Not much, but at least I'm hunting

Seven

Forum Supporter
Just wanted to post the slim pickings I have found over the past few hunts. Been very cold here and ground frozen more than usual for southern Kentucky. Haven't hunted much; mainly in the woods. Here are the finds: a few small round balls, some buckles, square nails, horse tack, some head stamps and odds and ends. Nothing great. Got permission on a new location for later in the week when the weather breaks. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 291
It definitely has been cold, Glad to see you could get out and make some finds. Hoping this weekend I don't have to work and I can get out in the woods somewhere and find something.
Bill

What do you mean, not much? Looks good to me!

Yeah guess I'm spoiled... if I don't find a Minnie ball or an Eagle button I don't really count it as successful. But we've about cleaned this spot out of those items. We are just going back through picking up the leftovers. But it's close to house and protected from the north wind so it beats watching TV. Good luck on your hunts.

It definitely has been cold, Glad to see you could get out and make some finds. Hoping this weekend I don't have to work and I can get out in the woods somewhere and find something.
Bill

Yeah I hope you can get out as well. Our weather is suppose to get back in the 50s by Friday. Might give our new location a shot tomorrow; supposed to be 39. Good luck buddy!

Looks good to me too!

I get a kick out of digging those iron horse tack buckles. Anytime you can pull relics out of the ground in mid Jan is awesome.

NOT AT ALL ! ! ! ! ! lol...too frozen out this way. Battling a cold / flu. Broken machines out of the box, broken coils, etc. :mad::mad::mad: I'm batting 1000

Yeah I read about all your bad luck with machines. That sucks! One thing is for sure, though, better days are coming! Best of luck when everything gets back to normal.

I get a kick out of digging those iron horse tack buckles. Anytime you can pull relics out of the ground in mid Jan is awesome.

Yeah I know we are lucky down here on the KY-TN border. Last year I hunted a spot on a bitter cold day and had to use a hammer and chisel to retrieve targets and then thaw them out at home to see what I had on most of them. Made me realize what the northern guys go through almost all winter. We have a few bad days, but for the most part, winter is our hunting time. Good luck man!

Heh Seven...

Buddy, I know I promised you I would get you those leads to camps in your area...haven't forgot you at all. I actually went back to that library and it took me two hours to find the book and they wouldnt let me check it out since it is rare and their only copy. I only had about 30 minutes to thumb through and jot down a few camp references...there are a ton in there. I will get back over there and spend a good amount of time going through it. Many of the references were to camps located at Cumberland river crossings. But other were at creeks over there. Mostly cavalry

Buddy, I know I promised you I would get you those leads to camps in your area...haven't forgot you at all. I actually went back to that library and it took me two hours to find the book and they wouldnt let me check it out since it is rare and their only copy. I only had about 30 minutes to thumb through and jot down a few camp references...there are a ton in there. I will get back over there and spend a good amount of time going through it. Many of the references were to camps located at Cumberland river crossings. But other were at creeks over there. Mostly cavalry

Yeah the new site we are going to hit this weekend is one of the Cumberland River crossings. We actually have a number of documented crossings in our area but it's been slow getting permission. Excited to see what we find at this first one. Lot of history at this site. It was also a steamboat landing for years. I'll keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom