Let Me Axe A Question.

Chipk

Elite Member
Supposedly Lizzie Bordenearned her place in history after inquiring to her aunt if she could have permission to attend a friend’s party. It seems the aunt replied, “ GO AXE YOUR PARENTS!”

And Lizzie did.

Well I could help Ms Borden with her task since I have found 5 axe heads it the last month. In fact I found 3 in the last 24 hours. Yesterday I was hunting a new permission where a very old restaurant had recently been razed and I found an axe head that was very deeply buried.

I returned today and found my first horse shoe and 2 more axe heads. one was the largest I have ever seen. It’s 11 inches long and weighs about 8 pounds with a very broad blade.

I have not been able to find any similar axes online and am wondering what purpose this axe served, it’s name and approximate age. If anybody knows anything about it please share.

Time to crank up the electrolysis tank. Lizzie may come visit.

Attachments

• 1BBB26D1-952F-4CC2-A2D4-1B29C097397D.jpg
    1BBB26D1-952F-4CC2-A2D4-1B29C097397D.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 886B27AA-97A5-451A-A2DF-7C40C93BD63F.jpg
    886B27AA-97A5-451A-A2DF-7C40C93BD63F.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 223
Looks like three of those eight pounds are RUST !
That may be what is called a broad axe. I have a book on antique and colonial tools. If your’s is pictured and identified, I’ll post a picture.
Do a Google image search for broadaxe. Several look like yours.

Jim

You may of found one of those mountain giants noggin removers. Never heard of anyone finding as many axe heads in a month or 24 hours. I’d be taking A..X..E.. corresponding numbers in the Pick 3 Lotto! Your definitely on a roll! Congratulations

You might have to send Paul Bunnion an eMail picture of that. He might have lost it a long time ago..

It might have been a broad ax. Was used for cutting down trees back in the day and splitting logs.

KEN :p

Here it is...

ChipK

In my first reply, I mentioned that I could post a picture from a book that I own about colonial and antique tools. I'll do one better! In the link below, I'm posting a Google preview (pages 1-27 of the whole book). The section on axes is covered in this preview.
It was written and illustrated by Eric Sloane in 1964. My copy was a 1974 printing. The title is "A Museum of Early American TOOLS". I found that the preview is available online when I did a Google Book search for that title. I have four books by Eric Sloane, all illustrated by him and I have enjoyed them immensely.

After following the link below, scroll down to the section on Axes (page 10) which continues into coverage of Broadaxes.

There may be many other colonial & Early American tools in this book that will help forum members to ID tools they've recovered.

Enjoy !
Jim

Here's the link; https://books.google.com/books?id=N...&q="a museum of early american tools"&f=false

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom