The Coin Hustler !

bodkin

Elite Member
Hello all.

The following metal detector was brought out of a shed today to show, when I went to collect someone. Looks old and with just one dial and a headphone socket but is as light as a feather! The dial was turned and it works! Anyone ever seen or used one?

Attachments

• rsz_dscf4435.jpg
    rsz_dscf4435.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,493
  • rsz_dscf4436.jpg
    rsz_dscf4436.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,850
  • rsz_dscf4437.jpg
    rsz_dscf4437.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,708
  • rsz_dscf4438.jpg
    rsz_dscf4438.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,514
I remember Compass being big in late 70s. Never used the machine as I was using Garrett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used or saw one, but remember seeing them in many Compass ads in treasure magazines back in the mid to late 1970's. Entry level machine. TR all-metal, no disc, one tone & not much depth, but kind of a cool name....... at least for back then.

Thanks for that guys! Although in working order, I declined the offer a go on it, but the electronics must have been well designed and made to be able to still switch on and go! I thought it was an interesting bit of detecting history - and with it placed next to my ATG, we've come a long way!

My detector back in the 70's was a Whites but I remember the Compass detectors being pretty sought after.

Well yes, sorta. I had a scratchy tuner on mine and thought I could sorta clean it and the parts are still there!:laughing:
I loved mine as a carry anywhere detector and it is the ticket for iron infested sites as the 100 kHz is just enough to knock out iron flakes and find targets masked from some detectors.

I remember in online group with guys with red barons and compass's.

They actually was writing their own mods for the machines. Not sure if your into that or have the time. But definitely would check it out.

Way cool!
The bottom of the line Compass unit at the time, most sold for around $60-$70 or so when new.

A 100kHz T/R machine, not the greatest depth but supposedly pretty decent on shallow targets and coins down to about 6" from owners that used them in decent soil...and some still do.

I have a Judge 2 and ergonomics was not a known science at that time, I am not weak but my arm starts to complain a bit if I swing this thing very long with that U shaped handle but it is still fun to play with.
The hustlers were pretty light comparatively at about 2.5 lbs.
Decent in iron, the higher end units actually had some pretty amazing see-through abilities in that area.
I hope one day to find some gold which is possible using that high frequency.

Here is a complete PDF dealer's catalog from the old days with a price list at the bottom...

http://www.treasurelinx.com/uploads/CO1978Cat.pdf

WOW that thing is in nice shape. Pretty neat to see how far the machines have advanced since then. Thanks for sharing.

Hello all.

The following metal detector was brought out of a shed today to show, when I went to collect someone. Looks old and with just one dial and a headphone socket but is as light as a feather! The dial was turned and it works! Anyone ever seen or used one?

I realize this is a pretty old post, but I just joined today and have that exact same metal detector! No extra bugs and whistles, and it doesn't teleport the coin out of the ground like some of the more expensive ones probably do, but it's still fun!

Compass built a great machine in its time. I had (still have) an XP-Pro model - the best out-of-the-box notch machines ever - as long as you didn't want to find any coins deeper than 6". Put a 12" coil on it and it was a good relic detector, too. I went hunting a certain Civil War battle field with other guys lots of times in the '80s and early '90s - they'd find more deep minie balls, but I did better on eagle buttons. Probably because the big coil covered more ground than their stock coils on their Fisher F-1265 or 1266 (the standard really good relic hunters and deep coin hunters of the time). At the time (as I recall) all of Garrett's machines were to big to spend a day in the rough relic hunting - good for coins, heck on the arm in the rough. But the XP-Pro would smoke any other detector of that era in trashy areas. I found more buffalo nickels and war nickels in well-hunted areas than any one else. It's auto discrimination was the best thing going (the first really good notch, as far as I know). Plus most other detectors as light as it was, which was about limited to Fisher products, did not have any meter at all - all tone. My grandkids get to use it now in the parks and tot-lots. Works like a charm.

I realize this is a pretty old post, but I just joined today and have that exact same metal detector! No extra bugs and whistles, and it doesn't teleport the coin out of the ground like some of the more expensive ones probably do, but it's still fun!

I’m the same. Mine arrived yesterday ready for its first test run in Scotland at the end of the week. I was a little surprised how small the detector is. But you have to start somewhere!!

Back
Top Bottom