This is a true "nickel"

marcomo

Since 1866, except for four years during WWII, the US nickel has been 75% copper and only 25% nickel, an alloy referred to as cupro-nickel. Like other primarily copper coins, they become what numismatists refer to as "environmentally damaged" when dug out of the ground.

Recently I dug a 1950 Canadian nickel deep enough to know there was no chance of it being a recent drop. And it came out of the ground looking good. So I'm thinking the Canadian nickel metallic composition must be different than the US.

Sure enough, the Canadian nickel was minted with 99.9 pure nickel from 1922-1942, 1946-1951 and 1955-1981.

Attachments

• DSCN1418.jpg
    DSCN1418.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 423
I forget the years, but modern Canadian quarters are also 100% nickel. Canada has a very large Nickel deposit if you are wondering why they use nickel in their coinage so much.

Fun fact you can try: Did you know that 100% nickel is magnetic?

Years ago I dug a small Canadian nickle that was silver. If I remember right it was from the 30's and smaller than a dime.

It had to be 1921 or earlier, from 1858-1921 Canadian 5 cent pieces (i can't bring myself to call them nickels with no nickel in them) were a bit smaller than a US dime and made of silver. No doubt our Canuck friends love finding those!

Thanks for posting , that's good to know . Those would be nickels worth saving .

Yes, even at current lower prices they would have an intrinsic value of over 20 cents. I wonder how hard to find they are in Canadian circulation?

I forget the years, but modern Canadian quarters are also 100% nickel. Canada has a very large Nickel deposit if you are wondering why they use nickel in their coinage so much.

Fun fact you can try: Did you know that 100% nickel is magnetic?

And thank you for the knowledge, I knew that pure nickel is magnetic but I didn't know some Canadian quarters were made of pure nickel too. I looked it up and the dates are from 1968-1999. Before that they were silver. That means all Canadian quarters up until 1999 are worth saving.

Since 1866, except for four years during WWII, the US nickel has been 75% copper and only 25% nickel, an alloy referred to as cupro-nickel. Like other primarily copper coins, they become what numismatists refer to as "environmentally damaged" when dug out of the ground.

Recently I dug a 1950 Canadian nickel deep enough to know there was no chance of it being a recent drop. And it came out of the ground looking good. So I'm thinking the Canadian nickel metallic composition must be different than the US.

Sure enough, the Canadian nickel was minted with 99.9 pure nickel from 1922-1942, 1946-1951 and 1955-1981.

Nice find......During WW2, Canada did what the USA did.....because nickel was a critical war material other alloys were used as a substitute for nickel in the 5 cent coins. In 1942 and 1943 a copper-zinc alloy was used and they were referred to as TOMBAC. In 1944 and 1945 Chrome plated steel was used. Around the reverse rim are symbols of Morse code that spell out.....We Win When We Work Willingly. The beaver design was replaced by a Large "V" and a flaming torch in 1943. The beaver design was brought back in 1946.

What machine do you use,and what did it ring up as? I mean did it ring up as a solid nickel signal like U.S. nickels Or was it a little different?

Nice find......During WW2, Canada did what the USA did.....because nickel was a critical war material other alloys were used as a substitute for nickel in the 5 cent coins. In 1942 and 1943 a copper-zinc alloy was used and they were referred to as TOMBAC. In 1944 and 1945 Chrome plated steel was used. Around the reverse rim are symbols of Morse code that spell out.....We Win When We Work Willingly. The beaver design was replaced by a Large "V" and a flaming torch in 1943. The beaver design was brought back in 1946.

That's fascinating thanks for sharing.

Apologies to everybody for my stupidity!

I was looking at a calculator for Canadian 5 cent intrinsic value for a 99.9% pure nickel and thinking it was for a US 25% nickel 75% copper 5 cent piece. I also didn't take into account the value of the copper in the US nickel

Long story short, my figures were way off. A 99.9 Canadian nickel is worth just over five cents at current nickel bullion prices.

I'll be more careful with my math in the future!:shock:

Apologies to everybody for my stupidity!

I was looking at a calculator for Canadian 5 cent intrinsic value for a 99.9% pure nickel and thinking it was for a US 25% nickel 75% copper 5 cent piece. I also didn't take into account the value of the copper in the US nickel

Long story short, my figures were way off. A 99.9 Canadian nickel is worth just over five cents at current nickel bullion prices.

I'll be more careful with my math in the future!:shock:

No biggie , everyone makes mistakes . I spend the greater portion of my time making them .:lol: Great picture of the Nickel .Nice lighting and backround , I have a lot of trouble getting that right .

Hi All !

Interesting post Marcomo !

I started collecting Canadian coins approx. 2 years ago and have several with the 12 Flats around the periphery.

Have any of you had a problem with any type of coin machine rejecting the Canadians with 12-Flats ?

ToddB64

What machine do you use,and what did it ring up as? I mean did it ring up as a solid nickel signal like U.S. nickels Or was it a little different?

Found with the AT Pro. As best I can recall, it bounced around below US nickel range in the foil range (40's) but I dug it because it sounded more solid than foil usually does and it pinpointed small like a coin or ring would.

I love Canada nickels. Has to be one of my favorite coin designs. Used to get them in my change at the grocery store when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom