• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

just curious.. who takes pepper spray out in field?

huntman

My Daughter gave me a small can of pepper spray to take with me detecting.. At first I thought just something else in the way, but started thinking maybe not a bad idea? after seeing what people are doing these days just to get a few bucks maybe it is a good Idea. Never know if you might also walk upon a rabbied animal too who is persistant on attacking. I got a dangerous looking digger but the spray would be safer I'd think. your thoughts?

Always a good idea to carry at least something for protection while staying lawful of course. I generally take one of these. image.jpg

Either a stainless RTG scoop, or a Sampson 31...

Good boots too of course...

<*)))>{

I am with Brady on this one. I have a CC permit as well.

If the pepper spray makes them mad, what do you do then?????

I carry a lesche and sometimes a sampson or scoop. I really don't want to get into hand to hand combat with a person or rabid animal.

Short story that opened my eyes after the fact:

I was creek hunting last week in a off the beaten path area. As I was making my way up the stream I saw a burnt out fire and figured it was possibly some kids boozing over the weekend. I get another 20 or so yards up the river and see a tent hiding in the brush. Probably a homeless or junkie. They have nothing to lose and I am not in a good situation. Luckily there was no one there. That won't happen again. Just a heads up to know your surroundings. I let my guard down and could've been in trouble.

I also bought a pair of rattlers to keep one ear open.

Stay safe my friends!!

Pepper spray might not be too useful, on a windy day. It's usually directional, but can blow back, doesn't take much to be unpleasant. Rabid animal might not care about being sprayed. Wounded animals are more dangerous as well. They know they aren't going to be too successful running away, leaves only to fight for their lives...

I also forgot to mention that I'm faster, faster than any of my hunting partners, they are the ones that need the pepper spray...

For bears, it helps to wear bells and whistles, and carry pepper spray...

It also helps to recognize bear poo...

Black bear poo has a lot of berries and seeds in it and doesn't smell too much.

Grizzly bear poo has bells and whistles in it and smells like peppers...

:shock:

<*)))>{

I also have a CCW and carry a handgun when in the wilderness. Pepper spray is more of a confidence builder than anything else. They are not very effective if there is a wind and really don't have all that much of an effect unless you actually hit the threat in the eyes. Then you may have time to run!

well..

I'd love to carry a iron.. but no way will my better half allow it. I love her but I think She is still living in the mind-set of the 60's/70's when you could leave your front door unlocked and no guns in the house. Some good points on maybe the spray might aggravate an animal more or blow back at me and really give me a disadvantage. I have a little confidence in my Fiskars as it looks and works somewhat like a knife and is reconstructed not to break off at handle. But I also know that playing 'Rambo' like in the movies can backfire real quick- but the Movies make it look so graceful. Yes- Homeless come in all makes/shapes/ways and some very well could be desparate to bring you down and take whatever you got. Some are humble too.. But best to just keep your distance when in a isolated environment. Thanks on input- Gene

I carry a small pocket sized pepper spray in my finds pouch always.........oh and either my .380 or .40 depending on what i'm wearing or location

I have a ccw permit and carry pepper spray and my 9mm sig sauer.Unfortunately there are some weird people out there.

Who takes pepper spray into the field? I don't know but several weeks ago I dug one. I was just lucky I didn't puncher it with my digger.
PG1.JPG

I just keep the Lesche handy for standard detecting. Now in the boonies that's a different story... had a baby boar run not too far from me out in the bush here in NC last spring. Luckily didn't see mama. I bring my CZ75 with hollow points if I woods hunt. Be safe everyone.

Greg

Wife keep wasp spay be side the bed when I'm gone, shots 15 ft and blind a person......I keep the .357

I also forgot to mention that I'm faster, faster than any of my hunting partners, they are the ones that need the pepper spray...

For bears, it helps to wear bells and whistles, and carry pepper spray...

It also helps to recognize bear poo...

Black bear poo has a lot of berries and seeds in it and doesn't smell too much.

Grizzly bear poo has bells and whistles in it and smells like peppers...

:shock:
<*)))>{
Good one Ice :laughing:

If I had to worry about grizzlies I would be packing major artillery. But since I don't my Lesche seems to be plenty to me. Hunt at night a lot and have encountered the odd person or two. Never have been bothered. Guess I just look like the goofy old guy my wife tells me I am. lol

I have a ccw permit and carry pepper spray and my 9mm sig sauer.Unfortunately there are some weird people out there.

Isn't Florida home of the face eating homeless people? I would definitely carry in that state, what am I saying I always carry my SA XD45 with me. Nowadays you just never know what you are going to come up on.

Back
Top Bottom