Mojave Touch Up

Shot1

I've noticed a gap in the plastic on the top side where it fits down on the pole. You can actually see the circuit boards through the gap. Is this for ventilation purposes. If not ill put some silicone there to keep the crud out. Any info is appreciated. Thanks..

Sorry to hear that others been very high on that MD , get a hold of the CO.
If it is common problem they should have a fix . IMO all MDs should be water proof not just resistent , I hate the idea of a major problem because it started to RAIN , GL. ,,,,,HH

I really like the machine and its performance. If it's not for ventilation purposes it will be any easy fix. I will contact Tesoro and get their opinion. Thanks ..

Surprised your not getting hits from all the , Mojave Finds posters , .
Come on guys give a little help HERE! . You could Pm those guys , they may prefer a private conversation as to not get a bad rap for the MD on the forum .
GL , ,,,,,HH

I looked at all of my µMax Tesoro detectors and they all the same fit around the face plate at the pole as my Mojave. Nothing to worry about, the µMax detectors have been around for ages and they keep on ticking. Besides, they're covered with a lifetime warranty. Get out and go detecting.

beephead

I was hoping you would chime in Beephead as you have a lot of success with it.
Just to be clear in your opinion the hole does not need to be protected from water or dirt . If anything does get in through there and does screw it up , not a problem free repair , stated in the guarantee . I agree they have a great reputation . ,,,,,HH

It is NOT a ventalization spot. It is a defect. You need to call Tesoro and let them know. They will make it wright with you. Is there any way you can take a picture of it so we can be sure it is bad. None of mine have a spot like you are talking about. I hope we can help.. KEN

I keep a ziplock sandwich bag over the housing if I'm at a particularly dirty or muddy spot.
I split the seams an inch or so and make a diagonal cut on the end toward handle.
Zipper keeps it snug under the rod and you can move knobs through the plastic no problem.
I always keep one in my finds bag in case of rain too.

Noah

it is not a ventalization spot. It is a defect. You need to call tesoro and let them know. They will make it wright with you. Is there any way you can take a picture of it so we can be sure it is bad. None of mine have a spot like you are talking about. I hope we can help.. Ken

+1

i keep a ziplock sandwich bag over the housing if i'm at a particularly dirty or muddy spot.
I split the seams an inch or so and make a diagonal cut on the end toward handle.
Zipper keeps it snug under the rod and you can move knobs through the plastic no problem.
I always keep one in my finds bag in case of rain too.

Noah

+1

It is NOT a ventalization spot. It is a defect. You need to call Tesoro and let them know. They will make it wright with you. Is there any way you can take a picture of it so we can be sure it is bad. None of mine have a spot like you are talking about. I hope we can help.. KEN

I don't think it's a defect per se. They (Mojave) all have what Shot is talking about. Do not believe a new faceplate or body is going to fix it.

This is what shot is talking about. Personally I don't think it's an issue because the speaker slots would probably let more junk in.

093216a3b4639a28f5146ecf98d95dc4.jpg

You really need to look for it to notice.

7cb339766de5139c2da9ecef4ae1576e.jpg

3ad86e14f02c8fe4092145062c44155e.jpg

Thanks All. I'll put some silicone in the crack to seal it up. I figure the less dust inside the better.

I'm not trying to slam the machine whatsoever. I really am enjoying this detector. Just trying to button her up. I also cover the speaker slots to keep out trash.

The speaker is siliconed in the opening.
So you wouldn't have to worry about the louvers.
I open mine periodically and give it a blast with that aerosol "duster"
My compadre got pretty wet a few times and I never had any issues.
Started using the ziploc after that.

Noah

Last edited:
I'm not trying to slam the machine whatsoever. I really am enjoying this detector. Just trying to button her up. I also cover the speaker slots to keep out trash.

With the mix messages on the replies here , I'd call the company for sure , I would be worried . I'm always getting water ,mud , sand even bugs all over my MD . Can't see why they would build one to let all that junk inside unless they work better that way.
,,,,,HH

Here is my hobo rain jacket on my compadre.
Wouldn't worry about it as they have been using this housing for more than 15 years. If it was a problem it would have been changed by now.

Noah

Attachments

• ziploc.jpg
    ziploc.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 300
Shot1,

Attached is a picture of my Compadre and Bandido II µMax faceplates. My wife took the picture, as I held the tip-end of fingernail files very carefully at the juncture of the faceplate arc area and the brown housing. I could see the electrical wires inside the Compadre control box even before I allowed the file tip to slowly slide inside the housing for emphasis.

On the other hand, the Bandido II µMax faceplate was tight against the housing all the way around and the file tip did not go inside the control box one tiny bit !

I agree with dirtykneese, "it is NOT a ventalization spot. It is a defect. You need to call Tesoro and let them know. They will make it right with you."

If you're not satisfied with using silicone, I imagine Tesoro will say to leave the coil cord attached to the control box and coil, as I believe it is hard-wired inside. Then package and ship the coil, cord and control box (Keep the coil bolt and wing-nut home so it doesn't get lost.). But by all means, call Tesoro before you do anything. Talk with Rusty if he's available.

Good Luck,
ToddB64

Attachments

• 20170321_181116.jpg
    20170321_181116.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom