Alternative to E-Bay?

Mike1961

Elite Member
Years ago I use to do a little selling on E-Bay and have been considering it again. Yet, from some of the things I have heard from the members here, and read elsewhere online, not to mention their increasing fees, I’m having second thoughts. Is there an alternative to E-Bay? I’ve been to eBid’s website and based just on what I’ve read there it seems they might be worth consideration. Anyone have a site they would recommend and is there anyone with experience on ebid? Thanks

I don't Know of any one site like ebay, I to used to sell a bit but got tried of the hassels. I do know that for almost everything your selling there is a site to sell it on, the down side to that is to deal in one type of items on one site and have to go to another site for others. That can be a pain and take alot of time if dealing with lots of different items.

Maybe someone will chime in with something, I would like to know also.

Yep, Ebay has gotten out of hand with the fees. They try to move them around constantly by offering free listings and other tricks. Craigslist is the best free alternative at the moment but with ebays corporate structure already showing cracks, more and more sites are slowly coming to the front.

My problem with it besides the fees was all the people that write you trying to haggle. I understand trying to maybe get the price down on certain items, but I was getting anywhere from 2-10 people a day writing over and over again trying to make a cheaper deal.

I always tried to be fair with the prices and shipping and as soon as it sold it was out the door. Then you would never get a feed back from the person.
I have also sold on CL and have'nt had any problems but have heard stories that make me warey on some items.

What are you trying to sell??? You can try out:

Amazon.com --- anything I think
Half.com ---( books, movies, cds and games )
Ioffer.com --- Anything I think
alibris.com ---( books, movies, cds and games )

I tried craiglist once and every nutt in the world called me. I was selling my Vette and had one dude from Norway wanting me ship it to him and he would send me a check and I was to send the balance to him after shipping. Think he took a cue from the dude from Nigeria:lol:

What are you trying to sell??? You can try out:

Amazon.com --- anything I think
Half.com ---( books, movies, cds and games )
Ioffer.com --- Anything I think
alibris.com ---( books, movies, cds and games )

Right now coins and silver. I didn't realize that Amazon had online auctions.

This past year I really tried to make a go with ebay. I did something like 40 transactions (mostly selling) and have a 100% rating. Then they put this new policy in place where I would have to wait until the buyer received the item and posted a + feedback before Paypal would release the funds. After a couple of these I said forget it.

How easy would it be for a buyer to get my item, cry foul and never send it back but I'm out of luck because I don't get the cash? Plus, the fees (between ebay AND paypal) ended up being like 9% of the whole deal. That's highway robbery.

No more selling on ebay for me. I wasn't aware Amazon was an option. Might try them.

This past year I really tried to make a go with ebay. I did something like 40 transactions (mostly selling) and have a 100% rating. Then they put this new policy in place where I would have to wait until the buyer received the item and posted a + feedback before Paypal would release the funds. After a couple of these I said forget it.

How easy would it be for a buyer to get my item, cry foul and never send it back but I'm out of luck because I don't get the cash? Plus, the fees (between ebay AND paypal) ended up being like 9% of the whole deal. That's highway robbery.

No more selling on ebay for me. I wasn't aware Amazon was an option. Might try them.

Joe, check out this eBid. From what I read they sound like E-Bay use to be years ago.

go make an etsy

Go make an etsy acount, its not a auction style site but its more like your own personal store. Super cheap and stuff sells relatively quick. I have one and i love it :cool:

Alternative to E-bay

If your selling firearms, reloading or anything related go to Armslist. great site.
HH...C-Dog:gunbandanna:

It really depends what you're trying to sell. If you just have a few things and have a set price in mind, then there's probably lots of places to advertise the sale. But, if you want to be a regular seller again you go to where the people are, and that's Ebay. Sure no one likes higher fees but no one in their right mind would leave the best market place to save a little on fees. It's the equivalent to driving 100 miles to save 10 cents a gallon on gas.

My problem with it besides the fees was all the people that write you trying to haggle. I understand trying to maybe get the price down on certain items, but I was getting anywhere from 2-10 people a day writing over and over again trying to make a cheaper deal.

I always tried to be fair with the prices and shipping and as soon as it sold it was out the door. Then you would never get a feed back from the person.
I have also sold on CL and have'nt had any problems but have heard stories that make me warey on some items.

Interesting, and not sure what you were selling, because I might have got that maybe twice in 10 years. However, I have cut many great deals by people writing me and asking for a flat price for a combined sale. Haggling being a problem is certainly something I have not encountered.

they put this new policy in place where I would have to wait until the buyer received the item and posted a + feedback before Paypal would release the funds. After a couple of these I said forget it.

Joe, what would happen if they left a neutral, or no response?

I tried a few stores like Bonanza and eCrater.

Stores downright suck, lets say you price an item for $8, it could bring $16 in an auction, but you would never know it.

Plus you have to have a bunch of inventory sit around for months, it might take a year before something sells. Many do not have the room.

The best online auction alternative right now is eBid.

They don't do as good as eBay, but you don't have to put up with all the crap and fees.

Joe, check out this eBid. From what I read they sound like E-Bay use to be years ago.

Thanks Mike. I will.

I remember ebay back in the day and it was awesome. I get the whole thing about having to turn a profit but, like many businesses, they're either getting greedy or they're not running a tight enough ship.

Hence Bank of America charging $5 for the "privilege" of using their debit card every month. If it were not for debit cards, their expenses would be tremendous because of all the back office personnel required.

Rant over. :)

Back
Top Bottom