Digging in hard dirt

busytire01

Just want to know how some of you deal with digging in the hard dirt. What tricks and/or tools do you use?

I have a geology hammer with a pcik on one end, tends to loosen things up enough to either move enough dirt or get the probe in a bit farther to check and see if i'm even close or not. If the dirt is really, really hard....... C4 works wonders!....;)

HH as always,

Bri-

Unless the whole site is cement hard, or I've got a specific reason to cover every inch , I usually move to a patch where the ground is softer..just as likely to find something in porous soil and a lot less wear and tear on the tools...HH Roadrunner_426

In New Mexico, where I'm at, rain is rare for most of the year so hard caliche ground is the norm. I bought one of these and it's great. With a little practice you can dig a small 2x2 opening and still be standing up to to rescan if needed.

As of late I've needed to dig some deep holes (and this works great) thanks to my new WOT - - :lol:

HH
Cliff - - -

Forgot the PIC

Sorry

Attachments

• Lesche Little Eagle.jpg
    Lesche Little Eagle.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 263
Several years ago, I got an old hatchet/hammer at a yard sale for a few bucks. I use it for the extra hard ground whenever I'm away from town. (I don't want to carry a hatchet around town and scare people) This thing cuts right through the toughest ground with ease. Wear eye protection if you decide on this.

Back
Top Bottom