How do I stop my ATP from hitting on hot rocks?

shedigz

Elite Member
It seems like the park I was hunting was just full of hot rocks. My detector kept giving me a lot of good signals, but nothing in the hole.
Some holes I had over 10 inches deep but nothing.
I noticed the rocks actually made my pinpointer sound off.
What can I do to avoid digs for nothing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I have the same problem at an older park in my area. The old roads were filled with cinders and "Hot rocks" All seemed to read in the low to mid 70's on my ID. Have not really figure how to deal with them but will be watching this thread to hopefully find out what can be done.

I always find "coal" that rings 39 on my ATP. I don't know what it is but it's black and usually 10-12 inches deep, it sounds like deep coin almost.

Try to listen for some odd buzz or click or anything that makes them different from coins or other objects in that VDI range. Not much else you can do other than use a smaller coil and that probably wont stop it from happening. Was using my MXT Pro on a sledding hill friday and had lots of "hot rock" poping up on my screen. Didnt know it would tell me that. May have to dig a few when it tells me that to see if it's right or not. Got all summer for that tho.

Raise your iron discrimination and that will help with some of it , if it dont get rid of them it should atleast cause the sound to change enough so that you can tell what you are hearing and the extra clicks and pops lets you know its either iron or "hot rocks". One of the Garrett videos talks about hot rocks. There are so many variables you wont be able to get rid of all of them but should be able to get to where you can recognize when to dig on one and when not to. Its the exception to the "dig everything" practice , the way to deal with hot rocks is to identify most of them so you dont have to dig those. Listen in between those tones for the higher tones to sneak out from behind them and dig those.

Same deal today beach hunting.

I was going crazy until I figured out what was going on.
I GB and changed modes etc. it's only my third time out and I went to a different beach this time.
I did notice a lot of the time a depth did not register and stay like it did with a coin or "real" metal items.
The ATP did find a hairpin at about 8 inches down, that made me crazy because I couldn't see it without my glasses on.. LOL

I was going crazy until I figured out what was going on.
I GB and changed modes etc. it's only my third time out and I went to a different beach this time.
I did notice a lot of the time a depth did not register and stay like it did with a coin or "real" metal items.
The ATP did find a hairpin at about 8 inches down, that made me crazy because I couldn't see it without my glasses on.. LOL

If your talking salt water beach the pin point depth feature often does not work there, even if it is a good target.

Many, but not all "hot rocks" do indeed act, and sound different, it is something that is very dificult to explain in words, but for those digging empty holes chasing after them, you will catch on. Those other ones, like the coal, clinkers etc, are very positive, and no way to avoid those.

Everywhere I go there are more or less hot rocks...how I envy the people who don't know what they are because they don't have any.

I always find "coal" that rings 39 on my ATP. I don't know what it is but it's black and usually 10-12 inches deep, it sounds like deep coin almost.

My house was a old farm house and I found this area in my yard that has a lot of hits and a lot of coal, some pieces the size of baseballs

Back
Top Bottom