UPDATE!!! Rapoo Review (H3070 Wireless Headphones)

SWKDigger

Elite Member
I decided to go to wireless headphones and after a lot of research and valuable input from forum members decided that the best solution in my budget was the Rapoo H3070. I have had them for a week now and have detected with them for about 10 hours. I connected them with a 3.5-1/4” adapter and a 6” patch cable so I could attach the transmitter to the bottom of my detector using velcro. This kept the transmitter out of the way and kept me from bumping the transmitter. I am using them with a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 and a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. I have also used them for listening to music on my Droid. This review reflects my review after this time period and I will update if my opinion changes a great deal. I will rate them on a scale of 1-5 with (1) being poor and (5) being excellent.

Specs - Rapoo H3070, 2.4GHz wireless connection provides up to 8 meters working range, Volume control function, Frequency response: 20~20KHz, Working voltage: 3.7V, Current: 50mA, Built-in 350mAh rechargeable battery, Charging time: 2 hours, Working time: 6 hours

Ease of Use (5) - Very easy to use. Charge them up and plug them in. I had no problems getting the connection between the transmitter and headphones.

Durability (4) – I was originally concerned about this category. They just don’t look very sturdy in the pictures online. The headpiece is very thin and looks online to be a little bit flimsy. Upon receipt and inspection of the headphones I was pleasantly surprised with the apparent quality. They seem very durable and the thin headpiece is actually a good quality. I don’t think I will have a problem with them breaking but I seem to be pretty hard on stuff so I will see.

Comfort (4) – This is another area that I was pleasantly surprised. The ear pieces are very light weight and fit very comfortably. I have a pretty big head and they extend plenty to fit me. My wife’s head is considerably smaller than mine and they fit her comfortably also. A lot of the comfort can be attributed to the light weight nature of the head phones. They are not tight on the ear at all but do stay secure.

Sound Quality (4) – I knew going into this that I wasn’t getting a HiFi speaker system but I was a little bit disappointed in this area. My machines have 4 tones and the highest tone isn’t as crisp and bright as it is with my wired headphones. The low tones seem to be more scratchy sounding than with the wired set. I can still easily distinguish between the 4 sounds my machines make so it wasn’t a difficult task to readjust. I am confident that the loss of quality in sound won't cause me to miss targets. The independent volume control on the headset is very important and it does provide enough volume adjustment to fit varying environments. They get plenty loud enough for detecting. Listening to music on them was still enjoyable.

SOUND ISSUE FIXED!!! Rating changed from 3 to 4. HarveyH48 posted a solution to the distorted/scratchy and unclear sound issue. Simply add an inline volume control between the detector and the transmitter. You can see his suggestion in the post below this one. Thanks Harvey.

Battery Life (5) – I got about 5.5 hours of detecting in before I needed to recharge. I only tested this once but I went another round of about 3.5 hours and they still had power. I think that is pretty good. I doubt I will ever be out for much more than 5 hours at a time and it takes about 2 hours to charge them.

Best features – Volume control, comfort and you can charge both pieces at the same time with the provided cable.

Worst features – sound quality isn’t awesome and you can’t just change batteries in the field. They come with a charger that plugs into a USB port on your computer to charge them. I also wish they would have come with some kind of a protective storage bag to keep everything together. I will have to find something.

Conclusion - I am not disappointed with my purchase. I think that $45 is a pretty good value considering my next options were all in excess of $100. I will probably still use my wired headphones at times but I really have grown to like detecting without the wire. Right now I would definitely recommend this to others. If these last a fair amount of time I will probably research to see what new is out there but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another pair.

I hope this review helps some out. I tried to be as objective as possible.

There is usually more to the sounds, than a simple tone. Mine is louder with shallow targets, fainter with more depth. Iffy targets are broken and scratchy sounding, the sure-thing targets give a very sharp, clean, clear tone. I dig most everything, but don't want to dig too many targets close together, so pick the best. I can come back for more on another hunt, another day.

You might be overloading the transmitter, which might be expecting line-level audio. Think most detectors are direct drive. Corded headphones are more forgiving, the transmitter might not have gain control. Might try an inline volume control to reduce the audio a little before the transmitter. Probably not bad headphones, just bad input.

You might be overloading the transmitter......Might try an inline volume control to reduce the audio a little before the transmitter. Probably not bad headphones, just bad input.

You are exactly right and the is why I love this site, always someone with knowledge they are willing to share.

During church this morning I happened to remember that I had a cable with an inline volume control. Came right home, plugged in the transmitter and detector and sure enough, that did the trick. The sound is much better. Before it was simply distorting the sound because of the level of input into the transmitter. I should have known this because I do quite a bit of digital recording and audio editing and get the exact same problem when I have the input levels too high in the microphone or audio input. Thank you very much for your solution. I will update my original post.

i like wireless HP ,they work better then i thought ,i have had them maybe for a year,a problem is if it rains,i can protect the transmitter and the MD computer with a gallon zipper less freezer bag ,but the headphone, need to think about that one

Headsets

I had used the Auvio wireless headset for about a year until my plug broke on the transmitter. I now use the Deus totally wireless MD, and the wireless "backset" (they call them) is great. The behind the head, over the ear, with the small earpads turned back to sit on your ear, are very comfortable to me and they are very light! I wear 2 different Brimmed hats I got from Bass Pro and The Backset type headphones make wearing them possible, my hats not only provide shade but they protect the headset if it Rains. I ordered the Rapoo Wireless from Amazon yesterday, the over the head holder (or whatever you want to call it) seems to be very thin, so I'm hoping my Brimmed hats will fit over it. GL & HH....Pat

I rigged the Rapoo H3070 wireless headphones to my Tesoro vaquero, using a adapter with volume control and they work great.:lol:

Got the inline volume control to use with the Rapoos on my Omega. Still getting too much distortion. :( On the plus side, it's nice to now have a volume control on the O. :grin:

Got the inline volume control to use with the Rapoos on my Omega. Still getting too much distortion. :( On the plus side, it's nice to now have a volume control on the O. :grin:

Line level is 1.0 volts, peak to peak. Might have to play a little with the volume control.

Question about these wireless headphones

I'm confused. If these are wireless, why do the posts mention plugging them in? Thanks.

You still have to plug a transmitter into your detector. Wireless from the transmitter to the headphones. Then have to plug them in to charge them.

Back
Top Bottom