• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help identifying possible civil war...

westers

The new Tapatalk app throws me... I need to move this post, but not sure how. Tried to delete, too. Will try to move/delete from computer when I'm online again.

Found this today in a civil war area. It has been hunted heavily through the years. This was very deep. Any ideas?

Looks like brass wrapped in lead then rusted metal. It's about 2 inches long.

Thanks for any and all ideas.
bc21cea1eea714004058ed0c17b4da92.jpg
f4d94f0c5d73b1f4d37c916c7da5c563.jpg
5db2df0ce56fad2dd053c0991c530ef4.jpg
36cd70b146b021a027001ab3bfd948c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like something I found once! It was an Enfield that someone had drilled a large flathead screw in. It was rusted pretty good. I found it beside a creek, near Missionary Ridge, here in Tennessee.

Evidently someone used the Enfield to make a fishing sinker.

Don't think that is CW for a couple of reasons ....
1) Too long to be a pistol bullet
2) Too small a caliber to be a rifle bullet
3) Base w/taper would be in much worse state of rust if made from iron of that era.
The thing about this hobby is you get to become an expert at so many things without even trying to be!!

Thanks, Zeemang. I'll look it up.

JBKelly, you're right! I've learned tons about odd little pieces of things I never knew existed before grubbing around in the dirt.

Thanks, both for the replies.

Don't think that is CW for a couple of reasons ....

1) Too long to be a pistol bullet

2) Too small a caliber to be a rifle bullet

3) Base w/taper would be in much worse state of rust if made from iron of that era.

The thing about this hobby is you get to become an expert at so many things without even trying to be!!

The lead part has the same patina as bullets develop after being in the ground for a long time. I don't know that it's CW, but here's a pic of what I found all around it. I think it's a reasonable assumption until I have a positive ID.

22d21edeceddb06905b69dd699e6e517.jpg

Just a guess here, but maybe a jumping off point for more research. Possible the end of a ramrod? Iron rod, brass tip. could be the connection broke and the soldier tired to use a lead bullet to repair it? Just throwing out some ideas.

Groats, that's similar to what a knowledgeable buddy of mine said, too. I'll add that to my research list. Thanks!

My guess is also a cement anchor. You drill a hole in the cement, push the brass piece in first and tighten a screw on the other end to pull the brass piece out enough to expand the lead and anchor whatever you are securing.

Like some of the ones on this page.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vin...A&ved=0CB0QsAQ#tbm=isch&q=lead+cement+anchors

HOWEVER, I have never seen a brass one so it is absolutely possible this guess is not what it is, but it could also be an early example of one.

At this site, anything is possible. The lot has seen constant use from colonial times through about 2003.

It came from about 12-13 inches deep, but I know the lot has been turned a couple times with a bottom plow, so I don't think depth would be an applicable variable in this case.

Looks like a concrete anchor cut off with a torch. That looks like slag on the end where it was cut off.

Back
Top Bottom