F2 + First Hunt = Addicted Noob

Mr. Miner

I went out for 2 hrs yesterday and I loved it (could have hunted for 8 hrs). This morning, wrists are and back are tender, haha. I got 14 pennies, 1 dime, a .22 bullet shell, and a huge iron bolt-looking thing. I was wondering what settings people are using to find things with their f2? What are some numbers that I should pay attention to for different items? many of the pennies that I dug looked like dimes etc. Will things that are deeper in the ground ID as something they are not? What about gold and silver? What should I notch out?

I really only notch out Iron anymore...unless you are only interested in silver coins...then notch out everything dime and below. Here is a chart that has been helpful for me:

Tab/Foil 15-27 :Foil/Nic 18-27(pos gld)
Nickel 32-34
Zinc 48-55 :Tab 44-46
Penny 59-72
Dimes 71-73(S)74
QTRs 77-83
Half 86-90 +/- (+)
Silver $ 91-95 +/- (+)

Congrats on the first finds! I run sensitivity at max unless I get interference which gives false random beeps, then I turn it down until it stabilizes. I would recommend not notching anything out at first - dig it all and learn what the machine is telling you. If you have LOTS of iron junk, then notch that out only. Jewelry will show up all over the range depending on its size, shape and composition. You won't know what anything is for sure unless you dig it. For instance, my wife's gold and diamond ring comes up a strong nickel. I found a chain braclet which was jumping all over and I almost didn't dig it. Check the forums for info on the F2. I remember a thread where several experienced F2 MDers (Patton, digger27, etc..) discuss numbers they see frequently and what they mean to them. Happy Hunting!!

Welcome to the forum! I use the f2 primarily and found my first silvers last night with it. I don't pay to much attention to the VDI numbers unless it sounds good and solid, just to give me an idea what it is.

I always notch out Iron and majority of the the time both Iron and Foil. If i'm limited on time I'll notch out Tab too and thats the F2 coin setup. I run max sensi too, unless i'm getting crazy beepage.

Look up Digger27's thread on the F2. Its like 30 pages of awesomeness including settings, sounds, numbers, coils etc etc. Learn your machine and love it

Ur pennies come up as dimes because they are older and made with copper instead of the newer copper/zinc pennies. Wheaties will also come up as dimes. I found clad dimes and silver dimes also ring up the same. Gold comes in at midtones, can fall anywhere from foil to pull tab depending on size. Silver is more conductive and will ring up higher on the scale.

LOL...anyone confirm or deny this???.......i've only found functional metal pipes and re-bar that high....I stopped digging them after a few times....

....could this by why i have found no silver???? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 quarters is usually 86...3 can be 88.

The only thing I have ever found that was good and in the 90's was this thing that came in at a 92.
It is thick and the size of a silver dollar.

Attachments

• P1020758.jpg
    P1020758.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 222
  • P1020760.jpg
    P1020760.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 220
LOL...anyone confirm or deny this???.......i've only found functional metal pipes and re-bar that high....I stopped digging them after a few times....

....could this by why i have found no silver???? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

These are the "cheat numbers" I made and posted here a few times.

Tab/Foil 15-27 :Foil/Nic 18-27(pos gld)
Nickel 32-34
Zinc 48-55 :Tab 44-46
Penny 59-72
Dimes 71-73(S)74
QTRs 77-83
Half 86-90 +/- (+)
Silver $ 91-95 +/- (+)

The "Silver $ 91-95 +/- (+) " can be silver dollar coins.
And yes Ive tested this air and at 6". Its a good number.
But with numbers this high, be careful, use your GPP and the you can get an approx size of the object along with PPing with your MD to get a size too. If its more then "blip", forget it. Numbers this high are usually BIG junk stuff....

Qtrs come in at 77-83, but usually 82-83. Many, many times at 86 it means theres two or more qtrs together instead of a half dollar (I never found one, just air and 6" tested)

Back
Top Bottom