Equinox coin spill issue

CarsonChris

Elite Member
For all the equinox users if you have a coin spill with a nickel and a quarter and they are close together the equinox can read it as garbage. With bouncing numbers even going into the negative. Doing the waggle starting over the quarter and working over the nickel the numbers can be thrown way off from low twenties to mid teens. Check the junk signals especially if you find a high conductor a little further away.

I don't dig by numbers, so I'm interested in how does this differs from other detectors?

For all the equinox users if you have a coin spill with a nickel and a quarter and they are close together the equinox can read it as garbage. With bouncing numbers even going into the negative. Doing the waggle starting over the quarter and working over the nickel the numbers can be thrown way off from low twenties to mid teens. Check the junk signals especially if you find a high conductor a little further away.

Theres lots of missed coin stacks waiting out there that have seen a coil overhead a time or two...try it with a handful of clad on your machine...do some stacks and slants and tight spills to get an idea...a $5 gold coin on top of a seated half will sound like junk...a buff nickel on top of a SLQ is a junk signal...about nobody would dig because it scrambles the brains of about any rig...Single coins all alone are no brainers, its the pocket spills where the money is though!

So, considering tight spills and slanted stack pocketspills..Our rigs were just NOT designed to find them!...But there is HOPE!...

You quickly get the idea that a guy has to not base a dig decision on the TIDS!....A guy can hunt and find tight spills by AUDIO evaluating the Size and Depth and Profile of the target and what the surrounding junk is saying about how old the dirt is and what can be expected at certain levels..plus certain features of topography promote pocketspills...trees and hillsides etc...

Proportional audio is very helpful so a guy knows the depth audibly and dont have to look at the screen...This is one of the reasons I went back to the F70 after trying out the NOX for a season....It had no real advantage in these tight spill situations for me...

Not saying you cant do it with the NOX, just saying..I couldnt do it as fast and accurately as I could with the single freak 70 features and benefits....Theres Money in the spills and multidenom slanted stacks!! Claddies know this! :laughing:.

Imagine..getting coil over a tight pocketspill of 5 silver dollars with a harmonica, a jacknife, and a Gold Double Eagle on top!! What a confusing signal! A guy would look at the screen and ..think, "hell, that aint nothing! And then go back to sniping this area thats full of Indian pennies and V nickels! :laughing:

Attachments

• STACK.jpg
    STACK.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 359
  • nov 4-18-3.jpg
    nov 4-18-3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 339
  • oct 15-17 stack.jpg
    oct 15-17 stack.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 340
I assume there is no machine that can differentiate between two coins if they are so close to one another the machine can't recover fast enough to separate them. In that case if they are similar size the lower conductor will pull the higher one down some. I dug a Wheat and a Barber dime out of the same hole not long ago. As I swung I was getting dime numbers sporadically along with penny numbers. When I dug I thought that Wheat sure was ringing high. I re-scanned and got soild 26-27 and found the Barber. The edge of the coil depending on direction was hitting the dime barely one way and then penny from the other direction, but were close enough I could not hear two beeps.

A lot of times if the beep makes you stop and investigate as you circle sometimes you can pick out the different targets as you hit from different directions. Otherwise it's like a average of numbers. Also I think the deeper targets are the less separation you get.

I think the equinox does a little better on stacked coins. Two inches apart is where the nickel and quarter cancel each other out. Stacked coins still sound good to me. Two inches apart sounds and acts like garbage.

I think the equinox does a little better on stacked coins. Two inches apart is where the nickel and quarter cancel each other out. Stacked coins still sound good to me. Two inches apart sounds and acts like garbage.

Check out this video I did sometime ago. Definitely relatable to this thread.
Video comparing Equinox 800, Etrac and Anfibio.
Notice the single freq 5 kHz behavior on EQX.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EewdOH7wy20&t=216s

Hint.
If I were looking around modern concession stands/bleachers looking for higher conductive coins and possible lost silver rings - I would use 5 kHz not multi freq majority of time.

That was a very effective demonstration of using the 5khz on the NOX.
I have used this on a VERY trashy area of an old golf course i hunt.
Tom.

The AT Pro will average out the Target Numbers on a close spill. Silver Dime at 84 and Jeffy Nickel at 52 will give a nice solid 68 on the readout.

If I were looking around modern concession stands/bleachers looking for higher conductive coins and possible lost silver rings - I would use 5 kHz not multi freq majority of time.

That's an interesting demonstration. I have just the perfect spot to test this out sometime in the next week. I'll follow up.

Recently found a coin spill that contained mercs, indians, wheats , steel pennies and a war nickel. ID was 30 ish and tone was awesome. But when i went to pinpoint it was so huge i almost did not dig. I thought it might be a couple of aluminum cans or old pie plate. Could also raise the coil high and it was still there. Just glad i decided to dig! This was with the NOX 800.

Back
Top Bottom