Noob here. First post!

NM_Brooktrout

Greetings!

I want to take the plunge and get a detector. I prowl about northern NM and southern Colorado, and there are tons of abandoned mining sites and camps that I think would be fun to search for old tools and perhaps coins.

I've got my eye on a used detector now. I looked over the "best detectors for noobs" thread and found that it didn't really narrow the field for me.

The used detector that I am considering is a White's Rainbow Spectrum XLT, which reviews well. No accessories with it, other than a soft case for $300 which seems just a tad high.

I see that I can pick up F22 for much less new, or possibly a Garrett Ace. I simply have no idea. My budget threshold is $500 for all my gear.

I have been reading through how to check out used detectors. I lean towards new, as I like the idea of having a warranty. However that XLT seems to be reviewing very well.

Any thoughts?

Hey Welcome! Sorry I do not know anything about the XLT, but somebody should be along shortly that does...I do think that high Alpine Brook Trout are about the prettiest fish in the Continental US! We used to ride our Mtn Bikes up into the Black Hills and fish for Brookies in the beaver ponds with ultralights and flyrods...What a beautiful and mesmerizing fish!

The F22, the Tek Patriot, and the Atpro are some great rigs...not only for a beginner, but something you can grow into and will deliver a positive ROI for years....

Even for long time hunters, its important to watch a lot of youtube vids concerning the purchase of any new rig..listen to the sounds and see which one sounds 'comfortable' to you, makes the most sense to YOU!..All our brains process certain signals differently..we all have certain amounts of audio capabilities and degradation, this is an Audio Primary Sport above all. The Financials are a secondary consideration..

$500 should get you into something pretty nice!..you have most of the other tools laying around the house..you dont really need a pinpointer to start out...they are a relatively new invention and guys did just fine without them...

Also, Every thing you buy holds a certain resale value, so its not like you are out the whole $500...any well respected and pedigreed rig holds value...

Last edited:
welcome aboard! I have the F22 and LOVE IT! its a little more on the fancy side for beginner detectors, I guess fancy isnt the best word but it does have a few extra features most beginner machines dont have. I started on the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 and so far thats the only one to find a gold ring! LOL! My fiance still uses the tracker and I use the fisher and continues to kick my butt out there but the F22 does have some awesome features and I dig up WAY less trash then her....

for 500 you can get the F22 AND a GOOD QUALITY pin pointer, which belive me, will come in handy even with the top of the line most expensive machine on the market. I use the PRO Pointer II I can honestly say a pin pointer has been the BEST purchase to date.

Since you live in high mineralization gold areas you need ground balance with your detector.skip the cheaper ones.

Do you have any gold in the area? Personally, I would go with something newer. That said, White's are great detectors and have a large following. You might send "texan" a message about the new ACE 400 he has listed in the For Sale Detectors, here on the forum. He has 2 detectors listed, but might let the ACE 400 go separately. The ACE 400 is hard to beat, for the money. Check out this bundle (all you need, except a digger), it fits within your budget nicely: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0L514...abd1-94c672aa3f45&ie=UTF8&qid=1550529297&sr=1
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Welcome from Winnsboro South Carolina !!!!

Looks like you already got some good suggestions, +1 on watching youtube videos on various models to help you decide for sure.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome from Kansas

Think it might a good idea to investigate a machine that would find gold nuggets as well. Teknetics T2 work well in the areas you’d be hunting. Can be purchased very reasonably new and used. I agree with Mud to watch UTUBE videos to get a”feel” for whatever your concidering. Lots of help here on the forum for any direction you choose. Good luck!

:fmdfwelcome:... from the cold & snowy state of Minnesota! :lotsasnow::snowtruck::snowballfight: Thanks for joining, we're glad to have you with us. :yes:

Do you have any gold in the area? Personally, I would go with something newer. That said, White's are great detectors and have a large following. You might send "texan" a message about the new ACE 400 he has listed in the For Sale Detectors, here on the forum. He has 2 detectors listed, but might let the ACE 400 go separately. The ACE 400 is hard to beat, for the money. Check out this bundle (all you need, except a digger), it fits within your budget nicely: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0L514...abd1-94c672aa3f45&ie=UTF8&qid=1550529297&sr=1
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
:goodpost: This is what I would recommend as well. :yes: That would be a great setup and looks to be well within your budget. :yes:

For a digging tool I would recommend these hand shovels: 12 Inch Serrated Digger or this SUNJOE Digging Tool. I have them both and they both work very well, and they're made out of carbon steel. Made very heavy duty. Also, they are around $15 each. :digginahole:

The XLT is a good machine with lots of features. $300 is a high price nowadays; without any extras. Snag it for $250 or less, and you should be happy with the deal and the machine. Make sure it has the rechargeable battery pack and charger. The other choices mentioned sound good too.

Back
Top Bottom