Lead button?

sandgroper

Elite Member
Found this round disk with two holes (made of lead) and looks very much like a button, at a 1920's house site. Only thing is, I've never heard of lead buttons (must be quite heavy on a coat or shirt!) so I'm not sure if it's actually a button or something else which looks quite similar, so I'd like to know. Haven't cleaned the dirt out of the holes, but here's what it looks like anyway. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 645
Some personal protection officer sew them into the lining of their suit coats so they can flip it out of the way if they need to go to work in a hurry, plus it kept the coats close when unbuttoned.

Some personal protection officer sew them into the lining of their suit coats so they can flip it out of the way if they need to go to work in a hurry, plus it kept the coats close when unbuttoned.
Definitely a hem weight.
Could be a homemade hem weight. Also could be a homemade button whizzer toy... as they were popular years back?
That right there is a hem weight.

Wow, thanks guys, I think you're right! Does any of you have an idea on its age (i.e. when they were used)?

Back
Top Bottom