New detector choices

Diggingnorthnj

Hello everybody I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking into another metal detector for my arsenal. Currently I have a minelab se pro and a garret at pro. The kind of hunting I do is normally old homesites, farms/fields, and in iron infested colonial homesites. My two top choices are a Notka Impact and Eqinox 800, and I know both of these are fantastic detectors just finding a hard time deciding on which would best suit me.

Something people fail to take into consideration......

When a new detector comes out, and people start making finds on those "hunted-out, nothing left, beat to death, pounded, etc" sites, is that people generally slow down, and dig more "iffy" signals (which they'd pass using their previous MD), because they're unfamiliar with their new MD.

When they post their finds (using the above site descriptions), many will assume it's clearly MD voodoo, and not simply passing the coil over the target, and digging more signals.

When a new detector comes out, and people start making finds on those "hunted-out, nothing left, beat to death, pounded, etc" sites, is that people generally slow down, and dig more "iffy" signals (which they'd pass using their previous MD), because they're unfamiliar with their new MD.

When they post their finds (using the above site descriptions), many will assume it's clearly MD voodoo, and not simply passing the coil over the target, and digging more signals.

Well put.

My choice between the Impact or Equinox I would choose the Equinox.
For hunting where you list, myself I would NOT use the Impact too much like the Racer 2, a scrap metal magnet!!!

+1

My choice between the Impact or Equinox I would choose the Equinox.
For hunting where you list, myself I would NOT use the Impact too much like the Racer 2, a scrap metal magnet!!!

Still bashing the Makro line I see. I would look at the Kruzer to save weight over the Impact myself....maybe we will see a Impact 2 in the future a simultaneous multi frequency unit at less weight...that would be great.

Equinox great unit also but I would only buy if they get things updated correctly.

Hello everybody I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking into another metal detector for my arsenal. Currently I have a minelab se pro and a garret at pro. The kind of hunting I do is normally old homesites, farms/fields, and in iron infested colonial homesites. My two top choices are a Notka Impact and Eqinox 800, and I know both of these are fantastic detectors just finding a hard time deciding on which would best suit me.

I will say I am not making astounding finds with my 800 however it is a very good unmasker.
Also I am still learning it. Today I used noise cancel for first time and made it easier to hear targets.:facepalm::doah:

Still bashing the Makro line I see. I would look at the Kruzer to save weight over the Impact myself....maybe we will see a Impact 2 in the future a simultaneous multi frequency unit at less weight...that would be great.

Equinox great unit also but I would only buy if they get things updated correctly.

Until Makro figures out how to separate scrap metal from coins I will call them junk!!!!
When I get a coin readings on a detector and dig a 1 gallon bucket full of scrap metal, and NOT one coin that don't say much for the detector does it!!!

Even the Chinese have figured out how to separate metal from coins, why can't Makro?

Drop the Microphone!

This definitely has some validity.

DANG BRO, soon you will have black helicopters, and MIB that work for the MD companies chasing you down and you may end up missing.

Actually that's a great synopsis of what happens.

Until Makro figures out how to separate scrap metal from coins I will call them junk!!!!
When I get a coin readings on a detector and dig a 1 gallon bucket full of scrap metal, and NOT one coin that don't say much for the detector does it!!!

Even the Chinese have figured out how to separate metal from coins, why can't Makro?

I have a very good site absolutely filled with nails, sometimes a half dozen or more of all sizes per scoop. I used many detectors and coils Vaquero, XLT, F5, Conquistador, T2... I thought my vaquero with small coil performed the best but my Racer 1 has even out performed that recently. The separation and depth are very good and I like the simplicity. I wonder if you got a lemon or simply did not gel with the Racer?

I am thinking of buying a waterproof detector next and was considering the Kruser. Money is no object. What new machines would others recommend...it is all about speed/separation and want feedback from someone with experience on Kruzer VRS. NOX Deus etc.

How does it compare so far to the ATP?

I will say I am not making astounding finds with my 800 however it is a very good unmasker.
Also I am still learning it. Today I used noise cancel for first time and made it easier to hear targets.:facepalm::doah:

How does it compare so far to the ATP?

I just went from using the ATP for years to the Equinox 600 and the difference is like night and day. I am now aware of so much in the ground I wasn't aware of before and can pick coins , etc out of some of the trashiest areas that were pretty much impossible for the ATP. Not because I am slowing down with a new machine , I was very meticulous with the ATP and pushed every bit of ability out of that machine , which included slowing down to a snails pace when necessary and listening to every little peep of sound I could hear , giving it every chance I could in some of the toughest areas. The ATP is a hammer and the EQ is a scalpel.

And the only real regret I have for getting the 600 instead of waiting for the 800 is the inability to save custom programs , instead of an instant switch I have to push a few more buttons to set it up how I want it before hunting , but I'm finding that's really not a big deal in the long run. It would be nice to have the slightly faster recover speed of the 800 if I were to need it but the 600 is awesome fast without it so it unmasks and separates targets plenty fast , almost makes the ATP look like nothing but a toy. This 600 is finding long masked coins out of coin hunters nightmares all over the place. And this wasn't really an easy sell for me , I was a dedicated garrett guy and loved the ATP. :lol: I am just glad the gamble paid off since it wasn't easy parting with the cash for a new detector.

What you said is true a lot of times.... Sometimes and I mean sometimes something good and new comes along that allows you to see targets better than other detectors.

And in that bucket of scrap metal....was most of it Non Ferrous? A lot of scrap will fall into the coin VDI range on most ALL detectors. Need to rely more on audio. If the audio modulation is good on a detector a person can pick out audio nuances of coins without looking at a VDI screen. I really like what I see in the new Deeptech Gold gain units that run at 30khz.....very good analog audio circuity that alert the operator by unique sounds only no VDI. Digital machines tend to lose that ability with all the processing of signals.

And in that bucket of scrap metal....was most of it Non Ferrous? A lot of scrap will fall into the coin VDI range on most ALL detectors. Need to rely more on audio. If the audio modulation is good on a detector a person can pick out audio nuances of coins without looking at a VDI screen. I really like what I see in the new Deeptech Gold gain units that run at 30khz.....very good analog audio circuity that alert the operator by unique sounds only no VDI. Digital machines tend to lose that ability with all the processing of signals.

I would NOT call pieces of metal non ferrous that measure 2 1/2" wide 1/2" thick 10" long that a magnet sticks to, and other pieces around that size.
If my first one was a fluke lemon why would they send me another one the same?

I would NOT call pieces of metal non ferrous that measure 2 1/2" wide 1/2" thick 10" long that a magnet sticks to, and other pieces around that size.
If my first one was a fluke lemon why would they send me another one the same?

Equinox likes bottlecaps I hear.....so if you did a comparison of detectors on those same scraps it might surprise you.

Back
Top Bottom