Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
skyblast's Avatar
skyblast skyblast is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 246
Smile (Update: Officially a Georgie) It's not just green...It's NEON green

Any suggestions for getting this sucker clean? The patina is very thick.

Olive oil?
Vinegar?
Baking Soda?

Have a pro do it? I've dug over 100 wheats and am still searching for my first Indian Head. I don't think it is...but it sure would be sweet if it was.
Attached Images
 

__________________
E-Trac, x-1 probe

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Bonesquat's Avatar
Bonesquat Bonesquat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,884
Default

I'd tumble that one gently.

__________________
E-trac/Compadre-SILVER coins(172) 1923 Silv Dollar 1848 O half | Halves: 4 | QRTS: 29 | Dimes: 126 | War N: 10 |||| Other finds | Gold:12 | Wheats: 653 | IHs:11

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM
microhike's Avatar
microhike microhike is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: H-town, Texas
Posts: 711
Default

Try baking soda and water paste with a soft toothbrush, also I use to clean my insignia brass with orange drink mix that came in MRE pouches.

I still clean items with a delicate touch, don't want to damage anything.

Then if that does not work try the tumbler.

__________________
Tesoro Vaquero, Texas History.
"Pacis prosecutus vos"

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 PM
emfederin emfederin is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. Jersey, near Philly
Posts: 1,165
Default

Originally Posted by skyblast View post
The patina is very thick
It sure is, so much so that it looks like it's lost diameter. The vague bust appears to be jefferson. do you have a pic of the reverse?

__________________
Defining the problem is 99% of its solution

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 AM
pale rider's Avatar
pale rider pale rider is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Americus, Ga
Posts: 915
Default

Looks like an indian to me. Image is facing the wrong way to be a wheat penny. As emfederin said, do you have a picture of the reverse?

__________________
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matthew 6:21

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 AM
skyblast's Avatar
skyblast skyblast is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 246
Default

Originally Posted by pale rider View post
Looks like an indian to me. Image is facing the wrong way to be a wheat penny. As emfederin said, do you have a picture of the reverse?
Emfederin here is your obverse


pale rider you are giving me a heart attack. The only problem I see is that my etrac gives a solid 12-43 which for me has always meant standard memorial penny/wheat penny. Hopefuly there is still a chance????
Attached Images
 

__________________
E-Trac, x-1 probe

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM
skyblast's Avatar
skyblast skyblast is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 246
Default

Maybe???? It kind of looks like there's something going on there??? Honestly I'm really nervous to clean it. I big time screwed up what I thougt was a 1910 wheat penny about two weeks ago.
Attached Images
 

__________________
E-Trac, x-1 probe

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 AM
emfederin emfederin is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. Jersey, near Philly
Posts: 1,165
Default

Originally Posted by skyblast View post
Emfederin here is your obverse
"Reverse". Of course, that's assuming your previous pic was "heads" which would make that side the obverse.

Anyway, your 2nd pic revealed nothing further, but thank you for posting it since we all like to see for ourselves.

As for your first pic, I still imagine the upper outline and the neck area of a jefferson nickle. But there's 2 things "wrong" with that:
It's too small to be a nickle (though patina and oxidation can diminish both thickness and diameter).
The patina looks like patina. What I mean is that when nickels corrode, they usually develop a brownish coating that looks more like rust than patina (its NOT rust, but it looks kind of like it).

It looks a hair larger than the comparison penny, but that could be as illusory to me as jefferson's head.

So the evidence leans more toward its being a penny than a nickel, but for the life of me I can't "see" an indian head OR a lincoln head in what detail there is.

So I'm stuck...

__________________
Defining the problem is 99% of its solution

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
skyblast's Avatar
skyblast skyblast is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 246
Default

Originally Posted by emfederin View post
"Reverse". Of course, that's assuming your previous pic was "heads" which would make that side the obverse.

Anyway, your 2nd pic revealed nothing further, but thank you for posting it since we all like to see for ourselves.

As for your first pic, I still imagine the upper outline and the neck area of a jefferson nickle. But there's 2 things "wrong" with that:
It's too small to be a nickle (though patina and oxidation can diminish both thickness and diameter).
The patina looks like patina. What I mean is that when nickels corrode, they usually develop a brownish coating that looks more like rust than patina (its NOT rust, but it looks kind of like it).

It looks a hair larger than the comparison penny, but that could be as illusory to me as jefferson's head.

So the evidence leans more toward its being a penny than a nickel, but for the life of me I can't "see" an indian head OR a lincoln head in what detail there is.

So I'm stuck...
Oops. Yes I meant reverse. Yeah I too am stuck on what to do next????

__________________
E-Trac, x-1 probe

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 AM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 14,212
Default

Soak it in olive oil for a few days and then check it.

__________________
"The road to success is always under construction."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 PM
David in DC David in DC is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC suburbs
Posts: 1,417
Default

I'm calling old Canadian penny (George on the obverse).

I posted this advice about hydrogen peroxide a few weeks ago:

Try microwaving a shot glass of hydrogen peroxide for about 20 seconds and drop your indian head in there. It should start to bubble and fizz a lot. The initial rush of bubbles may even take a lot of the encrusted dirt off. I leave it in until the bubbles subside (usually just a matter of a few minutes) and then work on it gently with a toothpick.

You can reheat the peroxide and repeat as you want. Peroxide will eventually start to pit the coin, so don't overdo it. The indians are pretty robust and I have had good luck with this method. Wheats, not so much.

__________________
CTX 3030

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Jason in Enid's Avatar
Jason in Enid Jason in Enid is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Enid, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,294
Default

I know you won't like to hear this, but your are better off leaving it alone.

Underneath all that gnarly patina is pitted metal. I have seen people clean very nice looking, but green, IH's and wind up with a coin that looked like garbage.
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
LookingHawk's Avatar
LookingHawk LookingHawk is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: berks county,pa. USA
Posts: 190
Default

ok...with how caked that coin is soaking it in some remington gun oil wouldent hurt i have done it befor with old pennys...it is superior to most any metal cleaner and still extreemly gental

__________________
oldestfind:1867 large 2 cent
/various diggers and other gear

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 PM
skyblast's Avatar
skyblast skyblast is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 246
Default

Originally Posted by David in DC View post
I'm calling old Canadian penny (George on the obverse).

I posted this advice about hydrogen peroxide a few weeks ago:

Try microwaving a shot glass of hydrogen peroxide for about 20 seconds and drop your indian head in there. It should start to bubble and fizz a lot. The initial rush of bubbles may even take a lot of the encrusted dirt off. I leave it in until the bubbles subside (usually just a matter of a few minutes) and then work on it gently with a toothpick.

You can reheat the peroxide and repeat as you want. Peroxide will eventually start to pit the coin, so don't overdo it. The indians are pretty robust and I have had good luck with this method. Wheats, not so much.

Thanks for all of your help you guys. I will keep you posted as to how things go. I'm starting to get the same feeling that it is a georgie...
Attached Images
 

__________________
E-Trac, x-1 probe

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 PM
microhike's Avatar
microhike microhike is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: H-town, Texas
Posts: 711
Default

I wonder if it was under a black light if the features would show up.

__________________
Tesoro Vaquero, Texas History.
"Pacis prosecutus vos"

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM
skyblast's Avatar
skyblast skyblast is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 246
Default

WELL IT'S OFFICIAL...iT'S A GEORGIE Oh well. I put it in the tumbler for about an hour and was easily able to identify it.

Thanks all of your help everyone. Just another reason to love detecting. Mysteries sure are fun.

Who knows maybe it's a Type 1, 1937, first year?

__________________
E-Trac, x-1 probe

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 09-04-2011, 04:41 PM
microhike's Avatar
microhike microhike is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: H-town, Texas
Posts: 711
Default

One of the allures of the hobby.

__________________
Tesoro Vaquero, Texas History.
"Pacis prosecutus vos"

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 09-04-2011, 04:44 PM
David in DC David in DC is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC suburbs
Posts: 1,417
Default

Oh well...good luck finding that elusive indian and have fun trying!

__________________
CTX 3030

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Th3 Offspring's Avatar
Th3 Offspring Th3 Offspring is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 218
Default

I would say hot peroxide, really with a coin that encrusted and if you do not know what it is it's worthless anyway. Unless you can see a key date for sure then i would clean it! a couple hot peroxide baths and finish it off with some olive oil. If that doesn't bring out details then nothing can save this coin.

__________________
Totals: 1 Large Cent | 20 IHs | 35 Wheaties | 1 V Nickel | 1 Bust Dime | 1 Merc | 3 Rosies| 1 Washington | 2 Morgan Dollars| Clad: $12.65 | Oldest Coin: 1820 Bust Dime

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to clean green crust off a 10k ring? ***Update- All Cleaned up*** Slimpickuns Beach and Water Hunting 27 05-22-2012 01:10 PM
Little Green Car Silversmith45 Help To ID My Finds 10 12-03-2011 02:59 PM
Going Green PAID EXERCISE Family Friendly Topics 10 10-09-2011 09:30 AM
Going GREEN Critter Stories and Pictures of Finds 6 11-08-2008 02:23 PM
New in Green Bay packmann66 General Hobby Discussion 15 01-12-2007 07:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.