Now that the season is over in the North, how do you spend your time?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I mean, without detecting, there's so much "extra" time in the day...what does everyone here do to fill the void?

I'm planning (after the holidays) on learning the settings on my Nox 800...play with them and see what sort of custom configurations I can come up with, and learn HOW to set the configurations (I haven't done much other than use Park 2)

If you are a beach hunter in the northeast your season is just beginning... at least for me.. I rarely hunt the summer months.

If you are a beach hunter in the northeast your season is just beginning... at least for me.. I rarely hunt the summer months.

Well, I'm in Northern Illinois...no beaches to speak of here other than small lakes...I DO plan on getting to some of them when we get some "warm" days, as well as hit some tot lots...but no more dirt fishing for awhile

Well, I'm in Northern Illinois...no beaches to speak of here other than small lakes...I DO plan on getting to some of them when we get some "warm" days, as well as hit some tot lots...but no more dirt fishing for awhile

Come to Connecticut our soil is mud from the extreme rain we have had and are still having... its close to 50 degrees today and tomorrow.. :yes: I'm sick of the rain and wet conditions here.

I must be a little more obsessed than most. When the ground is frozen around here, I hit the woods. When the woods are frozen, I hit the beach. Nothing like digging a manhole size plug of frozen beach sand on an 8° F day just to retrieve a clad dime! :crazy:

We get a few regular snowbirds on the Florida Treasure coast.

They come down all pale and anxious. LOL

Extra time? Well, I go to work in the morning and it’s dark, when I get home from work at nite it’s dark. And that’s just an 8-5 job. Going to try my hand at home fur tanning this winter.

Winter is time to make improvements and do additional experiments in the hardware and software of my DIY PI detector.

I am hoping to add Iron detection to this detector this winter. I have a few ideas but need to actually try them to see if they will work then find the best implementation and how to give an output to represent iron.

I do still have nails and other iron in the back yard (I know where) for quick in ground tests.

Here is my build thread:
http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?24251-My-take-on-the-HH2

If weather is not too cold I will get out to some wooded areas detecting. There the ground tends not to freeze under the leaf layer so digging is possible.

Hunting deer, coin roll hunting and occasionally buying some coins off eBay.

It's just getting started. As long as the ground isn't frozen we can still dig. That is especally true for the fields that were just turned over last month.

Well , for me like above wake up drive to work in the dark and by the time I get home it's dark. The weekend comes and I'll attempt a hunt until my fingers are frozen or I can not find anywhere within an hour and a half that the dirt is so frozen I can no longer penetrate the ground with any known man made tool.

Today was ugly but other then the top two inches the ground was soft . Never mind the inch of snow and the freezing rain blowing at 15mph. I had to get out at least once .

Went out for two hours and took one brake in the truck to get the fealin back into my fingers . So far so good but any day now could be our last .
Still saved a few so it's all good.👍
As far as the next 4 months 🤔. I'm still in denial. I'm not thinking about that .
,Dew

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 177
Ground is saturated right now from all the rain, so I'm still hitting parks, ballfields and schools. When those freeze later this week, it's off to the woods to search for colonial relics. The woods won't freeze solid for many weeks, so I'm all set for awhile.

The wife has a list of honeydews. I will spend some time working on her list. And for my own personal time I will I will smoke up a batch of cheese and make some Canadian bacon probably throw in some trout to smoke do some more research and gain some weight.

I live in Rhode Island and it's almost always a year round hobby here.

I've hunted in huge snow storms - on the beach of course - as well as in the woods which are the last place to freeze as the leaves insulate the ground. Heck, snow can insulate the ground and keep it from freezing. A buddy of mine and I once shoveled out a good sized piece of land in the woods because it was productive.

I've only been stopped by winter once maybe 2-3 years ago when it was below 20 degrees for a couple of weeks straight and even the ocean beaches froze solid. Usually though, I hunt year round.

Back
Top Bottom