Police called detecting curb strip.

Excellent! You got your first Cop Call! Living right on the edge Buddy! This is just another FUN part of the Sport! Muggle issues can make for some great and hilarious posts! You aint really a detectorist unless you get the old 'Heave Ho' a couple of times!!

I got run out of an old abandoned Parish school by a Priest once! The guy snuck right up on my six and scared the bejebus outta me! He was all dressed in black as is their fashion...I thought The Grim Reaper finally got me there...!

He was all worried about the 'sprinkler system' or something...there was no sprinkler system, and I was just using the screwdriver anyway...I dont know where the hell he came from...like I said, the place was abandoned...

Yes I have had teh police called on me while curbstrip hunting.
Once I even had a cop come home from work, to his house, where I was hunting his curbstrip!
The guy came unglued and threatened to "kick my ass"
That was not a good day:no:
Matt, you made me laugh. I need to hear the whole story at the next meeting.

Excellent! You got your first Cop Call! Living right on the edge Buddy! This is just another FUN part of the Sport! Muggle issues can make for some great and hilarious posts! You aint really a detectorist unless you get the old 'Heave Ho' a couple of times!!

I got run out of an old abandoned Parish school by a Priest once! The guy snuck right up on my six and scared the bejebus outta me! He was all dressed in black as is their fashion...I thought The Grim Reaper finally got me there...!

He was all worried about the 'sprinkler system' or something...there was no sprinkler system, and I was just using the screwdriver anyway...I dont know where the hell he came from...like I said, the place was abandoned...
Mud, funny story, you put a smile on my face.

Park hunter & i were hunting the sidewalk strip around a 1800s house, the owner called the cops after harassing us for 5 minutes, we finally left, went up the street, a cop confronted us, i talked to him, then he went to the owner to tell him it's legal, not on his property, every time i talk to Park hunter now, i say let's go back to that sidewalk strip, that we got harassed :yes::laughing:

:hornetsnest::hornetsnest::hornetsnest::dingding:

Throw some more gasoline on that fire!

My son and I were detecting curb strips in an "entitled" neighborhood a few months ago when a woman came out of her house to complain. Tried to explain it was legal but she stated she was calling the cops. As she turned to leave I switched on iron audio on my AT Gold and got several good noisy grunts. I loudly tell my son that the "radiation is so much worse at this end of town, let's go before we get the sickness again" and started walking away. The look on her face was priceless :blink: and well worth having to move on. We didn't find much that day, no police ever showed up but I have had so much fun retelling this story it was worth it.

Last edited:
I hunt curb strips all the time and have never had a problem. But I only hunt them at night, after 10:30. I've had a few drunks stumble past me but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I hunt curbs often, had a cop talk to me once but he was just curious about detecting, was real nice. Had a few homeowners yell at me but I always just smile at them and leave. Personally though I wouldn't wear a neon vest or anything, probably why they called the cops in the first place. It's not illegal to detect curbs so why try to "disguise" yourself, as if what you're doing is wrong...? You wouldn't impersonate a lifeguard if you went to the beach right? Just my 2 cents...

Had the cops called on me several times at public parks/schools when I first started out. Hunted curb strips twice. After nearly being run over and having teenagers yell "NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD" at me, I just decided it wasn't worth it.

Funny part is i'd guess 95% of cops have no idea what the law pertaining to MD in public even is.

Yep sure have. Cops can ASK you to move along to another house but you don't have to comply. You are on public property.

I had a guy with a badge tell me to get off his property also. Trouble is he was impersonating a cop and I was a cop. I went to reach for my badge and he told me to keep my hands where he could see them. I told him I was going to go back and detect and ignored him. He stated someone was going to jail. About 10 - 20 minutes later two Salt Lake cops showed up. I put my machine down, told them I was armed and I was a state cop. They asked for my ID and I gave it to them. I told them the story and he was right. Someone went to jail. They arrested him for impersonating a police officer. He had a security guard badge on his belt and I knew it.

Anyone every have the police called in this situation?

Yep - worn that t-shirt out!!! One of the times I was hunting a ten foot wide grassy median strip and saw a guy on his front porch having coffee and a smoke. Just by how he was watching me I knew I would be expecting some company. The cop shows up, asks if I found anything, and I show him the "Merc" I just found. His yaw-dropping expression was priceless - he then looks up and down the median looks at me and says good luck hope you find more - drives off..... not much else was said. Porch man slammed his front door - I grinned...........

I like hunting places where others haven't.............

Yep sure have. Cops can ASK you to move along to another house but you don't have to comply. You are on public property.

I had a guy with a badge tell me to get off his property also. Trouble is he was impersonating a cop and I was a cop. I went to reach for my badge and he told me to keep my hands where he could see them. I told him I was going to go back and detect and ignored him. He stated someone was going to jail. About 10 - 20 minutes later two Salt Lake cops showed up. I put my machine down, told them I was armed and I was a state cop. They asked for my ID and I gave it to them. I told them the story and he was right. Someone went to jail. They arrested him for impersonating a police officer. He had a security guard badge on his belt and I knew it.

Aahhahahaha!! Oh man, that's gotta be the best burn ever on one of these losers. Man it must be nice being both a detectorist AND an officer of the law. Great job!!!

I thought curb strips were one of those things that, yes, they are public property, but are maintained by the homeowner, and as such, permission should be asked out of respect?

I thought curb strips were one of those things that, yes, they are public property, but are maintained by the homeowner, and as such, permission should be asked out of respect?

This is what I would do,if I were detecting curb strips,which I'm not. Even a tearout,which I HAVE detected,if in front of a private residence,should be asked about.
"Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD"....me

This is what I would do,if I were detecting curb strips,which I'm not. Even a tearout,which I HAVE detected,if in front of a private residence,should be asked about.
"Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD"....me

We all do what we feel is right. I protect my rights as most on here know. NO harm in leaving and coming back anther day. However, I am not causing damage and I am respectful. However I so far have never backed down.

It is the same with returning a gold ring. Some do it others don't. Do what YOU feel you should do and don't look back.

I consider md'ing to be an act of respect in itself. Any place I hunt, I "respect" it and respect the finds I make :)

But seriously now folks: M'ding has "connotations". So, just like parks and schools (any turf), you sometimes need to go at lower traffic times to avoid such lookie-lous.

I hunt curb strips all the time and have never had a problem. But I only hunt them at night, after 10:30. I've had a few drunks stumble past me but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If I were curb stripping at night, the cops would be all over it. They would be upset with me because they'd be getting lots of calls about this "strange behavior"
If you hunt here at night, in town, people will assume you are doing something you're not supposed to be doing.:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom