Found in Virginia Creek...

k2gleaner

Elite Member
Found in a creek running past a small old town in central Virginia. Thought I've seen something like this here before, or since I've been detecting but can't recall. Maybe 6.5" in diameter. Iron.

c2bbe20f7e70e4d1ad90ba4842350fab.jpg
97d7436ec88c3ec932118d5826e269c6.jpg
f3f91971350a67ea6ecec1468c6a656f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was used, I think, to cover the one of the eyelets on an old cast iron stove. I can still see my old granny cooking breakfast on one of those stoves.

...to cover the one of the eyelets on an old cast iron stove....

Do you mean on the cooking surface? This piece is not smooth on either side. It seems too have pie-shaped indentations all around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was thinking a possible step for a buggy or something like that.
That piece that sticks out from it appears to affixed to the circular part and appears to have an attachment point to something at it's end.

...It appears to be solid metal, and was never open between the prongs.

Foragist, I made a discovery earlier today and was going to get some pictures taken shortly. It actually is not solid like I initially thought. I rapped it on something solid and a piece came loose. I continued to do it until I had almost all the crud out.

Earlier today, I thought about mentioning to you all that it did not feel heavy enough to be solid cast iron. I just thought the indentations were for weight relief.

They still might be for that. If indeed they were used as a step on a buggy, no need for extra weight, but would they not be made out of something different altogether? I don't know.

Pics coming soon...

I believe its a small stove grate the handle is to shake the cinders .
Stick

Pretty sure it's a battery jar electrode/foot.

Hey that seems like a good possibility too! The protruding arm thing strongly resembles the one in your example pic. This 6 1/2 inch wide one would have been for a big battery! Intriguing!
The thing in my hand in my avatar pic is one of those "crow's foot" terminals, after heavy use and decades in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom