Let's have an honest debate!

firewxman

Forum Supporter
Have you ever taken a penny from the "take a penny" jar and spent it when you know full well that you have one in your pocket?

Am I the only one who does this? Is it wrong? What say you?

Traded out of take a penney tray

I have taken one out of my pocket and switched it for a shiny 1968S that was sitting in the tray. My wife rolled her eyes at me yet again.

I have taken one out of my pocket and switched it for a shiny 1968S that was sitting in the tray. My wife rolled her eyes at me yet again.

That's funny! My wife does the eye roll every time I check the coinstar. If indeed there is loot in the change return she walks away like she does not know me. Then when I catch up to her she asks what I found, hmmm.

What a Great topic firewxman! :laughing: You know, everyday I eyeball that 'take a penny tray' at the StopNRob, and I get to thinking...I bet a guy could run a fleet of trays, and really make some pay! From my understanding, those pennys are legally considered 'Communal Property', first come first served kind of thing?...

The girls behind the counter are not allowed to take them, I do know that, any errant change spit out by the register that is abandoned is supposed to be tossed into that 'take a penny' tray!..Not only Pennys, but theres N's, D's and Q's even! Makes a guy get all wondering?...Here I got up early, ran 20 miles of totters, kicking chips and grabbing clad, and pulled less than what is sitting here in this damned tray? Free for the taking? It aint right! :laughing:

Grandpap always said, "Son, you take care of your pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves"..so it is confusing to me? Where does all that unclaimed and abandoned change go at the end of a shift? Imagine the total amount across the Country? Who really owns it? I dont know! Does anybody!?

I will say this, regarding your question...NO! I will not take a damned penny out of that free tray for any reason! Even if my tab comes to $6.01 and all I got is Six, I'll go out to the car and get a penny to balance the score...The thing is, once a bear gets comfortable eating free easy pickins out of the campground dumpster, or robbing tourists for marshmallows, he gets lazy and his time is short on this Planet..Where does it all end? Today its just a penny, but tomorrow its 6c then 12? Before you know it, you are knocking off a Brinks truck!:laughing:.

I'll take a wild honest found totlot or dirt penny anyday over a 'take a penny' tray fed...Dont get me wrong, we all know I aint no bastion of morality with any aspersions for setting an example! I'll rob a guy, steal a boat or car, shoot a Yellowstone Park Elk, hunt Gettysburg, jump a middleschool playground fence for a few bucks clad, illegally snare a black bear and sell his gall bladder to the Chinese on the black market,, I'm even willing to make up a post about imaginary finds of silver dollars and gold coins in an Amsterdam tin box!

But for some reason, I cant take a penny out of that free tray for nothing! Its just too damn easy....like when some cashier rings you up wrong and you did the math in your head? Yeah..its sort of a triumph to set them straight and even up..just to show mental mathematical prowess if nothing else....I'll never short shrift a clerk on their error either... I will kill an Elk though, steal a boat, have an oversized treble hook in my tackle box on a designated trout stream,..rob a guy, like I said,... some things in Life are more precious than free pennies, sheeit! They are laying around all over the place!....FWIW, I actually do have a few self imposed morality constraints...I wont cheat on my Taxes or kill a songbird with a pellet gun just for giggles...thats about it...pretty proud of myself! :laughing:.:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
I usually take the dime or nickel that is in there. :lol: I mean, after all, it is the penny tray right? ;)

Lately, I have been spying the penny tray, and notice seeing nickels, dimes and a single quarter.
Must've had somebody that didn't like pocket change, that threw them in?

I almost always use my debt card,
this makes me think... that I should start taking a penny each time
I use the card, or give them the penny, nickel,
or dime or quarter, to save on my purchase.:p

This is like the topic last year, about drive up windows at fast food joints.
Just last week, at the Macho-Taco, I leaned out my pick-up trucks' door,
picking up 2 dimes off the concrete, one was a 1965, from the FY mint :lol:

I'm not rich, but not to proud to not bend over to pick up free money....:D

Last edited:
Most cashiers around here do it for you with out even asking . I appreciate that , So If I have pennies coming back , i'll say put it in the tray . I have to admit generosity isn't always the reason , I'm not a fan of a lot of small change in my pocket . I never throw them away , I'll pick them up off the ground in parking lots and put them in those charity jars . One other thing I'll dig a hole to China to find one in the woods :lol: HH

I do remember a time when a Wheatie was in the penny jar, if I remember correctly I did switch it out with one of mine. I do have a few morals. :laughing:

Speaking of wives, I switch out her clean pennies in her purse for crusty but cleaned zincolns from my metal detecting finds. She has no shame, she passes over those cruddy zincs to the cashier like their gold. Thanks for responding.

Lately, I have been spying the penny tray, and notice seeing nickels, dimes and a single quarter.
Must've had somebody that didn't like pocket change, that threw them in?

I almost always use my debt card,
this makes me think... that I should start taking a penny each time
I use the card, or give them the penny, nickel,
or dime or quarter, to save on my purchase.:p

This is like the topic last year, about drive up windows at fast food joints.
Just last week, at the Macho-Taco, I leaned out my pick-up trucks' door,
picking up 2 dimes off the concrete, one was a 1965, from the FY mint :lol:

I'm not rich, but not to proud to not bend over to pick up free money....:D

Im telling you it adds up. In a year you may have saved a few dollars! Haha! I enjoy the gratification of "sticking it to the man." Thanks for the reply!

Most cashiers around here do it for you with out even asking . I appreciate that , So If I have pennies coming back , i'll say put it in the tray . I have to admit generosity isn't always the reason , I'm not a fan of a lot of small change in my pocket . I never throw them away , I'll pick them up off the ground in parking lots and put them in those charity jars . One other thing I'll dig a hole to China to find one in the woods :lol: HH

I've thought about getting a bunch and dropping them in the red kettles at Christmas. This got me thinking, if I saved all my "need a penny" for an entire year, I could make a rather sizable donation of a few bucks and get the tax claim. :laughing:

What a Great topic firewxman! :laughing:

I will say this, regarding your question...NO! I will not take a damned penny out of that free tray for any reason! Even if my tab comes to $6.01 and all I got is Six, I'll go out to the car and get a penny to balance the score...The thing is, once a bear gets comfortable eating free easy pickins out of the campground dumpster, or robbing tourists for marshmallows, he gets lazy and his time is short on this Planet..Where does it all end? Today its just a penny, but tomorrow its 6c then 12? Before you know it, you are knocking off a Brinks truck!:laughing:.

I'll take a wild honest found totlot or dirt penny anyday over a 'take a penny' tray fed...Dont get me wrong, we all know I aint no bastion of morality with any aspersions for setting an example! I'll rob a guy, steal a boat or car, shoot a Yellowstone Park Elk, hunt Gettysburg, jump a middleschool playground fence for a few bucks clad, illegally snare a black bear and sell his gall bladder to the Chinese on the black market,, I'm even willing to make up a post about imaginary finds of silver dollars and gold coins in an Amsterdam tin box!

But for some reason, I cant take a penny out of that free tray for nothing! Its just too damn easy....like when some cashier rings you up wrong and you did the math in your head? Yeah..its sort of a triumph to set them straight and even up..just to show mental mathematical prowess if nothing else....I'll never short shrift a clerk on their error either... I will kill an Elk though, steal a boat, have an oversized treble hook in my tackle box on a designated trout stream,..rob a guy, like I said,... some things in Life are more precious than free pennies, sheeit! They are laying around all over the place!....FWIW, I actually do have a few self imposed morality constraints...I wont cheat on my Taxes or kill a songbird with a pellet gun just for giggles...thats about it...pretty proud of myself! :laughing:.:laughing:
Mud

I was hoping you would respond mud. To be honest, I wasn't expecting you to take the highroad. I figured you would be all over those free pennies like flies on stink. I even expected you to have a free penny jar shrine in a dark corner of the house for which you give daily "offerings" to. I'm a bit disappointed but also proud of you Mud. That being said, you got me thinking, I'm at the point of no shame where I'll take that $0.12 from the jar. I need help, maybe a penny jar intervention or something! :D.

Mud

This entire paragraph made my day! Thanks for the response Mud! :laughing:

Half the time the clerk will pull a coin or two out of that tray before I have a chance to dig in my pocket.
Many times I have gotten a few cents in change and dumped them all in there so I believe I have banked enough in my time to have built up nice sum.
To that end any tray in reach I will dive into them like Mike Nelson dove into the water from his boat in the old Sea Hunt tv show.
There might be wheaties or other treasures in there so nothing ventured nothing gained.

Half the time the clerk will pull a coin or two out of that tray before I have a chance to dig in my pocket.
Many times I have gotten a few cents in change and dumped them all in there so I believe I have banked enough in my time to have built up nice sum.
To that end any tray in reach I will dive into them like Mike Nelson dove into the water from his boat in the old Sea Hunt tv show.
There might be wheaties or other treasures in there so nothing ventured nothing gained.

Very true! At times I've found foreign coins in the jar, you never know what you may find.

Back
Top Bottom