Is it worth the money?

You pay for what ya get. Go cheap, expect cheap. Spend a little money and invest in a good product with great customer service and that's what you get. A $12 watch tells the same time a $5000 Rolex does, but I don't hear many people talk about replacing their Rolex every few months.

I used the clad that I had found to purchase my Garrett pin pointer, so technically it was free to me. So to answer your original question, yes, it was worth it :D

Howdy... Silver hawk... The 580 sounds great. Nice write up as well... As pretty much a night hunter... Can you tell me if it has a light with it? That would make it pretty much perfect for someone like me... I only use the pro pointer light and no other. Thanks again for the info.

Ron

Greetings Ron,

No, it does not have an onboard light. Some of the guys used hose clams to mount a small LED Flash Light to the handle and it worked out pretty well, but soon they all fallowed my lead and bought a good quality headlamp. The performance is so much better then the tiny 5mm RL5-W18030 LED in the Garrett Probe that puts out roughly 7 lumes.

A Princeton Tec EOS 3xAAA LED Headlamp blast out 70 lumens and has three power setting and has fabulous runtime per set of 3 AAA Batteries. it sells for about $30 on eBay or Night Gear.com: http://www.night-gear.com/headlamps/

The Princeton Tec Apex is a 4 AA LED Headlamp and it's a beast of a light that I'm been using for night-time wildlife research as well as metal detecting and other night time activities. It puts out over 200 lumens on high and is the best all-around headlamp on the market in my opinion. But they sell for about $80.

And there are other headlamp options that will give you much better lighting results... tuning night into day while searching in your hole for your find.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Silver Hawk, thats a great idea. I may very well make that 580 my next toy to add. Bought a used Tiny Tec from one of the forum members, will use it mostly for when I have a guest hunting with me... the 580 sure sounds good, may add it to the herd as well.

Thanks again.

Ron

Considering in this hobby in one year you could dig as many as 20,000 holes, that's like a rabbit with ADHD.

Compare digging 20,000 holes and the finds you'll get and then digging 10,000 holes ann the finds you'll get.

The GPP makes retrieving those finds that quick that you'll get what could be twice the holes done to have twice the chances to find good stuff.

Its that simple...and the gpp is like getting a top of the line detector as far as pinpointing goes..yes its going to cost you and we'd all prefer it cost half the price but at the end of the day it sure beats the clump of soil passing over the coil again and again any day.

Its one expense many on here have worried about and thought about again and again and yet when they get it and see what it can do have not questioned it again.

I have hunted with someone who had a cheap pinpointer and kept asking for mine to borrow..the gpp does make others look inferior...I cant recommend it enough...your back will thank you and your finds stash will grow so much quicker

The propointer was too junky built for me.I got rid of it and went with the pistol probe.Since Garrett seems to be replacing these broke units all the time with apparent no questions asked,i may buy another propointer for a backup in case my pistolprobe goes down.Two years and still going strong.Some propointers break the first outing.I don't think the quality improved at all.In fact i think it declined.

this here. Them cheap PP's can't even compare to the Garrett

I use a Bounty Hunter PP. Still got it after 4 years. Works like a charm and only cost me 46.00. Had to apply some epoxy on the end because I used it so much I wore through the plastic. It has found everything in the hole, it's an invaluable tool. I can't see why a Garret is better, because it has a light on it? The more people use one type of unit, the more I stay away from it. Mostly because it's a fashion show more than anything about performance. "Oh you use a Garret, you're a pro!" "Oh, you use a Brand X PP, well when you get a real job, you can move up to a Garret and be one of the cool kids".

The one feature I love about the BH is that long tapering probe tip. If the soil is loose or wet and muddy, you just push it into the ground! Now you can dig a smaller plug. You've located it!. Even when PP with your detector, it's still a guess exactly where it is. You just know it's in that 4"-6" circle somewhere. The only bad thing about the BH I have noticed is the sensitivity knob needs to be readjusted often. For that kind of money, if that's the only problem. I'm a BH PP fan for life.

If you think the Garrett is better because it costs more, then you definitely need the treasure searching plum-bob! They're expensive so they must work!

Back
Top Bottom