Head phones, which is your favorite?

Digbee

Hi Everyone,
I'm a real newbie to detecting....(please don't everyone say" Not another one!") Anyway, I've always been interested in this and I'm not getting any younger, so after doing some research, I just purchased a Fisher ID Excel, and now would like some input as to headphones, which ones everyone likes....or dislikes. I don't want a real heavy pair as they get tiring to wear, I also don't want to spend $100's on them.

(I used to have a David and Clark set for flying airplanes, years ago, and although they were popular, they always seemed heavy and uncomfortable.)

Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated, Thanks! :?:

Hi Joanne, and welcome to the forum. This is one subject you will get a lot of different responses to. I have the headphones that came with my detector, and don't really like them as they pinch my ears after a while. I also work in a very noisey plant, and the earmuffs I wear cover the whole ear, and I can wear these all day with no problem. I will be getting a pair that cover the whole ear, not just around the very rim of the ear. Audio quality is proportional to the amount of money you want to spend. JMHO, it would be to your advantage to get a pair that have dual controls in each phone to really hear those fain whispers. Koss, Grey Wolf are some of the brands that seem to crop up the most on the most popular lists. Hope this helps.

hoser said:
.......>> I will be getting a pair that cover the whole ear, not just around the very rim of the ear. Audio quality is proportional to the amount of money you want to spend. .....<<.

On the other hand....... a chap in our club who uses an Explorer and makes a lot of good finds, doesn't like having his ears covered and uses a pair of earpieces like you have with a walkman. You can still pick up the sounds from your machine, and also hear if anyone calls out to you. These are preferable in the summer more than winter.

The most important thing is with headphones, don't have the volume too loud. Long periods of high tones, can damage the ears.

The ultimates have the muff ear pieces so a bit quieter. i don't think there is any more performance per say just better hearing. But you pay just a bit more for the extra muffling of the sound. The Killer B's are right in there with the Grey Ghost and very comfortable. These have great sound for a bit less money.Sometimes it comes down to what makes you look like less of a geek I suppose :grin:
Seriously , you can't go wrong with any of them. Figure your price range and get the ones that suit you in that range.

Thanks!

Thank-you to all that replied to my message and for the " warm welcome",

Tony, do the Hornet Killer B headphones pinch your ears. I use the standard headphones that came with my detector and they are very uncomfortable. My ears hurt just to touch them after about an hour of detecting.

Not unless you have big ones :grin:
I think they fit pretty well. They have the larger muffs so they shouldn't be a problem.

well i bought the grey ghost ultimates and love them. i have a big pumpkin head and they fit great and dont pinch my ears. i chose these over the grey ghost originals only because of some minor upgrades. im very sure the originals are just as good. they are very comfortable, extreamly clear and block out almost all outside noise. the originals are under $100 while the ultimates are just over that. by the way, thanks tony for my goodies.

I like and use Grey Ghost's but the click along volume control does not suit some detectors. Full volume a little loud and one click down is a little to low.
British designs like Mole Superphones stay on the head better and are a little lighter than U.S. phones as they have a two thin stainless steel wires about two inches apart to form the headband (bridged by a flexible plastic material). Many have no external controls the switch from mono to stereo being achieved by unplugging and reversing the stretch cord. The curled cords can be bought with 'snap-back' memory. Stretch full length to lay the detector on the ground. Pick the machine up and it springs back to the original size. These type phones also enlarge to the biggest head size or can be reduced down to fit a child.
Some phones are specifically for the likes of the XP range of detectors and Minelabs etc that rely on tone. Iron tone lowered even further, non ferrous giving a higher than normal pitch.
U.S. Ratphones are supposed to do a similar thing but reports seem to vary from best ever to I prefer Ghosts, Timberwolfs etc so its a try before you buy.
There's a range selling well here for hot weather use that still blocks out surrounding noise but ventilates the ear. Seems microbes in the ear double in number every half hour normal phones are worn leading to ear infections.
Maz phones that Alan mentions, though just down the road from me, are not my favourities for either performance, comfort or reliability. Another brand I would avoid is Pro-Phones. Feel like a clamp on the head and don't work well. Yet the original white version (new ones are all black) worked really well on the Fisher twin-frequency detectors.
I would stick with U.S. phones as you can try them on and see how they suit your machine then if you fancy a military spec. curled cord when the original phones fails, as they all do in time, order a new cord from the U.K. (or U.S. if you can find them in your part of the world).

Back
Top Bottom