Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
So here is the plan...
Corned beef and cabbage for dinner, screw the boiling, roasting and everything else...this year we are crock potting.

First the bay leaf, onions, garlic and carrots to make a nice bed of veggies....

user10659_pic74575_1489760378.jpg

Then the meat goes on top, after I marinated it of course...

user10659_pic74574_1489760342.jpg

A nice mixture of beef broth, Dijon mustard, Brown sugar and that little spice packet that comes with the beef is all mixed up and poured over the whole shebang.....

user10659_pic74573_1489760342.jpg

Red potatoes are next, washed and quartered....

user10659_pic74572_1489760342.jpg

Top on, maneuvering thrusters on low Scottie at 9:00 AM and cook till 3:30...
I go hunting till that time and find some spectacular stuff.

user10659_pic74571_1489760342.jpg

Then, and only then, you cut up into some wedges and add the cabbage for the last 1.5 hours.
You want the cabbage to be soft but not too soft...gotta still have a little texture.
This is a cabbage....

user10659_pic74570_1489760342.jpg

At about 5 PM today we come to a full stop, pull the meat out and slice it, pour the veggies into colander and drain the liquid then arrange in a bowl so it all looks good in case Martha Stewart drops by....that would be a good thing.

Then, we do something else but I can't remember what right now....oh yea...WE FEAST!

"I did not fight my way up to the top of the food chain to become a dammed vegetarian!"

Finished pictures of our hopefully very pretty and succulent meal to come at about 5:23 later today.

Last edited:
OK...so heres a great big Irish Traveler Alabama cabbage fart fixing to happen!...try to play 'Danny Boy' out yer tailpipe standing in line down at the Piggley Wiggley?!

Everybody would be like, "What? Are you some sort of Yankee or something?"....:laughing::laughing:

Very good write up. I've decided to make our Jiggs dinner tomorrow instead of today because with me being a truck driver and having to drive down to Louisville tonight, I don't want to have to make an emergency stop to use the bathroom somewhere while on the road.

OK...so heres a great big Irish Traveler Alabama cabbage fart fixing to happen!...try to play 'Danny Boy' out yer tailpipe standing in line down at the Piggley Wiggley?!

Everybody would be like, "What? Are you some sort of Yankee or something?"....:laughing::laughing:

Ahhhhh....Piggly Wiggly.
If you ever come near one of these go in, head for the frozen section and pick up some Arnone's Sausage.
Thank me later.

Attachments

• 13076629_10153370696191923_7000315357273962617_n.jpg
    13076629_10153370696191923_7000315357273962617_n.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 183

Here ya go Mud..
giphy.gif

Looks very good Chef Digger !!!!
:chef2: :eat: :eat: :eat: :eat:

I went to the local grocery store today, corned beef was listed on sale, but I couldn't find any, even the meat dept worker was nowhere to be found :?:

.....no problem though, wasn't planning on cooking it till tomorrow anyhow, I'll check back at the store in the morning, so nothing to "beef" about :lol:

Here is the recipe I used...my gawd did this come out great!
http://www.today.com/recipes/slow-cooker-corned-beef-cabbage-t8521

I will never boil another corned beef again.

I screwed it up a little but it seemed to help it or at least made the meat more tender.
The recipe says low heat the whole time but I had it on high for 4 hours then turned it down to low.
If this thing had a bone the beef would have literally fallen off of it.
Sticking a fork into it to slice the thing wasn't easy because it almost tore the meat to shreds, used a sharp knife to slice otherwise it would have been a mess.
Cooking on low the whole way I would expect it would have had a bit more substance and would stay together better if using a slicer to cut it thin like a deli does.
I have eaten some fantastic corned beef and pastrami in some great delis in my time and this would stand up next to all of them.
In great delis I grew up on one of those huge sandwiches some serve that you can barely open your mouth big enough to get around them are usually about $10-12 or even more now, worth it because this is way more than a normal person can eat so at least a couple of sandwiches in these.
Usually I would eat one half and take the other home with some extra bread and make two more sandwiches out of the other half.
Here is a one pounder from the Bread Basket deli in the Detroit area....
A regular sandwich here is like $8, a large one like I usually order is more like $12-$16 and one this size from this place is $20.

download (3).jpg

Here is a more normal sized sandwich from the Stage Deli in W. Bloomfield....$16.

sandwiches.jpg

This meat I used was 3 lbs and cost me a little over $10 so it would have made me at least 3 of those huge things or 6-8 regular large sandwiches, probably a lot more, that still would cost you at least $12 in any decent restaurant.
A nice onion roll or fresh rye bread and a bit of deli mustard or thousand island dressing, maybe a slice of swiss or Cole slaw and I am sure you could not tell my sandwich from the pro's in a blind taste test...it was that good.

The recipe says two carrots but I used 4 and that still wasn't enough for the wife because they were fantastic.
The potatoes also came out perfect and tender.
The cabbage was soft but still had a little bite to it so also perfect.
If you like real soft cabbage just throw it in the pot an hour earlier.
The recipe says use beer but I just used extra beef broth.
Beer might add a little more dimension to the flavor profile.
I used no other seasonings so I added some salt and pepper at the table.
It was great but I like a little more so next time I will play with the recipe a bit and add some seasoning salt or a few other things during cooking.
Keep some of the broth around for dipping if you make sandwiches instead.

The wife could not stop raving about this meal, I am a great cook but this came out better than I could have hoped and even I was in awe of what I had done...this recipe has moved up to the top of the list and we will definitely do this more often.

I gotta find me one of those industrial slicers, can't find a decent deli here in Birmingham that comes close to the ones in Detroit so with this recipe I can make all the great comfort food huge sandwiches I want myself.

Attachments

• user10659_pic74591_1489831642.jpg
    user10659_pic74591_1489831642.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 106
  • user10659_pic74592_1489831642.jpg
    user10659_pic74592_1489831642.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 102
  • user10659_pic74593_1489831642.jpg
    user10659_pic74593_1489831642.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Back