Warbirds of America

Me too, one of my hero's was Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
The 214 was a formidable force in the Pacific Theater. The F-4U might not be as fast as a P-51, but it was way more maneuverable, and being a fighter/bomber that had carrier landing ability made it a pretty essential component.

I still watch re-runs of Black Sheep Squadron. :cool: A local channel shows two episodes back-to-back on Sundays.

AirVenture

The EAA Museum is located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and I am lucky enough to have attended the annual AirVenture event featured in this video a number of times. Anyone who likes airplanes, history, aviation, etc. should attend, it is totally epic. In addition to the regular museum exhibits (a variety of planes, gliders, jets, plane parts, and a flight simulator), there are multiple air shows during the six days of the event, helicopter/plane rides, literally hundreds of vendor stalls and tons of family activities (younger kids can make cardboard rockets and rubber-band powered balsa planes; older kids can make a wooden plane prop replica or try riveting).

While at AirVenture, I got to fly for the first time (on a helicopter, still haven't been on a plane), I got to see a B-17G Flying Fortress in flight (got to see it take off and everything!), also got to see a B-25 and a C-5 Galaxy, Blue Angels F-18, F-22 Raptor, AV-8B Harrier and too many warbirds to count.

More information on AirVenture can be found here, with video of last year's AirVenture: http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure This year, they will have a world-record skydiving attempt, the world's oldest airworthy jet (F-86A Sabre) and the AV-8B Harrier will attend. For a little over $400 you can also ride in the B-17.

I always liked old planes, especially World War II ones. As a kid my favorite computer games were Fighter Ace and Pearl Harbor Zero Hour. My dad and I used to argue over whether the P-38 Lightening or the P-51 Mustang was better, lol.

In the summer of 2012 my wife and I went to visit our daughter and
her family in North England. I was alone at a wooden zone near the
fields when I hear an airplane coming . I couldn't believe my eyes when
I saw this Supermarine Spitfire from the nearby RAF Leeming Bar airbase
circling around. It later disappeared as fast as it came. For an instant I felt transferred to the 1940's ,but I come from the
american continent and the 1940's were the years when my parents were young , a real freaky but at the same emotive experience....:yes:

PS.: most probably this the same Spitfire I saw that day.I just found
a youtube video ::cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqpLjYQw0p0

In the summer of 2012 my wife and I went to visit our daughter and
her family in North England. I was alone at a wooden zone near the
fields when I hear an airplane coming . I couldn't believe my eyes when
I saw this Supermarine Spitfire from the nearby RAF Leeming Bar airbase
circling around. It later disappeared as fast as it came. For an instant I felt transferred to the 1940's ,but I come from the
american continent and the 1940's were the years when my parents were young , a real freaky but at the same emotive experience....:yes:

PS.: most probably this the same Spitfire I saw that day.I just found
a youtube video ::cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqpLjYQw0p0

I think those planes had style.

Back
Top Bottom