Great day at the park: two gold rings, my oldest coin, a load of clad, and an AT Pro observation

Bagelbites

Forum Supporter
Hey y'all, thanks for reading. I had a great day today at a park in a bad part of town. About 20 minutes in, I got a solid, shallow 42 hit near the basketball court, and came up with the 10k nugget-style ring, weighing in around 3.4 grams. I always thought this style is ugly, but it sure looked pretty in that moment. At 42, this is now the lowest reading I've gotten for gold (see below paragraph for a different take).

Later on, an older Asian gentleman approached me with a big smile on his face, and it became apparent that he spoke no English. I showed him my ring find, and he excitedly watched as I dug a chunk of aluminum. He took off his wedding band and put it in the hole and covered it with dirt, about 2 inches deep. I waved my machine over it, and of course it sounded off. The ring was steadily coming in at 88-90! Higher than the quarters I had been digging. I asked to see the ring. It wasn't very large in diameter, but it was chunky and probably weighed around 8 grams. Marked "9999". This had me stunned. A 24k gold ring reading higher than a quarter. So just at this one park, gold targets ranged from 42 to 90. I've got a lot more to learn about my machine.

Later on, I got a 45 signal and pulled up another 10k ring with purplish stone. Weighs 1.2 grams.

Toward the end of my hunt, I scored the 1901 French 10 cent coin. It has a hole through it so I'm assuming it was part of a necklace or something, but I'm counting it as my oldest coin. In all, I pulled in just over $25 in clad, some junk jewelry, and a hunt in the ghetto wouldn't be complete without spent rounds and drug paraphernalia. Happy hunting folks.

Attachments

• 20190104_135509.jpg
    20190104_135509.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 543
  • 20190104_142353.jpg
    20190104_142353.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 515
  • 20190104_142721.jpg
    20190104_142721.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 519
  • 20190104_135633.jpg
    20190104_135633.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 20190104_135650.jpg
    20190104_135650.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 513
  • 20190104_135930.jpg
    20190104_135930.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 511
  • 20190104_135955.jpg
    20190104_135955.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Nice finds! I think the at pro is just one of the best..Most smaller rings are usually in the 40s,so your spot on..Congrats and looking forward to seeing more

What a great day and finds BagelBee!! I do remember, several years ago..like many many years ago..there was a poster who called himself 'BHLandstar'....he found a huge 9999 gold ring in a totter and said it hit just like a Quarter signal...l never forgot that..always wondered....

Its very unusual for gold to ping in that high...but hey, thats gold for ya right?...so good post that refreshed my memory...

Congratulations on the nice haul, love rings. Those VDIs can through you. I had a Whites m6 three years ago. Got a permission from a lady acquaintce to detect her town lot containing a mobile home but had had a house on it through a big part of 1900s. When she gave me permission she told me if I found her class ring she would like it back. I air tested my old class ring and it rang up either 42 or 47 on the m6, can't remember which.

Anyway after hunting the front and side yard I was swinging down a strip by her back yard that a neighbor informed me had been an alley many years ago. When I got behind the mobile home I noticed a foundation about the size of an outhouse just above ground level. Swung around one corner and got a hit at 42 or 47 (can't remember which) and thought maybe I had found her ring. When I flipped the plug over laid a 1915 Indian $5 gold piece, it's my avatar photo. So you just never know.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

oh my you found my spinish pipe
i lost that back in 2012 when i was
going thru sacramento from grass valley where i moved
i will offer you $5.00 to get it back
the bowl had some good smoke in it
when it was lost
i know i can really get high with the aged dirt bud now
see how i can't spell correctly due to lack of my pipe!!:lol:

oh my you found my spinish pipe
i lost that back in 2012 when i was
going thru sacramento from grass valley where i moved
i will offer you $5.00 to get it back
the bowl had some good smoke in it
when it was lost
i know i can really get high with the aged dirt bud now
see how i can't spell correctly due to lack of my pipe!!:lol:

Grass Valley :laughing:

Hey y'all, thanks for reading. I had a great day today at a park in a bad part of town. About 20 minutes in, I got a solid, shallow 42 hit near the basketball court, and came up with the 10k nugget-style ring, weighing in around 3.4 grams. I always thought this style is ugly, but it sure looked pretty in that moment. At 42, this is now the lowest reading I've gotten for gold (see below paragraph for a different take).

Later on, an older Asian gentleman approached me with a big smile on his face, and it became apparent that he spoke no English. I showed him my ring find, and he excitedly watched as I dug a chunk of aluminum. He took off his wedding band and put it in the hole and covered it with dirt, about 2 inches deep. I waved my machine over it, and of course it sounded off. The ring was steadily coming in at 88-90! Higher than the quarters I had been digging. I asked to see the ring. It wasn't very large in diameter, but it was chunky and probably weighed around 8 grams. Marked "9999". This had me stunned. A 24k gold ring reading higher than a quarter. So just at this one park, gold targets ranged from 42 to 90. I've got a lot more to learn about my machine.

Later on, I got a 45 signal and pulled up another 10k ring with purplish stone. Weighs 1.2 grams.

Toward the end of my hunt, I scored the 1901 French 10 cent coin. It has a hole through it so I'm assuming it was part of a necklace or something, but I'm counting it as my oldest coin. In all, I pulled in just over $25 in clad, some junk jewelry, and a hunt in the ghetto wouldn't be complete without spent rounds and drug paraphernalia. Happy hunting folks.

Bagelbites, this is a killer post. I've always wondered what pure gold in a ring shape would ring up as. That's an awesome bit of information!

Also *tongue in cheek*, I'd count that as a ring return! LOL

What an awesome day, to pull a double! And yeah, I also agree. Nugget rings don't really appeal to me either, but like you, I've found plenty of "ugly rings" that sure look good coming out of the ground!!!

Happy new year!

Skippy

Holy cow! Congrats on finding a silver french indo-china coin! Nice finds all around!

Congrats, 2 dirt gold in one hunt is pretty impressive! I have noticed too that gold rings up weirdly on detectors. I have an 18k white gold wedding ring which rings up as a 12:07 on the CTX (a bit lower than a US nickel), however someone once asked me to test their ring at the beach (which was also 18k, but golden gold i.e not white gold) and it came up as a 12:38/39 (which I think might be in the penny range). Early last year I found an 11g 9k ring which rang up as a 12:41 (also penny range I think). So you pretty much have to dig everything to get the gold. Again, congrats on your successful outing!

Back
Top Bottom