Question about drones

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I was wondering if any of you use a drone in your detecting adventures. I was thinking it should save lots of time scouting areas in the middle of nowhere. Also I was wondering what would be a decent drone to buy that isn't very expensive just to fly for fun, never had one but think that it might be something that I would enjoy doing.

The funny thing is I was thinking about this recently.
I use a handheld GPS when I MD.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I absolutely love watching footage from drones. I would say if you did decide to do it, early spring would be the proper time with all the leaves gone and you would be able to see the ground a lot better. Good luck, and I hope you post some vids if you get one.;):yes:

I was wondering if any of you use a drone in your detecting adventures. I was thinking it should save lots of time scouting areas in the middle of nowhere. Also I was wondering what would be a decent drone to buy that isn't very expensive just to fly for fun, never had one but think that it might be something that I would enjoy doing.

I have a DJI Mavic Pro. It's really nice. I haven't used it much yet, I get nervous that it will fly away and not come back! I have flown it around my neighborhood and spied in my neighborhood. I knew this neighbor had a junk yard of vehicles in his yard!

Attachments

• screen_b6bbf71c905f5c9f_1517697254387.jpg
    screen_b6bbf71c905f5c9f_1517697254387.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 318
I have a cheap $25 one with wifi camera, my buddy has a drone with all the bells n whistles and also auto-homing if it gets out of range.

Drones

The DJI Mavic line is awesome. I love my Mavic Air. Extremely portable and a breeze to fly. The camera is capable of shooting in 4K and is production quality. I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro as well. Not as easy to transport but has a much larger sensor for top of the line production quality video. The phantom line is a breezy to fly as well. Expect to pay $800-$1500 for a quality hobby drone. I exclusively recommend DJI.

Just as a FYI, there are rules and regulations as to where you can fly. Airspace is becoming more and more off-limits, so keep up to date on all FAA regulations.

One last thing, I compare cheap drones to a cheap detector. Sure the cheapy would be fun to tool around with, but the experience is better with a good quality drone. The flight technology is not all different between differing drone companies. The money in the drone is largely with the camera.

The DJI Mavic line is awesome. I love my Mavic Air. Extremely portable and a breeze to fly. The camera is capable of shooting in 4K and is production quality. I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro as well. Not as easy to transport but has a much larger sensor for top of the line production quality video. The phantom line is a breezy to fly as well. Expect to pay $800-$1500 for a quality hobby drone. I exclusively recommend DJI.

Just as a FYI, there are rules and regulations as to where you can fly. Airspace is becoming more and more off-limits, so keep up to date on all FAA regulations.

One last thing, I compare cheap drones to a cheap detector. Sure the cheapy would be fun to tool around with, but the experience is better with a good quality drone. The flight technology is not all different between differing drone companies. The money in the drone is largely with the camera.
You have to admit tho, it’s amazing what the Chinese can do for $25 :lol:

I got a Holy Stone HS700 for Christmas. I'm not likely to use it in detecting, but it is a fun machine to play around with. Not as high quality as my brother's DJI, but also not nearly as expensive.

I was wondering if any of you use a drone in your detecting adventures. I was thinking it should save lots of time scouting areas in the middle of nowhere.

I personally fly a Mavic Pro (original) and it's been a pretty fun bird - some of my stuff on Mitten Drone Media.

I do use it to help find beach cuts in the water or sometimes to find old foundations or structures that are easier to see from the sky. This is just a fun video from a trip I took.

Back
Top Bottom