Cannon ball? need some help from the pros

Dogfisch

Hi guys I live up in Pound Ridge NY and acquired this ball from a friend who claims this was a canaan ball that was found inside a very old house in south salem NY. First of all I need to know if it is a cannon ball at all. It looks like it spent most of its life in the ground since there is a lot of pitting. If it is in fact a cannonball it would be interesting to see from when. There wasn't too much civil war activity up in these towns in NY but there was a lot of revolutionary war activity. Please weigh in on it. The ball measures approximately 3" in diameter but it looks closer to 2-5/8". Using a flexible tape I measured the circumference at 8-1/2". it weighs close to 3lbs but I don't have a shipping scale.

Attachments

• IMG_6240.jpg
    IMG_6240.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,871
  • IMG_6241.jpg
    IMG_6241.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_6242.jpg
    IMG_6242.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,156
Could be some form of grape shot, your measurements seem close and this kind of ammo goes back to even before the civil war.
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/projectiles/canister/IIIA31.htm

Canister shot is usually smaller, a bit bigger than a golf ball.

This could also be a mill ball because they came in all kinds of sizes, were also made out of iron and are often confused with ammunition.
These were used in mills to break up big things into smaller things in drums while spinning or tumbling.

Information and the history of where these type of objects are found are often the only clues you might have available to tell the difference.

With no info available I would probably assume grape shot and be happy with that.

Attachments

• photostudio_1489064896906.jpg
    photostudio_1489064896906.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,080
Cannon Ball

Hi guys I live up in Pound Ridge NY and acquired this ball from a friend who claims this was a canaan ball that was found inside a very old house in south salem NY. First of all I need to know if it is a cannon ball at all. It looks like it spent most of its life in the ground since there is a lot of pitting. If it is in fact a cannonball it would be interesting to see from when. There wasn't too much civil war activity up in these towns in NY but there was a lot of revolutionary war activity. Please weigh in on it. The ball measures approximately 3" in diameter but it looks closer to 2-5/8". Using a flexible tape I measured the circumference at 8-1/2". it weighs close to 3lbs but I don't have a shipping scale.

Looks to me like a British 3 lb cannon ball, but more precise measurements are necessary. These "Grasshopper" guns were used by the British in the americas prior to the Rev War, during the Rev War and during the war of 1812. They were used by light artillery battalions in support of Infantry.
Thats is the most likely answer!

Thanks guys, I tried measuring the diameter a little closer and it looks to be 2-3/4", about the size of a tennis ball. The "grasshopper" cannon might be possible since there was a good amount of British raids and battles in the area. If the ball is British should there be the arrow mark on it? This ball has no identifiable markings.

Sizes

Your ball will need to land very very close to these to be a cannonball

Gun Diameter
Bore of shot Weight
3-Pdr. 2.9 2.84 3.05

Back
Top Bottom