's 2 notches out of 4.

I am in western Pennsylvania. I mainly hunt parks.

I would just think a Garrett AT Pro would help my finds come much easier.

Although the AT Pro has it's advantages you're still going to have to learn the basics that will help you find those deeper targets. More bells and whistles usually means steeper learning curve. Your BH is a good starter unit, but what you do is up to you. If you don't know the functional difference between a DD coil and a concentric, then you might want to research that prior to buying. Just a suggestion.
The BH is a great coin machine and will serve you well if you learn to use it to it's full potential. However the depth will be limited as will most machines of it's caliber. If you want to max out the depth capabilities of your unit, then you should run the sensitivity up as high as it will go without causing the unit to start chattering. I can run my TrkIV at max here in the PNW, but I don't what the PA soil is like, so you'll have to play with it.

Hello,

I am currently using a BH Discovery 1100. I only pick up targets LARGER than coins past 3-4 inches. I only pick up coins no deeper than 3 inches. My detector says it picks up to 6 inches depth, which it does, just not with coins.

I am going to be upgrading in a few months, just want to hear opinions on this. I have to be missing multiple targets. Thanks!

-Brandon

This detector is very low end as you must know. American labor is expensive, so they can't give you much for the price. Maybe picks up silver dollar 6" deep, but that might mean 4" on 25c & 3" on dimes. It is the fault of the detector being poor, not your abilities. Best wishes, George (MN)

I had the BH 1100 as my first detector, the trick is don't notch anything out, you're missing a TON when you disc out iron or midrange. This detector only classifies the metal into 3 categories so when you disc out 1 or 2 categories you're missing a lot. Believe it or not, my BH 1100 hit silver as a midrange target, not on silver/copper, bench test yours and see what it does. Even rings hit at midrange or iron. With this detector you have to dig every solid repeatable beep it hits on, you'll dig a lot of junk but you also won't miss the good stuff. I too had a depth issue with it, hence why I upgraded. I think the deepest I could hit was 4", I did an air test with a few coins and 3-4" was the max. I still found a lot, but wanted more depth. As with any detector, the bigger the object is, the deeper your detector will detect it, I hit on a smashed beer can at 12" with it!
Hope this helps you a bit!

Edit: I forgot to add with this detector I ran 3/4 sensitivity, it directly relates to how deep this detector will work.
-Ryan

I'd turn up the sens. too at least one notch and run no disc. blocked out it will give you a little more depth, also wet ground will go deeper than dry ground ... I start with 2 different BH's the 202 was the first one and i'd start disc set about like you then when starting finding very little I'd turn down the sens and make more finds ... finally ran it wide open and as much sens as it would take ... kept the BHQD2 as a backup and friend use ...

Back
Top Bottom