"Excuse Me Sir....Are Those Used To Shock Fish In The Water?" Asked The Fish And Wildlife Officer

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
ahha.jpg

Three of us headed out this morning for a water hunt. As you can see in the above pic, we were prepared for any misfortunes such as leaky coils, dead batteries, electrical malfunction......anything Murphy's law might bestow upon us. Fortunately, all went flawlessly and we had a great day until thunder & lightning started, at which point we called it quits.

At one point, I left the freshwater lake for a bodily function break, and when I returned to the water, I was stopped by a Fish and Wildlife Officer, who had been watching us from his cruiser, and thought perhaps we were shocking fish with our equipment :lol2:. I broke out laughing at what he said, and after I did some explaining, he too had a good laugh. Seems he was from the east coast, and had never seen one of these metal detectors before, and seeing the 3 of us in the water on a cool day 18 C /56 F got his curiosity.

One of us got three rings...(not I) and the other two got zero rings. Below is my take for the day. Not bad, since the ice had just recently meted, and nobody has been in the water yet this year. :)

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 542
if you ever see or get a chance to use a fish "shocker" you will understand the officers confusion. they look almost exactly like a metal detector. as long as you are wearing rubber boots you can shock fish in the water that you are standing in. wildlife biologist use shockers to stun fish so the can record populations and other info. poachers also use them, i heard about a group of guys that were shocking trout and selling them to restaurants. it's insanely effective you can pretty much clean out a stream of fish in no time.

Cute story. Glad the officer had a good sense of humor.

Good change haul. But, two of those bottle caps look pretty new. Are you sure they weren't from the hunts after glow?:laughing:

You should have said "Na, we use dynamite to bring the fish to the surface.":lol:

Back
Top Bottom