Can big items/pipes cause ghost or false signals?

MarcS

I've been to an old park close by and it seems like it has some really big items and irrigation pipes in the ground. My question is, can those items cause false or ghost signals? Lots of times when I think i get a decent signal, I pinpoint, dig, and nothing is in the hole. Pretty frustrating. Many times I notice a very loud signal about a half a foot away, and I know that this is something big in the ground. Any advice?
Thanks!!

I have seen that with my Ace 250. What I do, is I try to pinpoint the item. If it is in a large area not like a sharp rise then fall in a small area, then I don't dig it.

Yes they can give you false signals. Just raise your coil about 6 inches and see if it still hits, especially if the signals says it is a shallow target.

I have hit sprinkler heads too buried along plastic irrigation line. The Stainless parts in the head grabbed me with the dime readings. Also buired conduit has led me astray a few times, but once I noticed that it was a linear target I left the area. In totlots I have to give a wide variance to the chainlink fence and the buried posts on the playground equipment with my 8" coil. My sniper coil allows me to get pretty close.

Back
Top Bottom