Random

Lummy

I have a question about detecting. I've read and read on here but my in the field experience has created some questions that I'm not sure the answer of. The best solution would probably be to hunt with an experienced detector but until that happens I would appreciate your feed back. So far I can tell when I really hit a good solid target. No problem's there. My question is that sometimes I'll be going along and hit a good solid tone but then can't seem to repeat it at all or maybe every 10 swings from different directions. Could there be something good there that is just really deep? Do I bother attempting, even when I can't really tell exactly were it is, digging a non repeatable tone? If I dig away a few inches and rescan would I get a better signal? Is it most likely just some irregular shaped piece of trash and not worth the effort? Could a rock be laying on top of what I'm looking for and only a particular angle will get a sound? I've noticed a couple of times now that some marginal signals, a bit jumpy or one sided, will have a good sized root right in the hole I dig. Can roots distort signals? How about rocks? OK, that's probably enough questions for one setting. Thanks in advance for your wisdom and help friendly detectors!

ps I have an F2

I picked up a nice tip from a deep target presentation up at the go minelabbing event at Indiana dunes. Sometimes when a coin or other target is sitting at an odd angle in the ground, you can put your coil on a angle, with one side close to the ground, and the other a couple inches up, and swing holding the angle. I've used it a little and noticed a different tone depending on how the target is positioned. You may also try cranking up your sensitivity if it is a faint signal and the area around it is fairly clean of trash. Sometimes digging a few inches helps the signal, sometimes they will even disappear. A lot of times the bouncy tones are worth digging. I pulled a sterling cross last week that was all over the place. Glad I dug it! If a rock, or root even, is carrying a lot of minerals I guess it could have an affect. Lots of factors involved there. I'm in Bloomington and come up to Greenwood and Anderson a lot, so if you wanna get together and do a hunt some time, hit me up!

If I'm on my property, I tend to dig more iffy signals. When I'm on someone else's property, I tend to skip signals that bounce around on the ID. If it's a shallow target, I might try it, but I figure that it's not worth bad relations going too deep on someone else's lawn. Curt

There is no real way to tell if the item that is down there is a trash item or a good one. Sometimes good items jump all over the place, So there are two ways to work:
1. You dig up everything, it is a PITA but you might find more goodies than you will if you skip the bad signals.
2. You scan them in 2 directions to see if there is a repeatable signal in any. Most of the time pull tabs will sound great in one direction but they will start jumping once you go 90 degrees.

My personal advise is:
Dig up every single signal you get, at least for now that you are getting started, and you need to master your machine. Don't think you know half of your machine yet, every detector has a learning curve and you need to "understand" what he is telling you. This takes time, and digging, once you know your detector well you will know when there is trash or a good targhet.

Targets that are deep and on the edge of detection range will give broken, choppy signals, so will good targets mixed with junk. Find a out of the way place, the overgrown area of a park, the woods, etc...and dig the deep targets, get familiar with what the md is telling you, and practice your target recovery methods. More hours on the machine will lead to better finds...Good luck and HH!

Thanks guys. I hunted a the ball field again yesterday for about 3 hours. I think you all are right, the more you do it the better you get. For instance I had one signal that was really solid but a little higher than a normal quarter. Dug it up and it was two quarters stuck together! Pretty cool. I still had a couple of times where I dug to China and never found anything. If the ground wasn't so hard I might have opened it up even more. And yeah, oldsjunkie, if you want to hit the broad ripple area hit me up. I don't work on Tuesdays and Thursday's and can generally get out for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom