Drones vs Privacy?

My problem with drones is just what are the qualifications for those to buy or operate??

Any background check necessary??

Any indentifaction requirements on the drone itself??

You see where this is going???

Could drone pack plastic explosives or anything really that do folks harm???

And can a drone,,,,let's say,,can the same drone,,be switched by by multiple operators with remote controls,,,,thereby being able to take the drone into some places to commit illegal acts.

I thought I saw a drone in super bowl,,,what was its purpose??? Was it for video feed,or camera shots???

Oh,any insurance requirements for owner/operators of drones???

I could see where they could be operated in designated areas,,,but that is all,,IMO.

I wonder if my home owners policy covers damage caused by drone,,,even a drone labeled as say a terrorist drone??

For the most part, drone behavior is much like metal detecting. If you're on public property like a park and there are no published regulations outside of established FAA regulations, you can shoot any drone video you want, including into someone's backyard. If a drone is high over your backyard and under 500 feet, they can fly it but there must be nobody in the yard. If they're close to the ground, you have grounds to complain.

I'm assuming he has one of the DJI Phantom drones. They're the most common "good one". If so his is heavy enough to require registration and they'll know who he is. If you know exactly who the drone pilot is and you feel he is violating established FAA rules, you have every right to file a complaint with the FAA. A lot of times these guys Youtube all their video so search around for any online. It's the best ammunition but filing a complaint might be enough to get his attention. And they DO send out complaints. The FAA is taking drone technology seriously right now.

These psychopaths who are strapping guns on their drones terrify me. Not is it only HIGHLY illegal in the United States, it's only a matter of time before the wrong person gets the wrong idea. I've already seen video of a 1911 on a functional drone and firing off several aimed shots. Super scary.

Here's the link to get you started:
https://www.faa.gov/contact/safety_hotline/

There was a guy here in CT firing a gun from a drone a couple years back...after the uproar from that video died down, he attached a flamethrower to another drone and flew it around burning stuff...he got in a bit of trouble over that one:laughing:

My problem with drones is just what are the qualifications for those to buy or operate??
Cash.
Any background check necessary?
None.
Any identification requirements on the drone itself??
Just a registered serial number.
Could drone pack plastic explosives or anything really that do folks harm??
Easily. Some can carry 50+lbs.
I thought I saw a drone in super bowl,,,what was its purpose??? Was it for video feed,or camera shots??
You probably saw the "cable cam" which can move anywhere in the field, even to ground level. In the past that single camera was operated by three people, now it's just a simple joystick.
Oh,any insurance requirements for owner/operators of drones??
Just the owner's homeowner's insurance liability coverage.
I wonder if my home owners policy covers damage caused by drone,,,even a drone labeled as say a terrorist drone??
Doesn't matter. The operator would be liable. Collecting on their insurance would be another matter.

They're fun, but they can be a very expensive hobby that can instantly disappear into the trees, river, ocean, etc and never heard from again. My neighbor, an inexperienced drone operator with more money than brains, took his new DJI Phantom, gimble lock, GoPro....tricked out huge.....and flew it into the top of a 80ft. oak tree where it got stuck real good. He had to call into a tree service and have them bring their bucket truck to get it down.

If you're in the market for one, buy a small $50ish one where you can learn basic controls, judge wind conditions and proper safety. And if it's over the weight minimum, it MUST be registered with the FAA.

Well now remember, it doesn't take a drone to blowup a stadium full of people. A simple RC (remote control) toy truck can do the same damage. Where drones get dangerous is a fool at the controls. Kind of like blaming the gun for killing someone.

Well now remember, it doesn't take a drone to blowup a stadium full of people. A simple RC (remote control) toy truck can do the same damage. Where drones get dangerous is a fool at the controls. Kind of like blaming the gun for killing someone.

That's true. I guess you could mount a phone on an RC car and strap a bomb to it and drive it around the street to the nearest Starbucks and cause mass casuality...but it's different. Just by chance the amount of people that could see it on it's way there is much different than a drone delivering it from 400ft up where no one would recognise it was a threat (if they even could identify it was).

This is a little absurd, but think of an RC car carrying a suitcase and how much attention that would draw vs a drone carrying the same suitcase. A bystandard could easily stop the RC car but no one could do anything about the drone (realistically).

Starbucks is actually a pretty bad example because drones can get to places other means can't just because the air aspect of it. But say like a high school football stadium example instead.

Just like privacy, you couldn't steer an RC car into someones gated backyard either, but you can above it with a drone and essentially invade that space.

Last edited:

It is much easier to fly a drone into a stadium than it is to drive an RC truck.

I'm sure they have thought about ways to detect things flying into highly populated spots like stadiums, maybe low level radar, maybe even monitoring weather radar for unusual blips ?

Besides drones, there are some large RC planes out there too -
rcplane.jpg

rcplane2.jpg

Some good looking planes you have there.

I use to know someone years ago,,,who flew RC planes.

I never got interested though.

Some good looking planes you have there.

I use to know someone years ago,,,who flew RC planes.

I never got interested though.

Not my planes, just pics I found online to use as examples of how large some RC planes are, but thanks anyhow :lol:

I was interested in model rocketry as a kid, putting together the old Estes model rocket kits.

I sure can see where a drone with a cam would be very useful in our hobby.
I've been trying to find a spot in the woods out my way where there's a junked '51 Nash and an old stone chimney (saw someone's photo of it) but repeated attempts to locate it myself have been futile.

Back
Top Bottom