I Bought Silver With My Dug Clad

diggin4clad

Elite Member
With the recent snow storm and frigid weather coming in this week, I've decided that the hunt season is over. That being said, I took the money I got from cashing in my clad finds and went to a coin show to spend it on 90% silver coins. In addition to that I used other money to buy a 1906 gold Sovereign.

Attachments

• DSCN2113.jpg
    DSCN2113.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN2114.jpg
    DSCN2114.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCN2115.jpg
    DSCN2115.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 417
I do much the same with all the clad I pull out of the beach every year with the exception of the coin show. I usually purchase silver rounds which are 0.9999 silver. Something I can pass along to the kids when I get to old.

My favorites are the Silver Canadien maple leafs and the U.S. Silver Eagles.

Love that Gold soverign!

Attachments

• silver round.jpg
    silver round.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 429
How COOL is that! Way to go D4C! You too Numil! Its a lot of fun to do this kind of thing! We have our Numismatic Club Christmas Party this week..theres a few Friendly Forum Members here that will be attending...

Most Numistmatists in our Club do not detect, but they sure know everything about coins and tokens and history and whatnot...Its been a riot for us to show off our finds and do some trading..We learn a lot and they are entertained by our antics and stories from the field...

Its a natural fit for a Detectorist to go to a coin show or attend a Local Coin Collectors Club....Years upon years of knowledge there, more than we could ever learn on our own...Everything from buttons to brashers!.. Plus, you get to see wondrous things and create a bucketlist for hunting..and of course, converting all that stinky cladl!:laughing: Thats a beautiful shot there D4C...You did good..!:friends:

Attachments

• coin group1.jpg
    coin group1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 380
  • gold coin.jpg
    gold coin.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Can't beat silver/gold ...I do the same also to a smaller degree.. hh

ps same with my coin club no one detects with any enthusiasm. Some of the old timers detected, probably when silver was common.

Great idea! That sovereign is a beaut!

Hoping that Santa brings me the tumbler I asked for......lol

Have a year and a half worth of clan to clean up and cash in.

Nice on the Silver's, way to spend that clad.. I have a feeling of where that sign is from your avatar.. Bolton area??

Great Job!

Our Racine Numismatic Society (80+ years strong) meets Thursday and rumor has it, all members will be given a very unique coin (not silver:shock:)...

How COOL is that! Way to go D4C! You too Numil! Its a lot of fun to do this kind of thing! We have our Numismatic Club Christmas Party this week..theres a few Friendly Forum Members here that will be attending...

Most Numistmatists in our Club do not detect, but they sure know everything about coins and tokens and history and whatnot...Its been a riot for us to show off our finds and do some trading..We learn a lot and they are entertained by our antics and stories from the field...

Its a natural fit for a Detectorist to go to a coin show or attend a Local Coin Collectors Club....Years upon years of knowledge there, more than we could ever learn on our own...Everything from buttons to brashers!.. Plus, you get to see wondrous things and create a bucketlist for hunting..and of course, converting all that stinky cladl!:laughing: Thats a beautiful shot there D4C...You did good..!:friends:
You're correct that it's good for a detectorist to attend a coin show or coin club meeting. I'm both a detectorist and a coin collector. Last October I made a display and gave a talk to the club about metal detecting. I exhibited some of my finds for the members to see. Eastern & Western Treasures magazine was kind enough to donate magazines to pass out. After the presentation there was a question and answer period and the questions were coming left and right. I don't know if I converted anyone but MAYBE. And......I was given a Walking Liberty Half Dollar for making the presentation.

Attachments

• DSCN1381.jpg
    DSCN1381.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 328
That's an awesome haul there! How long would you detect to pull all that silver?! I use my clad to add to the U.S. coin type collection I've been building for my daughters. I try to get coins graded AU or better. It's a great way to appreciate my clad and my kids have a nice overview of beautiful American coinage .

I do much the same with all the clad I pull out of the beach every year with the exception of the coin show. I usually purchase silver rounds which are 0.9999 silver. Something I can pass along to the kids when I get to old.

My favorites are the Silver Canadien maple leafs and the U.S. Silver Eagles.

Love that Gold soverign!
Thanks for the reply. I've got some Eagles and maples too.

Thanks...

Very good, I like!
Thanks...

Can't beat silver/gold ...I do the same also to a smaller degree.. hh

ps same with my coin club no one detects with any enthusiasm. Some of the old timers detected, probably when silver was common.
In our coin club there are 4-5 members who both collect and detect

Great idea! That sovereign is a beaut!

Hoping that Santa brings me the tumbler I asked for......lol

Have a year and a half worth of clan to clean up and cash in.
Thanks....love the gold !

Nice on the Silver's, way to spend that clad.. I have a feeling of where that sign is from your avatar.. Bolton area??
Thanks for the reply

Wow excellent purchases, congrats!
It's a lot better looking than clad.....

Great Job!

Our Racine Numismatic Society (80+ years strong) meets Thursday and rumor has it, all members will be given a very unique coin (not silver:shock:)...
Thanks...our club (Mansfield numismatic Society) was formed in 1972 and I'm a charter member

That's an awesome haul there! How long would you detect to pull all that silver?! I use my clad to add to the U.S. coin type collection I've been building for my daughters. I try to get coins graded AU or better. It's a great way to appreciate my clad and my kids have a nice overview of beautiful American coinage .
Using the dug clad to build any type of coin collection is a good idea in my opinion

That is an excellent way to spend that clad.
Thanks

Nicely done! Do you re-sell the coins later, or do you just collect them?
don't sell them but if the market changed to make it very profitable I "might" change my mind

I save every coin I found in a plastic jar and right now to keep doing that. When my better half gives me a hard time I bring it out and let her feel how heavy it is and she gets quiet, BUT major question I have is how do I know if I got silver ?

Merry And happy MD New Year !

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I save every coin I found in a plastic jar and right now to keep doing that. When my better half gives me a hard time I bring it out and let her feel how heavy it is and she gets quiet, BUT major question I have is how do I know if I got silver ?

Merry And happy MD New Year !

The only way to be totally sure is check the dates. Any dime, quarter, or half dated 1964 or before is 90% silver. Halves dated 1965-1970 are 40% silver, and nickels from 1942-45 with a large mint mark on the reverse are 35% silver.

The only way to be totally sure is check the dates. Any dime, quarter, or half dated 1964 or before is 90% silver. Halves dated 1965-1970 are 40% silver, and nickels from 1942-45 with a large mint mark on the reverse are 35% silver.
Thank You !

Back
Top Bottom