Anyone Drive a Hyundai Car

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I am thinking about getting a new car or almost new. I didn't ever think that I would even ever consider buying a foreign car but I have to get one that gets good gas mileage and has a good warranty. Most of the reviews seem to be pretty good - I haven't drove one yet or even seen one close up in quite a while. One of the one's I have been looking up is the Hyundai Accent. Might be too small and too cheaply made - I won't know till I look at one, maybe tomorrow I will. I look forward to all your opinions and comments. Thanks! Steve.

I don't know about Hyundai, but I have a Toyota Corolla (93) with 150,000+ miles and it runs like a top. So impressed purchased a Toyota Tundra (01) with the Lexus v-8 and love it just as much. Changed my mind about domestic cars and leaned me toward foriegn makes (although alot of the foriegns are being made in america now). Just my thoughts! Rick

I don't know about Hyundai, but I have a Toyota Corolla (93) with 150,000+ miles and it runs like a top. So impressed purchased a Toyota Tundra (01) with the Lexus v-8 and love it just as much. Changed my mind about domestic cars and leaned me toward foriegn makes (although alot of the foriegns are being made in america now). Just my thoughts! Rick
I have heard that some of the foreign vehicles are made in America but I think that they are only assembled here. Steve.

I am thinking about getting a new car or almost new. I didn't ever think that I would even ever consider buying a foreign car but I have to get one that gets good gas mileage and has a good warranty. Most of the reviews seem to be pretty good - I haven't drove one yet or even seen one close up in quite a while. One of the one's I have been looking up is the Hyundai Accent. Might be too small and too cheaply made - I won't know till I look at one, maybe tomorrow I will. I look forward to all your opinions and comments. Thanks! Steve.

I have an Azera. Wish the mileage was better. Great freeway car and good appoinments.

My sister has one of the little Hyundai's (accent, I think). It had over 120,000 on it when she got it. She has been driving it for 4 years now & has put another 50,000+ on it. Only thing she has had to do to it is replace the timing belt & tires. Runs like a top.

And now on a more serious note.

We are on our 2nd Hyundai Sante Fe. We bought a 2005 model new & one year later, we were broadsided by a full sized pickup truck that blew a red light going 50 mph. The impact felt like we were struck by a frieght train going 100 mph. The collision blew us across 4 lanes of traffic, flipped us upside down & slammed us against the opposite curb of the intersection (we were only going 15-20 mph when struck). While we were flying through the air, my wife & I both *knew* that we had already taken our last breath, there was no way we could survive the accident. When the dust cleared, we hung upside down by our seatbelts for 10-20 seconds, asked each other if we were ok, pushed our seatbelt release buttons & WALKED AWAY, with moderate internal bruising. It was pretty obvious that if we had been in our Camry, my wife would surely have died & our 11 y/o daughter may well have been orphaned. We went out the very next day and bought another (2006) Sante Fe.

When we went to the wrecking yard to retrieve our personal belongings, our car was surrounded by about a dozen other wrecked vehicles. ALL of the other cars involved fatalities, & ours was the worst looking one of the bunch.

The pickup that struck us was lowered in the front end, so much of the impact was absorbed by the floor pan of our vehicle, if not, the truck probably would have made it a lot further inside of our vehicle. Our floor pan was pushed in nearly two feet. On a lighter note, as our Sante Fe rested upside down at the crash sight, it was supported fully by the roof rack. The sticker on the roof rack plainly warns: "Maximum load not to excede 75 pounds", LMAO.

Attachments

• mdf100_1119.JPG
    mdf100_1119.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 174
  • mdf100_1178.jpg
    mdf100_1178.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 176
  • mdf100_1215.jpg
    mdf100_1215.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 178
  • mdf100_1136.jpg
    mdf100_1136.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 178
My 2007 Toyota Tundra pick up was 100% assembled in Texas from almost all US parts. My uncles GMC Sierra was assembled in Mexico from Canadian and other parts. All cars sold now must post their assembly and parts compositions on the invoice. I would stick with a Toyota. Like detectors, you get what you pay for.

Paul

Wow! Fastforty, I'm sure happy to hear that you and your wife walked out of that mess relatively unscathed. :shock:

The best thing about Hyundai is the 100,000 mile 10 year warranty, something that Toyota doesn't offer. I've always had Toyota but I'll be trading in a 2006 Rav 4 for the Hyundai Sonata 2008 come September...

But it kinds makes you wonder why they need a warranty that long....I think it's to sell cars that come up short in other areas.

The best advice I can give you is to check out www.edmunds.com. We use it every time we buy a new(or used) car to check out everything. You can get the info on everything about any car out there, and couple that with a carfax report and you're on your way to NOT getting stuck in a bad car deal.

Edmunds should be your buying guide. It just has so many resources on it about everything - saftey ratings, buyer reviews, road tests, and best of all - invoices and true market value rates. You won't get taken for anything at all if you really take the time to do some research there and know your stuff. You might have trouble finding a dealer that will deal with you( they'd rather wait for the next sucker to come along), but once you find one that doesn't mind that you know your stuff, you can work a good deal for yourself, and they still make some money, too. So please, please check it out. ( heh, i should work for them i guess...haha...)

We just bought two new cars( a first for us)....a Ford Sporttrac with 0% for 60 months, and a new Honda Civic sedan for $4500 under MSRP. The Honda was a really good deal considering that there were no incentives and no reason for them to deal too much - they can't keep the 40mpg Civics on the lot. But, we knew our stuff....and found a dealer and salesman that would sell us the car at a fair markup for all the stuff that was on it, etc. etc. ( edmunds will give you what they pay for EVERYTHING - it's AWESOME, I'm telling you! : ) )

We love our Honda. Great crash test ratings, nice options, big inside for a small car. The only negative is it could have a little more zip from 0- 30 mph, but other than that it's a 9 out of 10 stars for us. If you watch for special financing you could get a new one for a little more than the old model which is a little smaller feeling inside and a little less..ummm...well...cool. :)

Good luck - and don't forget! www.edmunds.com!

( really, i don't work for them....but man do i love their website!) :)

Sorry Fishlicker but if you bought a sporttrac by Ford, I don't think you read Edmunds too well. Also Edmunds lists the Hyundai as being very competetive with Honda and Toyota. In September when the Hyundai Genesis comes out Toyota and Honda will take a back seat. Check it out in Edmunds...

Sure I did. Maybe you haven't read it recently. The new 2007 SportTrac got high praise by Edmunds and a high buyer rating as well. They revised and improved it, including the frame itself. It drives really nice - smoother than my '03 F-150 FX4, and turns almost as tight as my 07 Wrangler - with the inside comfort and space of my old '01 Liberty. ( btw - we're done buying cars for a while! LOL )
Sure, it's no Tacoma( which seems to have every award out there! :) ), but then, neither are the other vehicles out there that compete with the Tacoma in the truck line.
The SportTrac was redesigned this year and it's just what I needed - a little bit truck, a little bit SUV and a heckuva deal on the financing. Maybe you were reading about them a year ago? I dunno. I'm happy with mine, and the point is - do your research and find what makes you happy - and get a good deal on it, whatever that is. I'd post the Edmunds review of it - but that isn't really what this thread is about at all...ya know?

As for the Hundayi - I don't think I commented on how it compared to Toyota or Honda. It's easy enough to do that without my input. I was just saying we like our Honda.

If I've taken your post too much to heart, forgive me...I am Southern ya know. ;)

You don't sell Hundeyes, do ya? LOL :)

j/k ya.

Look at consumer reports ratings on Hundai's. Who cares about the warranty if your car always breaks down. Also, resale value is bad to terrible across the board.

I see the points made here, but the reliability is what it is. The Tuscon is too new to know what it will do in a couple of years, as is the case on any new model regardless of manufacturer. The large sedan is the same, great for the first year, then by year 3 it becomes worthless rolling turd.

The other Hyundai models that have been out for a while (Sante Fe etc) start with great reliability figures for the first two years but then plummet to "piece of junk" status quickly. Again, you get what you pay for. The Koreans have not been making cars long enough to know how to do so correctly. They do not care about long term quality. Your better off buying a 1 - 2 year old Japanese car (most are US made) that will be reliable, unless you have alot of spare time and a spare car. Be smart with your money. Do not buy a polished turd.

Good luck!

Paul

But it kinds makes you wonder why they need a warranty that long....I think it's to sell cars that come up short in other areas.

Obviously they are putting their money where their mouth is. They are betting that they won't lose money doing warranty repairs on their cars.

I've had Chevys, Chryslers, Dodge, Honda & a GMC SUV. Not impressed with their reliability.

Gee I hope I didn't start a war here lol. I just got back from the car dealer and I owe more than my car is worth at the present time so I will be keeping my car. Oh well I like it & there is nothing wrong with it. I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt (loaded with all the extra's) and it gets 30 mpg.

Isn't it something though - I bought my car (2005 model) brand new in 2006 at around $18,000 - $19,000 and today it is worth $8,000 on a trade in. Vehicles are sure a bad investment. Steve...

Cars

I hauled cars for thirty years trailer trucking them for the largest car loading co. in america. I delivered mostly fords, but also Thousands of Toyotas and the first Hyundais sold in America. We would set them at the auto shows. Then they were bad, now they make a great car, but not as good as a Toyota. (imho) You may get a better deal and guarantee with the Hyundai, but the Carolla will be worth twice as much 3 years down the road....Good luck with whatever you choose....Gil

Gee I hope I didn't start a war here lol. I just got back from the car dealer and I owe more than my car is worth at the present time so I will be keeping my car. Oh well I like it & there is nothing wrong with it. I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt (loaded with all the extra's) and it gets 30 mpg.

Isn't it something though - I bought my car (2005 model) brand new in 2006 at around $18,000 - $19,000 and today it is worth $8,000 on a trade in. Vehicles are sure a bad investment. Steve...

The two most profitable parts of the dealership are:

The service department.

Car trade ins.

The salesman will play the game with his boss and team up as "good" guy "bad" guy on you. The boss of course, is always the bad guy.

If you negotiate the deal as a package (new car plus trade in), you'll get screwed, while thinking you made a great deal. If you negotiate the price of the car first and then the trade-in you'll do better, but they will try to find ways of offering you a trade-in that is below Kelly Blue Book wholesale. In the end, if you are really good, you might get wholesale price for the trade-in. This is about 50% of what they think they can resell your car for.

That's the way the game is played.:(

Back
Top Bottom