Hunted the county fair grounds in another county

Webekin

Me and another couple, teamed up to hunt a county fair grounds this afternoon. John likes to do the research with arial maps, and drawings so we were prepared to decide where to hunt and Temps were in the mid 40's, and we had wind to 15 MPH. I started off slowly again, while they did well on pennies and a quarter quickly. My first penny was a 1918P, the back was nice and clean while the front was black and difficult to read, had to do some cleaning to read the date. Had 3 quarters , 4 dimes and another 9 LMC. John and Evie had 4 quarters and some dimes and a lot of LMC. We hunted in the pecan grove, which contained the horse shoe pitching area and a tot lot with a lot of electrical out lets around the outer edge. For me the outer edge produced the most loot. There are 2 baseball fields I want to hunt around, the area that the carnival sets up in every year should produce coins. Recommend finding someone to hunt with, it is fun. Living the dream, Webekin

Sounds like you guys had fun, and that's the key, some great finds and friends,

Well done Web! Fairs can be feast or famine,some give coins,others hand you your ass on a plate. I’ve had both and found out something else...that’s a BIG plate!:lol:
Good luck in your ventures,hunting with friends is always ALOT more fun.

your ass on a plate.

I've always wondered where this saying originated? I understand the meaning as an 'event of acute embarrassment or discomfort'...Allow me a minor thread hijack to regale you with mine...

A few years back, the Wife instructed me to climb up onto the house and clean off the plate glass skylights over the cathedral ceilings in the living room...Now, this roof has a 7 1/2 pitch, with a 30' drop into certain death, but I bravely and dutifully complied....Extension ladder, a roll of paper towels, and a can of Windex, up there I cautiously scampered.....

She stood down in the living room looking up through the glass and giving me hand signals as to the locations that were not satisfactorally cleaned to her high standards...and I would attempt to perform said pointings....Well, as you can imagine, after about 15 minutes of this, me risking my Life up on a death roof, and her safely in the living room pointing out my missings....I had just about enough...

It was about then her ancient Mother came tottering out of her bedroom and employed herself in the cleaning observation in a Senior managerial function.......I was not aware of her prescience since I had stood up and dropped trow and proceeded to perform a 'Pressed Ham with Fruit Basket' upon the skylight! Not just a quick flash and go either...I sat there and lit a smoke and wiggled around enjoying the treetop neighborhood view, while My Wife and her Mother were below looking up!....

Well, I certainly handed them both my @ss on a plate that day! She came roaring out on the back deck just freaking apoplectic! She did not get the humor or appreciate the irony!...after I dodged a few shots from her .38 by hiding behind the chimney, when she was reloading, with her Mother handing her shells and calling out windage,, I briskly slid down the chimney and bravely ran off into the woods!...

When things settled down, I did have to go back up there and eventually mop off the skylight imprint.....Like you said, it was pretty huge...there was a brown streak going right down the chimney too, but I left it there......Creosote I imagine... :laughing:

(true story)

Last edited:
I've always wondered where this saying originated? I understand the meaning as an 'event of acute embarrassment or discomfort'...Allow me a minor thread hijack to regale you with mine...

A few years back, the Wife instructed me to climb up onto the house and clean off the plate glass skylights over the cathedral ceilings in the living room...Now, this roof has a 7 1/2 pitch, with a 30' drop into certain death, but I bravely and dutifully complied....Extension ladder, a roll of paper towels, and a can of Windex, up there I cautiously scampered.....

She stood down in the living room looking up through the glass and giving me hand signals as to the locations that were not satisfactorally cleaned to her high standards...and I would attempt to perform said pointings....Well, as you can imagine, after about 15 minutes of this, me risking my Life up on a death roof, and her safely in the living room pointing out my missings....I had just about enough...

It was about then her ancient Mother came tottering out of her bedroom and employed herself in the cleaning observation in a Senior managerial function.......I was not aware of her prescience since I had stood up and dropped trow and proceeded to perform a 'Pressed Ham with Fruit Basket' upon the skylight! Not just a quick flash and go either...I sat there and lit a smoke and wiggled around enjoying the treetop neighborhood view, while My Wife and her Mother were below looking up!....

Well, I certainly handed them both my @ss on a plate that day! She came roaring out on the back deck just freaking apoplectic! She did not get the humor or appreciate the irony!...after I dodged a few shots from her .38 by hiding behind the chimney, when she was reloading, with her Mother handing her shells and calling out windage,, I briskly slid down the chimney and bravely ran off into the woods!...

When things settled down, I did have to go back up there and eventually mop off the skylight imprint.....Like you said, it was pretty huge...there was a brown streak going right down the chimney too, but I left it there......Creosote I imagine... :laughing:

(true story)

Why am I not your neighbor??:lol: “Ancient” MiL...shots whizzing off the chimney...getting ball scrape on the bricks on the way down...it’d almost be like living next to the Bundys!:lol::lol::lol:

(true story)

Sounds like a story for "Readers Digest" Mud, send it in, if they publish it they'll pay you $100 ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

https://www.rd.com/100-word-stories-submissions/

.......maybe include a gnome figure graphic ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
roofwindowsm.jpg

Nice hunt W. You know I'm not a clad hunter, but if quarters get in the way they are fair game. Clear the clad out of there and the oldies give up their hiding spots. Good luck!

That was a fun hunt. Thanks for inviting us to join you. Looking forward to doing it again.
I spent an hour or so at our local fair grounds yesterday. Did pretty well. Ten quarters four or five dimes. Not bad for a short hunt.

The large oil refinery began producing in December 1905 and closed in the 1920's. It employed hundreds of workers for quite some time.
We need to get permission to hunt the site.

Back
Top Bottom