Recent North Dakota and Montana Finds... tokens, silver!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
My wife and I recently headed off from Western Montana to Bismarck ND for an estate auction, and for a chance to check out a lot of the small and disappearing SW North Dakota towns for bottle digging and metal detecting. We took the back roads when we got to Miles City Montana and headed east! I brought the AT Pro with me and we did make some good finds!

The first stop was in Bowman ND., we did three private property front yards there with permission and found a gorgeous 1942 Walking Liberty Half, a silver Rosie, and 3 silver Mercury dimes, a 1930 Buffalo Nickel, along with Wheat pennies and the usual clad. Very friendly and pleasant people there! We did enjoy a tasty community dinner at the downtown park, and had a fun time visiting with the mostly older residents.

We did travel east thru many tiny and/or abandoned ND towns without stopping to detect as we did have a time limit to get to Bismarck. Our overnight stay was across the Missouri River in Mandan ND., and we did some detecting across the street from where we were staying the night, at a 1920's home. Lots of Wheat Pennies and a nice Silver Merc. First pic shows the North Dakota finds.

After the antique auction (held in the tiny town of McKenzie ND), we headed west and made it to Miles City. The next day, as we continued west, I chose Three Forks Montana to make a stop and check out the curb strips and yards. We got a permission to detect a gorgeous 1920's mansion with lots of grass. Finds there were the usual Wheaties and Clad, plus two Indian Head pennies, a "The Brunswick / Three Forks Mont." trade token, a Silver War Nickel, and a silver Rosie dime.

Returning home, I spent several hours up in Missoula detecting today, with my friend from Florence Montana. We did get a few curb strip silvers, but most of the good stuff came from a private yard permission. He runs the Nox 600 and does well! Finds for my friend today were 4 Silver Dimes, 2 Buffalo Nickels, the usual Wheaties and Clad, and a cool copper "ANACONDA" Montana marked arrowhead (shown in last pic).

My finds were 4 Silver Dimes and a Silver Washington quarter, a Missoula dog tag, Chinese coin, small 1930's race car charm, and 4 tokens! Two of them are the local bus tokens, but one was from "The Horseshoe" (a local saloon) and the other was marked "Hotel Jardine / Jackson / Montana!" Jackson is a small town located between Wisdom MT and Dillon MT near the headwaters of the Big Hole River. It has a population of less than 100 people. I was pretty pleased about that find!

We both got plenty of Wheat Pennies today plus the usual copper Memorials and clad. A fun group of digs, and thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• bowman.jpg
    bowman.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 825
  • forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 755
  • miss1.jpg
    miss1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 714
  • miss2.jpg
    miss2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 677
  • miss3.jpg
    miss3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 686
  • miss4.jpg
    miss4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 690
  • miss5.jpg
    miss5.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 724
  • garypic.jpg
    garypic.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 673
Nice digs. You continue to give me hope that there is still some good stuff to be found, even in our relatively recently settled and sparsely populated state.

Hi MTtrashdigger! Have sent you a couple of private messages and yes, there is a lot left to detect here in Montana, and in many Western states for that matter.

All of the "usual suspects" have been hammered, so I don't even consider doing parks, school yards, playfields, fairgrounds etc. unless I am hunting jewelry or trying to rack up the modern clad coins. Detecting private yards with permission and in some areas checking the curb strips are about the only relatively untouched areas to make finds here.

nice finds, I did some fishing at anaconda in montana a few times, actually caught some really nice trout for such a small section of river.

Thank you for the kind words! I think I know of that river near Anaconda, there is one just east of town that has good trout fishing!

Thank you. Grateful to have found some decent items, and glad I was able to check out a few North Dakota and Montana towns!

Teotwawki12 - thank you and yes, we did well at the Estate Auction. The deceased party was an auto dealer in ND., and I was able to buy some old auto manuals from the 1930's, lots of showroom posters, along with bottles, oil lamps, and general cool old stuff.

woodbutcher - Hah! thank you, and yes, there is a "certain detector" that has obsoleted all others, but the Pro seems to do well for me. I do hunt regularly with a friend who has an Equinox 600, and another friend who has the Deus, and based on the soil conditions here, and that the old coins are not super deep due to our semi arid climate, and the lack of a ton of trash or iron in the ground, the AT Pro does just as well here as those other two machines. Of course that is for coins, tokens, buttons, some relics, and fresh water beaches.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom