Shigger (Shovel-Digger) Fix

OleSarge

Elite Member
My wrists are bad and the Washington State dirt is rocky and sometimes hard to dig.
I respect well maintained turf and a full sized shovel is too gawky for cutting neat plugs.
So, I took a small garden shovel, my metal cutting Roto-tool, and made myself a "D" handled digger (shigger).
I cut away enough of the shovel blade to give me the width I wanted for a decent sized digger and then I cut in serrations for those stubborn roots,
The handle was removed and shortened to the length shown for easy handling from a stooped position and storage in the car hatch.
The "D" handle gives me a lot more force to sink the spade into the ground and retract it after a cut is made.

Attachments

• shigger 3.jpg
    shigger 3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 512
  • shigger 2.jpg
    shigger 2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 460
  • shigger 1.jpg
    shigger 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 489
That's pretty sweet!! I've been thinking of doing the same thing.. thanks!

Nice job , congrats ,,,,HH

I love DIY stuff. I'm new to the game and soak up all the tips I can find. I like it.

Thanks for the positive and appreciated comments.
blkcloud, the shovel only cost a few dollars and I keep my Rotozip handy with some backup Harbor Freight metal cut off wheels.
I think it took all of 30 minutes, and, even at the risk of sounding conceited, I really like how it works.
My handheld digger tends to dig a nearly vertical slot but with the longer handle and a little more control I can slice sod like you'd cut a watermelon, in more of a wedge with a narrow bottom.
that makes pulling the plug out a lot easier and I don't have to break the grass roots.
Oblivion, I like to dig an area around a old farm site and its really rough digging. I usually use a Army entrenching tool but it's awkward to carry around and is usually too much tool for the job.
But the roots from the brush and trees will trash a Lesche in a heart beat.
Hopefully this shigger will solve that problem.

AT Pro/GPP-AT-Shigger Digger

Back
Top Bottom