Hori Hori came in the mail

shedncoin

Well I always wanted a Hori Hori style garde knife, no particular reason why, just wanted one. Found one I liked from Truly Garden and ordered one. First impressions are good, very hefty and comes with a thick leather sheath. The blade and serrations are very sharp right out of the box. Cant wait to give it a try although it might be a while, we've got a good six to eight inches of frost in the ground already.

Attachments

• 20160108_095523.jpg
    20160108_095523.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 460
I like that hand guard, too, most hori horis don't have that. On the website it's nice to see that the tang goes ALL the way through to the back of the handle, too. Looks very well built.

How thick is the blade and is it a bit curved? Thanks for the post.

I like that hand guard, too, most hori horis don't have that. On the website it's nice to see that the tang goes ALL the way through to the back of the handle, too. Looks very well built.

How thick is the blade and is it a bit curved? Thanks for the post.

The length of the blade is straight, but its curved cross blade. It measures almost exactly 1/8" thick.
On a side note, they look to be a couple dolllars cheaper on Truly Gardens web site($29)vs. Amazon. Only reason I went with Amazon is that I had free shipping so it work out better. They also have a 5 year warranty that when you register it online they give you a code for 25% off another one. My code is good until march of '17.

Attachments

• 20160109_093846.jpg
    20160109_093846.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 20160109_093752.jpg
    20160109_093752.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
The Hori Hori is the only digger I've ever used. Never had a problem with it. I keep it in my pouch rather than on my hip in the scabbard. Don't want to freak out some soccer mom thinking you have a knife.

Thanks for the extra photos and measurements. If I get a hori hori, this'll be the one. Also considering the lesche, which doesn't cost much more. I haven't run into much my cheapie Ames 3-in-1 can't handle, but getting a more durable digger is on my wish list. They say the lesche is great in hard and/or rocky soil, and for prying, but not quite as ergonomic when cutting a plug, or scooping out dirt. The hori hori with it's sharp, curved blade would be the best replacement for the 3-in-1, good for the dirt I usually play in, and way more capable in bad soil, but not to the extent of the lesche. decisions decisions.

Hori-Hori knives cut plugs very fast with the serrated edge.
I use a smaller version, less menacing to folks watching. http://www.treasurelinx.com/digging_tools.html But, will snap if you use it as a prybar. Not as unbreakable as the full size Hori-Hori, I need to get one or two myself.

Attachments

• PC310646.jpg
    PC310646.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 309
I like the version I have with the polymer handle. Will try to remember to post a pic of it when I get home this evening.
I actually snapped a blade on a hori a couple of years ago. Luckily I had a spare digger with me that day as it was only the 3rd or 4th hole when it broke. Turns out it was a defective blade and was replaced by the store with absolutely no questions asked.

Pete

They say the lesche is great in hard and/or rocky soil, and for prying, but not quite as ergonomic when cutting a plug, or scooping out dirt.

My original 3-in-1 knife I have had for over thirty years. Over the years I have modified it so it is more comfortable to use. it is about the same as the current Hori-Hori knife. I have actually pounded it into rock hard clay with a hatchet and stood on it to pry something loose. Try that with a Lesche. In all that time I never once felt like it might break. I have probably worn an inch or two off of the blade in the thirty years I have had it.
KF3.gif

here's a shot of the hori with the polymer handle. i like how they made the case in black leather to match the handle. :D

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG1119.jpg
    IMAG1119.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 274
I purchased one to try since I have never had one with a guard like that before. It's a little longer than my other Hori-Hori's but appears to be just as strong. It's sharp and will fit the sheath that I made for my other diggers.
HHS3.jpg
It's shown with a digger made by a friend of mine but it works with about all of them and doesn't collect dirt.

I like that sheath Silversmith, just be careful with the point of that hori sticking out of it, at least until it dulls some. Mine came extremely sharp, more so than I'll keep it for digging purposes. Curious how it stacks up to your old one, let us know when you get a chance to use it.

I like that sheath Silversmith, just be careful with the point of that hori sticking out of it, at least until it dulls some. Mine came extremely sharp, more so than I'll keep it for digging purposes. Curious how it stacks up to your old one, let us know when you get a chance to use it.

I took it out for a short hunt and it works great. Here is a picture of how I carry it and my Mini T. They are hardly noticeable and I have never had anyone say anything about them. I have carried the digger like that for years without any problems. The digger in the picture is my old 3-in-1 knife that I have used for over thirty years. the Hori-Hori knife is the only thing that I have found close to match it.
MiniT2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom