Will a metal detector get worn down?

FrankCastle

Newbie questions incoming!

I want to ask a question I haven't been able to find the answer to. Do metal detectors get worn down? By that I mean if they become worse over the years in finding signals or the ability to differentiate.
I'm asking because I want to get back into the detector world. I used to have a simple detector as a kid about 20 years ago and now I'm thinking about buying a used Garrett AT Pro to get started.

Will a 4 yo AT Pro be a bad investment or do they just keep running?

I want to ask a question I haven't been able to find the answer to. Do metal detectors get worn down? By that I mean if they become worse over the years in finding signals or the ability to differentiate.
I'm asking because I want to get back into the detector world. I used to have a simple detector as a kid about 20 years ago and now I'm thinking about buying a used Garrett AT Pro to get started.

No. They don't wear down in any way that you are referring to. Not that I have heard of anyway. A 4yr old ATPro should be fine

Kind of depends on what it's been doing the last 4 years. If it was used 40 hours a week in the river for 4 years it could be a concern. If it spent a couple hours a month in the park it's as good as new. Normally they either work or they don't. Id check the condition of the cable, especially where it enters the coil. If it looks like it's been taken care of, I would not be afraid of a 4 year old pro.

I think that back in the analog days,component “drift” was much more of a concern,and even at that probably not hardly a concern at all. You don’t have to worry about an ATP “wearing out” or “going bad” or “withering on the vine”....components these days seem to be very stable and hold up to specs over many many power cycles and continuous use.

Short answer is no. Jim brings up a good point of hours, but many of us are weekend warriors due to work.

You should be able to look at the pictures and get a good idea, of how hard it was used.

Get a close up pic of the cable into coil area, my Fisher had that problem 2 years ago had to send in for repairs, my unit is now 9 years old. Try to get a used machine @ a good price, don't pay near full price, remember used is used. Good luck.

I have several detectors, one is an older Tesoro Compadre of which I am at least the third owner and it works perfectly fine.
As mentioned drift and other problems that used to be concerns with older tools don't seem to be a real issues nowadays.
So most modern detectors don't usually "wear out".
However detectorists themselves wearing out is something else.

At pro is goid machine, todays detectors don't wear down.
Mine is from 2010 and one day the pinpoint button stopped working. I need to send it in for repairs. I think detectors will just stop a certain function instead of just weaking.

.over the years, THIS Metal Detector is getting pretty worn down!:laughing:

I will say though, theres something to be said about getting a rig that has a pedigree as a producer in field, a money maker...Same with a rifle or a bow or an employee or a dog......no matter the shape or age they are, some rigs simply produce results! Some may call this concept superstitious...but, we have all witnessed this phenomenon too many times to discount it....

So I'd ask the seller if this rig has consistently performed and found them anything worth while..then I'd go from there...:laughing:.

Manufacturers anticipate particular things buyers might do, so...in every detector manual usually toward the last page is a list of things good and bad that you should and shouldn't do with your new investment.

If you comply with the "good" recommendations? no problem. The detector could very well last longer than you.

If you ignore and violate the "good" recommendations?? Don't complain or act surprised when it quits prematurely.

.over the years, THIS Metal Detector is getting pretty worn down!:laughing:

I will say though, theres something to be said about getting a rig that has a pedigree as a producer in field, a money maker...Same with a rifle or a bow or an employee or a dog......no matter the shape or age they are, some rigs simply produce results! Some may call this concept superstitious...but, we have all witnessed this phenomenon too many times to discount it....

So I'd ask the seller if this rig has consistently performed and found them anything worth while..then I'd go from there...:laughing:.

Lol.
You thought what I did when I read.

Extreme heat or cold from keeping one in a car trunk or outside garage, can damage one. I have 2 or 3 bad White's coils from Texas summer heat while keeping them in my trunk.

I don't do that anymore. Other people have surely lost integrity from the same action. The control boxes don't appreciate that stress either, be it one event or over time.

Extreme heat or cold from keeping one in a car trunk or outside garage, can damage one. I have 2 or 3 bad White's coils from Texas summer heat while keeping them in my trunk.

I don't do that anymore. Other people have surely lost integrity from the same action. The control boxes don't appreciate that stress either, be it one event or over time.

Yes you're right on😬

The problem for most in the hobby is actually using their detector at all. Just like exercise equipment. They make fine dust collectors.

Worn down? Not really. Outdated? Just like everything else.

Yeah you can get some wear.
Keypads can wear.
A pinpoint switch can wear.

Any buttons used loads could wear out with time.

Any mechanical moving part can fail with extended use.

Wires in plugs can break and or loose their connections (solder joints)

The electronics inside not so much. But the boards with temp changes (extreme) and the solder connections could fail. Depending on how designed some board flexing with detector use, movement, vibration could break electrical connection(s).

And if detector is subjected to moisture and it leaks this could cause problems too, these problems not always felt immediately but can show up in time. Salt water will really show up faster.

Naturally any electronic component can fail. LCDs, leds, etc

Detector rod parts like pins and springs can wear too.

Cheers

If you store them properly in a dry environment without batteries they will be fine for many years. They will do exactly what they were designed for at the time.

But buying an used AT Pro gives you a 20 year leap on technology over your old detector.

Salt water used machines suffer from cable rot. Rinse with fresh water after each use.

Back
Top Bottom