Remember my big Yellow Diamond Ring?

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Well, I took it in for an appraisal today, and the jeweler oohed and awed, appropriately, which was nice. LOL

But then we got to talking about the stone and ring. All is confirmed real, of course (But we already knew that, didn't we?), but the center stone certainly "Looks" bigger than it actually is. She took the ring and said, "wow, that's clearly almost a full carat." I told her I measured it out at 5.0mm and that would make it right at .75. She said, really? And pulled out her calipers. Sure enough, it was 5.00mm exactly... but only on ONE SIDE. The other side is 4.88. At that point my heart sunk...

So... She was as fooled as I was on the stone size at first glance (which makes me feel good about the mistake), but to find out it's not a full square, that really bums me out. means it'll probably come in around .60 or .62 carats. it doesn't take much on an edge to reduce mass. and that's if it's full depth, which she'll check, of course, with the appraisal.

My guess of M or N color on the stone was accurate, she lined it up with a few other stones, and said immediately "M or N" for sure. I told her about the inclusion fracture that was in the center of the table, and she pulled it over to the loupe. As expected, because it wasn't visible to the naked eye, but in the table center, it made it an SI2 graded diamond. Nailed that one.

So... Aside from not having calipers that could measure that finely (mine is a plastic thing from harbor freight!), all else was as expected.

Once she knew I knew my stuff somewhat, she asked, "what do you think you'll get for it."

I said, "$700."

She looked bowled over. She said, "actually, yeah, that's right on. Wow... like really... wow. A lot of people don't know how to value that. How did you come up with that?"

So I told her. 5.5 to 6.0 grams of 14K gold doubled in value because of the fine detail, plus the value of the diamond and roughly $5 per set stone (33 of them), plus the cost of the diamond. I didn't do the math for her, but it's $230+ $165 + $300. She laughed and said that was pretty darn good for an estimate of sales! She then explained it would very much appraise at far beyond that. I told her I expected it would appraise between $2500 and $3800, but was unsure. She said, it'd probably clear $2500, but she'd have to inspect the rest of it to know more.

I pick up the ring tomorrow, but it's good to know I wasn't too far off. I offered her the ring, but she said she only offers scrap for rings at the store, but believed she could get $1200 for it as a retailer, and again said, she didn't think I'd have any problem getting what I wanted to out of it on eBay. Especially with the detail...

Excellent... yes... Eggs sell ent. I'll be tickled to get whatever out of it, but hope, of course, that someone sees it and it reminds them of their grandmother, and bids it up to a million dollars, and then pays it promptly. Because hey, it's my daydream.

EDIT: After months of hoping for a buyer, I turned it into the Refinery. Got $450 for the ring, including the diamond bid. As with virtually EVERY ring I've sold, this is about 15% of retail value. Figures. Shouldn't have wasted time with an appraisal. Next time I'll just sell for what I think is about 15%. LOL

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
I had been following your previous post on it. Thanks for letting us know. I'm always interested in the value of finds. Let us know what you end up doing with it.

I had been following your previous post on it. Thanks for letting us know. I'm always interested in the value of finds. Let us know what you end up doing with it.

I'll post a picture of the appraisal tomorrow. That way, people can know for realz that it wasn't a fake. *Cracks up*

What a great find and a beautiful ring. I bet someone was heartbroken to have lost it.

don't worry, I balanced it out with the joy of finding it. :)

Seriously, though. I did due diligence, and checked with the city for a lost notification. None was called in, and since it was underground, the city allows me to keep.

Cheers,

Skippy

don't worry, I balanced it out with the joy of finding it. :)

Seriously, though. I did due diligence, and checked with the city for a lost notification. None was called in, and since it was underground, the city allows me to keep.

Cheers,

Skippy

From the looks of it, it's pretty old too. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't lost decades ago.

From the looks of it, it's pretty old too. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't lost decades ago.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. LOL The park is less than 5 years old, and it was less than an inch under the grass, still at the root/dirt line.

But, I agree, looks old!

Years ago I dabbled in the jewelry business... didn't pan out. I used to buy settings from a New York company called Adware Casting Company that made settings just like that.

Years ago I dabbled in the jewelry business... didn't pan out. I used to buy settings from a New York company called Adware Casting Company that made settings just like that.

There's actually quite a few companies using similar molds (I've now since done quite a bit of research on this). Tacori is one of them. I actually suspect this might even be a Tacori ring, but the style is a few years off their current listings, so it's hard to find images out there... not all of their rings are "Tacori" stamped... which makes it a possibility.

regardless, it's been a fun find! Thanks for the extra info!

Skippy

Final value = $450

I got $450 for the ring.

After months of hoping for a buyer, I turned it into the Refinery. Got $450 for the ring, including the diamond bid. As with virtually EVERY ring I've sold, this is about 15% of retail value. Figures. Shouldn't have wasted time with an appraisal. Next time I'll just sell for what I think is about 15%. LOL

My wife would have broken my arm for that one. She has most of MY good rings I have found.
That ring is a knock out. I bet your heart was pounding hard when you popped that out of the ground.
Great job and story.

KEN :D

My wife would have broken my arm for that one. She has most of MY good rings I have found.

Great job and story.

I always offer them to my wife. She's only ever liked one. And it was a silver one. Not much into jewelry.

That ring is a knock out. I bet your heart was pounding hard when you popped that out of the ground.
Great job and story.

Thanks, but actually, quite the opposite on when my heart pounds. It took a while for it to sink in. My very best finds just "don't compute" with my head. I find them, SWEAR they're costume jewelry, and then slowly build up to the realization that maybe it's not!

Part of that reason is the number of rings I find. As of yesterday, for example, I'm at 106 rings for the year. of those, 7 have been gold, and 19 have been silver. That means 3/4 of all the rings I find are junk. So... as a general rule, I don't get excited, until there's a reason to get excited.

In fact, on my last double gold day this year, I didn't really REALLY get excited until the drive home, when I realized the 5 hour hunt netted about $500 in gold. It was an AWESOME feeling. But it was a full 3 hours after the first ring, and 90 minutes after the second.

On this one, for example, I pulled it up out of a heavy EMI field (literally right next to a huge green transformer box), and I'd been pulling garbage out pretty regularly. The sounds were so all over the place, I didn't have a clue whether it would have been a "solid" signal or not (I was just digging to clear the area). So, when this thing popped out of the dirt, I simply laughed a bit, and though, "well, there's a big junker." Then started to wipe it down... Then I got more suspicious when the ring's main stone wasn't crystal clear. That's highly unusual for a main stone on a junk ring to look less than "perfect." The yellowish color was the first indication.

Then wiping the inside, I could barely make out a worn 14K. Which was the SECOND indication (markings are good, but worn markings are better, in my opinion).

Then I got it clean enough to fog test it on the spot, and it didn't hold condensation. THEN ..... and it really wasn't until that point, THEN I got excited. All grins, big smiles... I swung for about 5 more minutes, just to clear the little area, then I left to go back to work with the ring in my front pocket.

Got to work, cleared the stone under the bathroom faucet, and felt the true density of the metal, and at that point I knew I had a winner. :)

Was a lot like that for the first really really nice ring I found, too. I pulled it out SWORE it was costume, and didn't even bother to clean it up. Just put it into my pouch and kept swinging. Got to the end of the row, and showed my son, who said, "Dad, clean it up a bit." So I blew out the dirt, and at that point, all the diamonds showed up... I was still new to the hobby, then, and didn't know 585 was 14K... but I saw the number and looked it up on my phone right there... I could have WET myself. (fortunately, my bladder wasn't full). My son and I went straight from the park to Fred Meyer Jewelers, who we had clean up the ring, and they confirmed everyone of the 81 stones were real. I was completely floored.

Both of them were fantastic experiences... and both will be remembered for as long as I live, and can remember them. The first was better, though, by a long shot, because it was shared with someone I love.

Can't beat that. :)

Skippy

May be worth less than you initially thought, but dang... that's a nice ring. I've only found one wedding ring. I thought it was costume jewelry when I first dug it up. Guess I've conditioned myself not to get excited. Was pleasantly surprised to learn it was worth $300 and probably purchased for around $500-650 new. If I found a ring like yours- worth thousands- I'd be on Cloud Nine! I have absolutely no idea how much my silver rings are worth.

Back
Top Bottom