Homestead hunting

Fulltilt

So I found three homesteads on the 1947 imagery for my area, loaded the GPS coordinates in my phone and away I went. I found a later model wheatie at the first stop and 2 more at the second stop. It’s the third stop that has me confused. On the aerial, it’s obviously a house with several outbuildings at the end of a road that no longer exists. It’s located in what is now a cow pasture so it should be easy to find. I looked and looked and never heard even a hint of iron with the AT pro. There’s no sign of significant dirtwork in the area. Usually I get anywhere near a homesite and the iron grunt goes nuts and it’s all I hear. I can’t figure it out.

Last edited:
Are there any terrain features that give you a sure ID of the site? Maybe a glitch in the system put you in the wrong spot.

There’s a prodiminant hill within a couple hundred yards. I searched on it and didn’t hear any iron there either.

Maybe the road got extended at some point and you are past the area. Can you compare the road length to make sure you are at the right point?:?:

Ray

Maybe the road got extended at some point and you are past the area. Can you compare the road length to make sure you are at the right point?:?:

Ray

Ray - thanks good idea, but I was using a coordinate off the historical aerial and going to it using my phone. This usually gets me to within about 30’ of the house.

Possible that site got bulldozed so nothing left to find.

Thanks - I think you may be on to something here.

Back
Top Bottom