Not finding a quarter I planted for a test run?

Broham

I just got a White's Coinmaster and have been playing around with it out in my yard. To get an idea for what legitimate hits would sound like I dug a hole 6" deep, dropped a quarter into it, covered it back up and ran the detector over it.

I was doing sweeping motions over and around the hole that took about 2 seconds for each arc to complete. When I went over the hole that had the quarter in it I would only get a weak blip every 3rd swipe or so, and it would often beep a foot on either side of it.

I am pretty sure there is a lot of junk in my yard - usually when I am working in my garden I will dig up several hunks of metal (nails, bolts, random junk, etc.)

Could the difficulty finding the quarter be related to the amount of metal in my yard? I turned the discrimination feature up to ignore nails and pull tabs in the hopes it would find the quarter more consistently but no dice.

Any suggestions on how to get a more accurate reading? I'd like to make sure I'm using it correctly in my yard before I go out exploring.

Thanks for any help!

If you just dropped it into a hole, it could have landed on edge. That makes it more difficult to locate. It should pick it up with max discrimination. What type of detector are you using?

First dig the quarter back up. Then see if your machine beeps at all around the area. If so, find an area where the machine is silent while swinging. Put the coin on top of the ground and raise your coil about 6" above it while swinging. If it detects it there then bury it where it is and see if you get the same results.

I buried coins and since they were fresh they didn't hit at all, 6 months later they all hit good. they need time in the ground to get the halo effect thing going on

It could be the surrounding metal in the ground masking it out , or it could be that its just a little too deep for that detector to hit on a fresh coin.

Probably problems could be freshly buried and iron nearby.(Iron masking effect on slow recovering detector)
It seems fresh buried coins really are hard to detect!:no:

I did the same with a at pro,burried one6 inches and one 8 inches.couldn't hit either one.about 4 months later hit the 6 inch hard and iffy on the 8 inch coin.

First dig the quarter back up. Then see if your machine beeps at all around the area. If so, find an area where the machine is silent while swinging. Put the coin on top of the ground and raise your coil about 6" above it while swinging. If it detects it there then bury it where it is and see if you get the same results.

2nd this.

I find that buried coins hit better is you make a notch in the sidewall at the bottom of the hole to sleeve-in the coin. Loose dirt on top of the coin makes for a weak detection. You could soak the ground with water and I bet you'd get a signal on your buried coins right not.

Find an area clear of metal, rebury the coin while making sure that it's laying flat. In my experience I found that White's tend to like a faster sweep speed, so a slow sweep might actually be hurting you, try a faster swing and see how that works. Also run low disc, and set sens as high as possible.

I can think of two reasons the coin is not being detected:

1. It's too deep for your detector
2. The detector is not setup properly (to include ground-balanced)

If you leave the coin in the ground a few months, the dirt will compress, making the out-of-range coin fall back within detectability

If the soil is wet the ground may be more conductive and you possibly may get the coin. Likewise, you may lose depth if iron becomes more conductive when wet or mineral salts are activated.

If the ground contains iron minerals or small chips of rusted iron flakes, the coin can be partially or totally masked. It doesn't take much to make a coin seem invisible to the detector.

The so-called halo effect is primarily related to iron oxides leaching into the soil, making the target stronger. Not so much with non-ferrous targets.

If the detector is receiving electromagnetic interference it can adversely affect the induction-balance circuit, and depth, and you may not even know it.

Back
Top Bottom