Found my 1st war relic, think its a "Great Seal" button - SCOVILL MF'GCO WATERBURY

sluicelee

I was able to hunt a 1890s farmhouse property in south GA last week and had some nice finds, including my first war relic. I wanted to share my best find with you guys. I think its a "Great Seal" button (1902 - Present), but not 100% sure. The old field I found it in was really sandy and most of the finds were in nice shape. At first sight I couldn't believe I found it, but I knew it was something good:D
I appreciate any info on the button and thanks for looking.

warbface_zpsc744a317.jpg

warbback_zps1e43713e.jpg

Looks right to me, nice find!

After 1902 for sure ..I'm thinking WWI period, but all my ref material is CW period so that's just my guess based on the backmark.

Last edited:
I think DSM is very close. I can find your back mark but, in this case, he doesn't give the exact date. Most of the ones that look black like yours are generally after WWI but before WWII. But great seal is correct.

Well it is a military button for sure, BUT fortunately a whole lot of people were in the military but never during a war. So in all actuality you have no idea if the wearer of this button ever saw combat or was in a wartime situation.

But I can say that for sure, you found a military button.

Back
Top Bottom