Strange Copper, ID help needed. Many more finds to follow...*Photo update*

Coinsniffa

Hey everyone,

Had another awesome hunt with Jeff H today. I'm cleaning a pile of goodies which I will post tomorrow but for now I'm quite interested in the origin of this copper. Any help towards identification is appreciated, thanks for looking and HH.

CS

Attachments

• 2012-11-25 20.41.27.jpg
    2012-11-25 20.41.27.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Can't rule out a uni face token either. It's one of those that either you know, or you don't, and if you don't, there's nowhere to start!

Due to the obvious "T" on the coin, there is a good chance that your coin may be an 18th century copper "tola" coin most likely from India, but it could be from Pakistan or Malaysia or anywhere else in that area of the world that the British East India Company had dealings with.

Could it possibly be a colonial communion token? I know many look nicer than that, but I've seen rather crude ones like yours too. I'm just guessing though! Ihope you can ID it!

Can't rule out a uni face token either. It's one of those that either you know, or you don't, and if you don't, there's nowhere to start!

Congrats very nice but no clue:cool:

Due to the obvious "T" on the coin, there is a good chance that your coin may be an 18th century copper "tola" coin most likely from India, but it could be from Pakistan or Malaysia or anywhere else in that area of the world that the British East India Company had dealings with.

Could it possibly be a colonial communion token? I know many look nicer than that, but I've seen rather crude ones like yours too. I'm just guessing though! Ihope you can ID it!

Thank you all very much for your help but unfortunately I'm still unable to obtain a positive ID. Here's a pic of the back of the coin which after a bit more cleaning reveals some sort of shield(?) shape. Hope it helps, thanks again and HH

Attachments

• 2012-12-02 22.48.39.jpg
    2012-12-02 22.48.39.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 324
It almost looks like some sort of strange copper "cob." Hammered in appearance. The shield is really puzzling. This is going to drive me nuts!

What about the size? Can you put something beside it for a comparison?

It almost looks like some sort of strange copper "cob." Hammered in appearance. The shield is really puzzling. This is going to drive me nuts!

What about the size? Can you put something beside it for a comparison?
Good point, forgot to mention it's the size of a large cent. This one is a challenge!

Ooooohhh.... WHAT do you have there? Dude, you guys have been getting in some museum quality hunts - absolutely frickin' unreal! Taking it to the next level! Can't wait to see more.

Ooooohhh.... WHAT do you have there? Dude, you guys have been getting in some museum quality hunts - absolutely frickin' unreal! Taking it to the next level! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks man, I'm hoping someone can tell me what this is. It rang up like a copper but I don't know if it's a coin or token. :?:

Back
Top Bottom